2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is a topic that has been tossed around a lot with few REAL answers. I have discovered a few options. So I figured I would post the 3 options to do so here for everyone else who wants to do so.

Option 1 Aftermarket: Go aftermarket with a idatalink maestro (keeps all factory features). If you go after market it will run you about $850 including the maestro and all other parts you need if you get it at BestBuy. Even a new bezel. The install it self is free if you buy head unit from them and yes BestBuy sells parts an option at checkout when buying a head unit. FYI BestBuy price matches crutchfield.

This is what's involved

Option 2: If you want only factory parts? There is an option but its almost 1.7k

Option 3: This option is untested. I do not know anyone who has bought one. So I am not sure how long these units last. Its is an option none the less and it is a Direct Plug and Play Replacement

[ PX6 six-core ] 10.4" Vertical Screen Android 9 Fast boot Navigation Radio for Jeep Cherokee 2014 - 2020

Hope these 3 options this help some of you!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
if you replace the OEM Jeep Radio/Nav unit with aftermarket you will be disappointed. I like the idea of customizing the existing radio & keeping the OEM head unit w/Nav. my radio died & I replaced it, but it's not as good as the original. I do have some new added features & benefits, plus it works & is reliable

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you replace the OEM Jeep Radio/Nav unit with aftermarket you will be disappointed. I like the idea of customizing the existing radio & keeping the OEM head unit w/Nav. my radio died & I replaced it, but it's not as good as the original. I do have some new added features & benefits, plus it works & is reliable
Nope. Replaced it yesterday and I'm not disappointed. I went with a pioneer. I have more features and I have Google Maps in dash. Unlike the factory navigation which is never up to date Google Maps is always up-to-date and shows live traffic. The stock unit was crap compared to this. I think the only person that would regret it is someone who did not want or need Android auto. I don't get your argument there is nothing to miss from the stock unit. I have all the same features of my stock unit plus more. Oh and did I mention it sounds a hell of a lot better?

Whats to miss? The extra 1.4 in on the screen? Not really because 2" of the that screen was constantly taken up by the icons of the bottom so I don't notice a difference of screen size at all. So I ask again what's to miss from the stock unit?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
oh OK, I guess I should have bought what you bought! I've been reviewing the Kenwood DNR876S here
Did you get an idatalink Maestro with it? If you didn't that's your problem you lose all your factory features without it and without it the new head unit will not communicate with your stock amplifier if you've got one

Take a look at the video I posted in my original post it shows you what's involved with the maestro and it also shows the extra features in ads. There's a lot more involved than simply replacing the unit dude on these Cherokees. Getting the Maestro is a must! But you have to make sure that the head unit you're buying is compatible with it

The Maestro makes your steering wheel buttons and head unit perform identical to the factory unit. Also adds features and you even retain your factory USB ports. The chk1 kit has all you need.

Why specifically are you disappointed with it?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Did you get an idatalink Maestro with it?
Why specifically are you disappointed with it?
Yes of course & you may read the review for the pros & cons

I was going to get this from Best Buy:

Alpine - 7" - Android Auto/Apple® CarPlay
Model: ILX-W650
SKU: 6333656

but after talking to an independent installer & looking at other options & reviewing Crutchfield & talking to them on the phone I went w/ Crutchfield, the Kenwood w/ the built in GPS & the independent installer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes of course & you may read the review for the pros & cons

I was going to get this from Best Buy:

Alpine - 7" - Android Auto/Apple® CarPlay
Model: ILX-W650
SKU: 6333656

but after talking to an independent installer & looking at other options & reviewing Crutchfield & talking to them on the phone I went w/ Crutchfield, the Kenwood w/ the built in GPS & the independent installer
The Alpine is a good unit. I looked at it however that Alpine unit is not compatible with the maestro. I really wish it was or I would have bought it.

So I got a $350 Pioneer DMH-266NEX instead. I don't want built-in navigation that's exactly why I got rid of my head unit. In my opinion all built-in navigations are crap. I want Google Maps and pandora in dash! It really depressed me the bat Alpine unit was not compatible with maestro

I read your review you need to upgrade to the Maestro RR you can program steering wheel controls to do whatever you want you can change what the screen off button does to make it actually power off your radio.

The Maestro RR gives you much more control over your head unit and it's functions

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have that. I have the steering wheel controls
I feel like we're missing the point of this thread the whole point of this thread was to provide options for people who actually wanted and needed Android auto for things like Google Maps. One of these three options should work for just about anybody interested.

If they are liking and using the stock navigation they most likely will not be viewing this thread. The thread was formed to provide information for those that were unhappy with the stock unit and wanted Android auto/carplay

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The thread was formed to provide information for those that were unhappy with the stock unit and wanted Android auto/carplay
thank you for sharing & welcome to the forum. we need more ppl like you willing to share details like this

·
Registered
716 Posts
So this is a topic that has been tossed around a lot with few REAL answers. I have discovered a few options because I am adding Android auto to my 2017 Cherokee myself. So I figured I would post the 3 options to do so here for everyone else who wants to do so. I am going with Option 2 just because the Pioneer unit I am getting is faster than stock and sounds better and you get some added features.

Option 1: For $600 provided you already have the 8.4 screen and have a 2016+ Cherokee (this is 100% plug and play no touching any wires or modding your unit of any kind!)

Option 2: Aftermarket: Go aftermarket with a idatalink maestro (keeps all factory features). If you go after market it will run you about $850 including the maestro and all other parts you need if you get it at BestBuy. Even a new bezel. The install it self is free if you buy head unit from them and yes BestBuy sells parts an option at checkout when buying a head unit. FYI BestBuy price matches crutchfield. Doing so brought my order down to $790 FLAT including install!

This is what's involved and how your Cherokee will look after the install with Option 2

Option 3: If you want only factory parts? There is an option but its almost 1.7k (this option is crazy to do IMO Id stick with 1 or 2)

Hope these 3 options this help some of you!
I am very interested in option 1. I’ve contacted the company, who won’t provide installation instructions without buying the unit, but they tell me the entire center council must come out. Not sure I want to remove the entire council and honestly can’t figure out why it would need to come out. The bezel, screen and AC controls I could see, but the entire council?? Has anyone actually done this mod yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am very interested in option 1. I’ve contacted the company, who won’t provide installation instructions without buying the unit, but they tell me the entire center council must come out. Not sure I want to remove the entire council and honestly can’t figure out why it would need to come out. The bezel, screen and AC controls I could see, but the entire council?? Has anyone actually done this mod yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Many videos on youtube of folks with other cars who did it. Including a BMW which is a nightmare electronics wise. Everyone was very happy with it.

When they say the console the mean the radio unit. You have to remember these boys are in china. Although unlike most companies over there these guys speak prefect English, they do have different words for things in their culture. You have to take out the screen and the radio unit to find a place to plug all their wires in and a place to stash their box. The install will be easy peasy because its all plug and play. All the plugs are different sizes so matching to the ports will be easy too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
There soon may be a cheaper Option 4 too. I pulled the trigger on a 10.2" Dasaita Android head unit to review it that is 100% plug and play. They "claim" their canbus will keep all our factory features. Even AC controls. Its even cheaper! $400-500 depending if you get it from ebay or Aliexpress. They shipped it within 1 hour of me ordering which says LOT about the company. I have always liked their units in the past

Once I fully test it and verify their claims are Valid I will update this post

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
There soon may be a cheaper Option 4 too. I pulled the trigger on a 10.2" Dasaita Android head unit to review it that is 100% plug and play. They "claim" their canbus will keep all our factory features. Even AC controls. Its even cheaper! $550. They shipped it within 1 hour of me ordering which says LOT about the company. I have always liked their units in the past

Once I fully test it and verify their claims are Valid I will update this post
I would look forward to your review. please start a new thread when you get it. BTW when radio manufacturers say we'll keep all controls, climate is not that impressive. if they can turn off the EVIC, when the MAV is turned off, that would be impressive. does the unit you are geeting have a built in MAV? I just googled a picture installed in a car. wow it's big!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I would look forward to your review. please start a new thread when you get it. BTW when radio manufacturers say we'll keep all controls, climate is not that impressive. if they can turn off the EVIC, when the MAV is turned off, that would be impressive. does the unit you are geeting have a built in MAV? I just googled a picture installed in a car. wow it's big!
I won't be creating a new thread I will just update the original Post in this thread with a 4th option. They have told me it doesn't just include AC controls it will also control my heated seats and heated steering wheel which very few Android units do. I'm going to wait to recommend this product to anyone until I have fully tested it myself

This what I bought

This is a review of a trusted reviewer of the Toyota Version

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
they tell me the entire center council must come out.
I saw a video recently that said in order to install the small "cluster" in the front center console, it's easier if you remove the center console

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I won't be creating a new thread I will just update the original Post in this thread with a 4th option. They have told me it doesn't just include AC controls it will also control my heated seats and heated steering wheel which very few Android units do. I'm going to wait to recommend this product to anyone until I have fully tested it myself

Is what I bought
oh that's a nice photo, looks like it will fit right in there

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw a video recently that said in order to install the small "cluster" in the front center console, it's easier if you remove the center console
No that doesnt come out. You still use all your factory USB ports. That USB hub connects at the back of the stereo. Thats where you connect their USB. There is no reason to touch the media hub at all with option 1

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
what I bought
impressive! interesting direction the industry is going. nice to see we don't have to decide on what car we want based on the infotainment system that comes stock. here's hoping it won't breed a new generation of distracted drivers ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
impressive! interesting direction the industry is going. nice to see we don't have to decide on what car we want based on the infotainment system that comes stock. here's hoping it won't breed a new generation of distracted drivers ;-)
Its on the way. If it works as they claim I will update the OP with a 4th Option. It should make my 2017 Feel/look better than a 2021 Cherokee on the inside and yes its a BIG screen. As I said I just dont recommend products till I personally test them.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts