2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
181 - 200 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Thank you so much for the information! Very interested, in purchasing the unit. Which one exactly did you purchase? I see there are different memory size and 4G and 3G not sure if that matters. Also, will the ventilated seats work? My Jeep has both, heated and ventilated.
The 4g+64gb I got. And what that means is 4Gb ram+ 64gb storage. I don't know your storage needs so I can't answer that question but if you want to install a lot of stuff on the head unit itself Id get the 6gb ram+128gb storage. If you're storage needs are light I'd get the 64. If you're just using it for Android auto I'd get the 32.

If you're going to get one I'd watch all three videos I have three of them on page 7 of this thread

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 4g+64gb I got. And what that means is 4Gb ram+ 64gb storage. I don't know your storage needs so I can't answer that question but if you want to install a lot of stuff on the head unit itself Id get the 6gb ram+128gb storage. If you're storage needs are light I'd get the 64. If you're just using it for Android auto I'd get the 32.

If you're going to get one I'd watch all three videos I have three of them on page 7 of this thread
A couple questions if you don't mind.

I see you had mentioned as a reply to having to pay for their voice control that you can switch it to google. Is this strictly for using with google maps, or will voice control work for other things without having to pay? Will my steering wheel controls work to use similar to how I do now to press the button and say "Call John" etc, or would I have to press things on the head unit to initiate this, or would it require the subscription to do so?

Did you by any chance try their dashcam solution and do you have any ideas about that? For 50$ I am wondering if it is worth picking up if I go down this route vs buying a more expensive standalone unit if I were interested.

The unit storage is strictly for apps and loading things directly onto the unit, correct? If I wanted to listen to music I can always plug in a flash drive or microsd card etc and just play from there so 64gigs should be more than enough for most people right? At least that's how it sounds in your last post.

I have not had a chance to watch the most recent video yet as I am at work so I apologize if you mentioned anything regarding my questions. Very interested in this unit and just trying to ask any questions I can think of to make sure it would do everything I need it to or function as I expect.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 · (Edited)
A couple questions if you don't mind.

I see you had mentioned as a reply to having to pay for their voice control that you can switch it to google. Is this strictly for using with google maps, or will voice control work for other things without having to pay? Will my steering wheel controls work to use similar to how I do now to press the button and say "Call John" etc, or would I have to press things on the head unit to initiate this, or would it require the subscription to do so?

Did you by any chance try their dashcam solution and do you have any ideas about that? For 50$ I am wondering if it is worth picking up if I go down this route vs buying a more expensive standalone unit if I were interested.

The unit storage is strictly for apps and loading things directly onto the unit, correct? If I wanted to listen to music I can always plug in a flash drive or microsd card etc and just play from there so 64gigs should be more than enough for most people right? At least that's how it sounds in your last post.

I have not had a chance to watch the most recent video yet as I am at work so I apologize if you mentioned anything regarding my questions. Very interested in this unit and just trying to ask any questions I can think of to make sure it would do everything I need it to or function as I expect.
Most of your questions you're asking where answered my first two videos I literally talked about it.

I paid for their voice control. Upon installation you will have to launch their voice control app and change the language to English. Yes you can tell it to call people.

I kept my factory backup camera. Yes you can always have music on a flash drive I do this myself. You really need to listen to the disclaimer in my first video. Based on your questions it seems you kind of skipped around when watching the videos and missed things. I explained things in detail in my first and second video so I'm trying to avoid typing it all out again here.

My disclaimer about Android units in my first video it's pretty important. So I'd watch all three videos in their entirety and it may answer most of your questions and help simplify things for you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jeez, just asking for some clarification since you're the only one here with experience and knowledge. You didn't even read my questions as I never mentioned the backup camera, has absolutely nothing to do with what I was asking about. I also just rewatched the first 2 videos and unless I am completely missing something, voice control was never discussed or mentioned in the videos aside from one post a couple pages back telling someone they should have kept it because you knew of a way to fix it but I felt that did not answer my specific question which is why I tried to ask a more detailed specific question regarding what part of the voice control. In the videos you just say "factory features work flawlessly" so is that supposed to be my answer that it will just work flawlessly the way it did before end all be all, but that's not quite the case because someone else couldn't get voice to work and you gave them different instructions for how to change it to make it work with their maps it sounded like. Sorry to be such a bother and ask the literal 1 person who has used this and has any knowledge or experience with a question prior to making a decision. Anyway thanks for the previous information I'll have to make a decision and figure it out myself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Jeez, just asking for some clarification since you're the only one here with experience and knowledge. You didn't even read my questions as I never mentioned the backup camera, has absolutely nothing to do with what I was asking about. I also just rewatched the first 2 videos and unless I am completely missing something, voice control was never discussed or mentioned in the videos aside from one post a couple pages back telling someone they should have kept it because you knew of a way to fix it but I felt that did not answer my specific question which is why I tried to ask a more detailed specific question regarding what part of the voice control. In the videos you just say "factory features work flawlessly" so is that supposed to be my answer that it will just work flawlessly the way it did before end all be all, but that's not quite the case because someone else couldn't get voice to work and you gave them different instructions for how to change it to make it work with their maps it sounded like. Sorry to be such a bother and ask the literal 1 person who has used this and has any knowledge or experience with a question prior to making a decision. Anyway thanks for the previous information I'll have to make a decision and figure it out myself.
If you buy a more expensive unit like a Pioneer you are going to pay well over $800 and only get a 7" screen. Like I discussed in the options on page one of this thread.

You can't just buy the head unit the idatalink system is a must to retain your factory features. You will need Pioneer or something and not all units are compatible with it. So again you can't just buy any head unit you have to buy one specifically compatible with the idatalink system when I priced out something with a 9" screen or bigger it was 1,000$ just for the head unit and another $450 for the idatalink setup and dash kit

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 · (Edited)
Jeez, just asking for some clarification
Yes all steering wheel controls work just like they do on the factory one. If you hit the voice command button on the steering wheel it launches their voice app. If you get a text message while driving it will read it just like the factory unit will. If you are using android auto this will happen also and its done by Android. If you are less experienced with Android and what you can and cant do using it in a car? Id recommend just using android auto on the unit. This way most of the Apps will run off your phone and not natively on the unit. You can also go with a smaller storage option due to this. Android Auto works wirelessly and will connect when you start the car and launch carlink 2.0. Same for Apple carplay. So you may enjoy just using android auto/carplay instead of doing nothing natively on the unit. Especially if your primary use is pandora or Spotify + google maps or waze.

I hope both these answer add clarification. If you provide me a list of specific questions I will answer them. You can PM me here and I will answer your specific question ok?

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,128 Posts
CWWJR is correct, not all aftermarket heads will work with the KL. There are options though, but they are more expensive. I researched the hell out of it before I went through Crutchfield. I went with a Kenwood head, IData Mestrio link, and the only thing I lost was: upcoming turn in the dash center display and the compass heading in the dash display. Yes, it was expensive, but not much more than replacing with the same OEM head. i wanted a 10” screen and wireless CarPlay and there was no oem like that. The cost was worth it to me. Install was fairly easy (4 on the 1-10 scale) but I am used to radio swaps. As far as retaining factory controls, I lost nothing. Voice control still works through my phone, HVAC,heated steering wheel,heated seats, brake service settings, everything works. I did look at the android head, but I felt it did fit my needs. I like my Kenwood and am happy I went that route. Checkout Crutchfield to see what your options are. They know what fits and works and what doesn’t.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 · (Edited)
i wanted a 10” screen and wireless CarPlay and there was no oem like that. The cost was worth it to me. Install was fairly easy (4 on the 1-10 scale) but I am used to radio swaps.
And here with this unit they will get just that for one fee of 480$ roughly depending on the conversion rate at the time of sale. Thats what I paid shipped to my door. Like I recommended above if less tech savvy just use android auto instead of installing apps on it natively on the unit.

You are right though it WILL be $$ if going the idatalink route especially with a larger than 9" screen. It may help the individual ArizonaFred if you provide links to whatactly you bought and how much all it cost you. This may help folks weigh out their options. The Idatalink route is also the ONLY way to retain actual SiriusXM and not have to rely on internet and use the android app.

Pictures of your setup me help also

·
Registered
65 Posts
CWWJR is correct, not all aftermarket heads will work with the KL. There are options though, but they are more expensive. I researched the hell out of it before I went through Crutchfield. I went with a Kenwood head, IData Mestrio link, and the only thing I lost was: upcoming turn in the dash center display and the compass heading in the dash display. Yes, it was expensive, but not much more than replacing with the same OEM head. i wanted a 10” screen and wireless CarPlay and there was no oem like that. The cost was worth it to me. Install was fairly easy (4 on the 1-10 scale) but I am used to radio swaps. As far as retaining factory controls, I lost nothing. Voice control still works through my phone, HVAC,heated steering wheel,heated seats, brake service settings, everything works. I did look at the android head, but I felt it did fit my needs. I like my Kenwood and am happy I went that route. Checkout Crutchfield to see what your options are. They know what fits and works and what doesn’t.
I understand all of this and simply was looking for some more specific information about a couple things. I understand the cost and restrictions with going with a separate unit like that which is why my choices are basically, try and buy a used uconnect, repair mine or get this android solution and with the prices being fairly similar for all options, I am considering the android solution and just wanted to make sure I understood a couple things properly and there is limited info about these units, let alone from someone installing in the same vehicle as me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
I understand all of this and simply was looking for some more specific information about a couple things. I understand the cost and restrictions with going with a separate unit like that which is why my choices are basically, try and buy a used uconnect, repair mine or get this android solution and with the prices being fairly similar for all options, I am considering the android solution and just wanted to make sure I understood a couple things properly and there is limited info about these units, let alone from someone installing in the same vehicle as me.
They are roughly $350 on eBay. The VP4

Just search for Uconnect 8.4 VP4

I told you you can pm me with specific questions about my unit and I will answer them

·
Registered
43 Posts
Placed my order today. Ordered the 6G ram, 128G Rom model. Probably overkill, but i wanted the extra ram to avoid any lag. I know i probably didnt need the extra ram, but it gives me peace of mind. Was ~$450 shipped after conversion from AUD to USD. I emailed Dan with Teyes to get the silver trim like he said to do, so fingers crossed it matches. We shall see. Taking CWWJRs advice and trying the built in mic first. If im dissatisfied, ill try to tie in with the OEM mic. ArizonaFred, if you do attempt to tie yours in do reply back here so we know if its a viable solution. If i do go external mic, id much rather use the OEM one than running an aftermarket one.

Tmobile had an unlimited tablet data plan for $10/mo for business customers so im going to try that instead of a hotspot if the deal is still active. Their website still shows it. To be considered a business is pretty lax. Im a software developer and have an app on the app store, so ill try using that since it shows my name with the listing. I guess gig workers (uber, lyft) also qualify, i used to do that and still have an active account, so if my app store listing doesnt work ill try my uber account and see how that goes. $10/mo would be worth it to not have to mess with hotspot ever.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Tmobile had an unlimited tablet data plan for $10/mo for business customers so im going to try that instead of a hotspot if the deal is still active. Their website still shows it. To be considered a business is pretty lax. Im a software developer and have an app on the app store, so ill try using that since it shows my name with the listing. I guess gig workers (uber, lyft) also qualify, i used to do that and still have an active account, so if my app store listing doesnt work ill try my uber account and see how that goes. $10/mo would be worth it to not have to mess with hotspot ever.
I may be wrong but last time I looked into that plan the unlimited portion of it applied to watches and things like that not tablets. Tablets had a specific GB usage it's in the fine print on the plan and they put unlimited in big bold letters. Like I said I could be wrong but I'd look into it further

Just install this app it makes turning your hotspot on super easy it's literally one button on your home screen
Font Rectangle Screenshot Circle Number

·
Registered
43 Posts
I may be wrong but last time I looked into that plan the unlimited portion of it applied to watches and things like that not tablets. Tablets had a specific GB usage it's in the fine print on the plan and they put unlimited in big bold letters. Like I said I could be wrong but I'd look into it further

Just install this app it makes turning your hotspot on super easy it's literally one button on your home screen
View attachment 220112
Unfortunately, im using iPhone so its not that simple.

but regarding the plan

I guess for business, its truly unlimited + 10gb of hotspot:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/uldnz0 https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/tcajz3 https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/ue5zag
Following this
https://www.t-mobile.com/business/tablet/samsung-galaxy-tab-a7-lite?sku=610214669933

and adding Magenta Business Tablet 10GB Promo gives $10 tax included

·
Registered
43 Posts
Still waiting on my CC3 to ship. Planning on hooking up an amp and sub, but was wondering if you happened to have an oscilloscope, CWWJR1681, and could test what the max volume level was before clipping on the preouts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 · (Edited)
Still waiting on my CC3 to ship. Planning on hooking up an amp and sub, but was wondering if you happened to have an oscilloscope, CWWJR1681, and could test what the max volume level was before clipping on the preouts?
I have literally no experience with this. I have the stock 9 speaker sound system.

I would Search YouTube for teyes CC3 review. Maybe someone has the information you're looking for

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,128 Posts
“From what i can tell, the mics are fairly basic and just require + and -, and since there are two there are two positive and two negative wires.”

SO, I finally got around to trying this and I did not get it to work. Anyone have any success???

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 · (Edited)
Small Update:
I installed a third party launcher today and I absolutely love the system even more now!

This new launcher really gives it a clean OEM look!
Its called AGAMA Car Launcher.
White Automotive design Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

·
Registered
43 Posts
“From what i can tell, the mics are fairly basic and just require + and -, and since there are two there are two positive and two negative wires.”

SO, I finally got around to trying this and I did not get it to work. Anyone have any success???
Im still waiting on my unit from Teyes. So odd that it didnt work at all since its just positive and negative wires. By chance, did you try to see if hooking up to just one of the microphones instead of both yields any different result?

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,128 Posts
Yes. Tried 1 first, all I heard was static or a wind noise. I was in the garage with the door closed 🤣. Not sure what went wrong, could they be activated by the head unit somehow and the 3.5 mm jack to the aftermarket head doesn’t cut it? IDK….

181 - 200 of 278 Posts