2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
201 - 220 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,404 Posts
“From what i can tell, the mics are fairly basic and just require + and -, and since there are two there are two positive and two negative wires.”

SO, I finally got around to trying this and I did not get it to work. Anyone have any success???
The factory microphones (in most automobiles) these day have a different impedence (and are sometimes amplified as well) than do aftermarket microphones.
The best most people can do would be to run the mic that came with the aftermarket stereo up to where the factory mic is. :cool:

Reactions: ArizonaFred

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,128 Posts
Yes, that was how I had it setup, using the aftermarket supplied mic, but figured it wasn’t that hard to give it a try. I hate having extra stuff on the dash,etc. I just plugged the aftermarket mic back in and it’s all set.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 · (Edited)
Im still waiting on my unit from Teyes.
When you get it? Before you use it run this update! It fixes a lot of minor issues especially with Teyes Voice control. You can find the update listed in this link
CC3 Firmware - August 2022

Important Note
In my video I had power conditioning set to 55. With this new update it needs to be lower! After the update Set the "power conditioning to 34" or it will be far too loud! If its still too loud even at lower volumes for you? Set it to 32 or 30.
Font Sky Screenshot Electric blue Electronic device

Also Copy these DPS (equalizer) Settings and then manually tweak them from there
Audio equipment Gadget Font Machine Multimedia

Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Gas Gadget Electronic device

Font Plant Technology Gadget Display device

·
Registered
43 Posts
As an FYI, if you ever plan to change to custom firmware, the August update prevents rollbacks and locks the unit down more from using not Teyes apps and modifcations like OBD, TPMS:

Im not sure I care enough to do custom firmware (especially from a Russian source), but just a consideration for those who do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes. Tried 1 first, all I heard was static or a wind noise. I was in the garage with the door closed 🤣. Not sure what went wrong, could they be activated by the head unit somehow and the 3.5 mm jack to the aftermarket head doesn’t cut it? IDK….
Ive been spending more time researching this and came across this post regarding someone using a 3rd party microphone with factory uconnect and it required 12v and ground because its an amplified microphone:

I found the rearview mirror wiring diagram:

and the mirror does have 12V switched and ground going to it. Im wondering if you lose that 12v when upgrading to aftermarket and if so, we can run a new 12v switched source there to possibly get the mic working. When i get my CC3 ill take a multimeter and see if there is still voltage to the mirror.

This is for a T&C, but i think the idea is the same:

If you read through, the mic does need 12v and ground. I wouldnt be surprised if the mirror loses its power when the Uconnect is pulled. If you have a multimeter and time, id be interested to see. Otherwise ill check when mine gets here. Its finally on the plane from China, 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
As an FYI, if you ever plan to change to custom firmware, the August update prevents rollbacks and locks the unit down more from using not Teyes apps and modifcations like OBD, TPMS:
I personally will never do custom firmware because it voids warranty.

Either rooting it or using custom firmware voids the warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought one for my sons 2015. Looking forward to having apple car play and Waze/google maps on his screen. So much safer than relying on prompts. Anyone know how long shipping is taking these days? Thanks. I’m sure plenty of questions to come!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 · (Edited)
Just bought one for my sons 2015. Looking forward to having apple car play and Waze/google maps on his screen. So much safer than relying on prompts. Anyone know how long shipping is taking these days? Thanks. I’m sure plenty of questions to come!
Did you watch my videos? I have a very heavy disclaimer in my video about buying these things. My first video is really important because it has a very heavy disclaimer on there

When it comes to Android head units it's not like buying a pioneer. You really need to know what you're getting into.

I have 3 videos. Starting with this one

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ordered mine for my 2015 Trailhawk on 7/9 and it arrived 7/29 with the wrong color bezel. Now waiting on the correct bezel. I plan on installing this weekend and will change out the bezel when it arrives.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
I ordered mine for my 2015 Trailhawk on 7/9 and it arrived 7/29 with the wrong color bezel. Now waiting on the correct bezel. I plan on installing this weekend and will change out the bezel when it arrives.
Yeah they have added a Bezel selection to the website so that cant happen anymore. Remember you have to transfer the "white clips" and the air vents from the factory bezel to the new one. So id wait for the correct bezel. Id email Dan. [email protected] He was super helpful with all my questions and issues

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah they have added a Bezel selection to the website so that cant happen anymore. Remember you have to transfer the "white clips" and the air vents from the factory bezel to the new one. So id wait for the correct bezel. Id email Dan. [email protected]
When I ordered mine there was no color selection possible. I assume they all came the same color. I learned the hard way.
So you're saying there's a chance of breaking the clips by transferring them more than once?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
So you're saying there's a chance of breaking the clips by transferring them more than once?
Not really? Its just "a processes" took me about 10min total. So thats why id wait. either that or just transfer the top 3 clips. The bottom will hold down with screws. the top 3 clips is all you need to transfer really anyway

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll consider that but I'm kind of antsy to get it installed. It's been sitting here in the box for about a week now

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
I'll consider that but I'm kind of antsy to get it installed. It's been sitting here in the box for about a week now
Install it and only copy over the top 3 clips for the top row of pins. Ez Pz. Like I said thats all you need anyway. They are the only clips I coped over. the bottom is held secure with screws so you really dont need the others

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gotcha. I have your videos saved for future reference.
The only thing I didn't see a reference to was where the canbus gets plugged in. I might find this out by process of elimination but if you have a quick reply on this I'd appreciate it. Thank you again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
The only thing I didn't see a reference to was where the canbus gets plugged in. I might find this out by process of elimination but if you have a quick reply on this I'd appreciate it. Thank you again.
To the main wiring harness. There is a plug for it. Its pretty cut and dry when you open the box.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
All these android units install the same way. I know this is a differant unit but this video may help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Very kind of you. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
CWWJR is correct, not all aftermarket heads will work with the KL. There are options though, but they are more expensive. I researched the hell out of it before I went through Crutchfield. I went with a Kenwood head, IData Mestrio link, and the only thing I lost was: upcoming turn in the dash center display and the compass heading in the dash display. Yes, it was expensive, but not much more than replacing with the same OEM head. i wanted a 10” screen and wireless CarPlay and there was no oem like that. The cost was worth it to me. Install was fairly easy (4 on the 1-10 scale) but I am used to radio swaps. As far as retaining factory controls, I lost nothing. Voice control still works through my phone, HVAC,heated steering wheel,heated seats, brake service settings, everything works. I did look at the android head, but I felt it did fit my needs. I like my Kenwood and am happy I went that route. Checkout Crutchfield to see what your options are. They know what fits and works and what doesn’t.
Exactly which model of kenwood headunit did you get?

You didn’t go with the pac amppro?

·
Registered
139 Posts
CWWJR, a couple more questions..... 1) Do the factory USB's and SD Card slot work properly after installation? 2) What to do with the three USB cables included in the kit? I plugged the cable with the blue ended connector into port (D) "USB Port Single" is that correct? 3) What is the SIM card slot used for on the bottom of the unit? 4) Does the 5G WiFi antenna get stuck anywhere under the dash? I have not yet connected the blue ANT wire together.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic engineering

201 - 220 of 278 Posts