2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I keep a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb odors.
The packaging is designed to be used for this purpose.
Would it work in a vehicle interior?
Some dealerships use Armor-all or similar for new car preparation, I think, could this be the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I keep a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb odors.
The packaging is designed to be used for this purpose.
Would it work in a vehicle interior?
Some dealerships use Armor-all or similar for new car preparation, I think, could this be the problem?
Thank you! But I placed big pans filled with baking soda in addition to bags of deactivated charcoal under the seats, shampooed the carpets twice. Wiped everything down with a touch of vinegar mixed with plain water, then I used tuff stuff wiping all the other surfaces down with that. I also used some tuff stuff on part of the seat that looked like cloth. It does smell cleaner but now am left with the putrid smell of most likely the FAKE leather, that really looks like leather but it is not. It has lessened some and it is not quite as depressing but I really would like to get hold of some of that dustbane disappear that the other fellow said he used. I live in the states and can't find it. It is solely a Canadian company but they told me that I could contact customer service but I have written them and left several voice message in different CSR's voice mail but they have not contacted me yet.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
You seem to have figured it all out, especially using deactivated charcoal.
The only new idea I have is maybe you should buy used vehicles so they will have lost their new car odor?
Maybe used car dealerships have figured out a way to sanitize used cars used by smokers?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Charcoal is what we used to use for the off gassing in store fixtures we made. Learned that OHSA and HUD specs are very different. OHSA allows way more than HUD. Remember all the Katrina FEMA trailers that no one could live in? Hundreds or perhaps thousands left to rot because they had unsafe levels. Made with material using OHSA specs instead of HUD and sitting in the hot sun baking made it much worse.

I have also heard that an open pan of ammonia will help absorb those orders although never tried that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You seem to have figured it all out, especially using deactivated charcoal.
The only new idea I have is maybe you should buy used vehicles so they will have lost their new car odor?
Maybe used car dealerships have figured out a way to sanitize used cars used by smokers?
It may seem like I have figured it out but even though it doesn't smell like smoke or dirt, it does smell like burnt CHEMICALS in the materials used in the making of this car! If it had REAL leather seats, I don't think it would smell this way. The deactivated charcoal is still under the seats and in the back but it still smells...some better but it makes me happy to get out of it. I can't imagine having to make a long trip in that thing! JEEP NEEDS to be held responsible!!! :mad:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pad, I can relate, I'm sensitive to stuff like that too.
There is a ton of other stuff that can cause your situation.
Make sure one of your seat control switches isn't jammed causing a motor to stay on and burn.
Make sure some kind of trash hasn't worked its way on top of the engine/transmission or exhaust system getting cooked as you drive.
Use a flashlight at dusk to inspect and see a little better.
I have a 2017 JGC w/leather seats, at first, no issues.
But after a while, major funk stench !
It turned out to be moldy oak leaves cooking on the rear of the engine.
I might have been a rats nest !
I blasted them off with an air hose.
The top of the catalytic converter is an inviting spot for varmints.
You never know what's under the carpeting being heated by the exhaust system.
If the jute backing/padding gets soaking wet, it has to dry out in fresh air exposed to the sun for a few days at least.
Does your Jeep have a sunroof that could have been left open during a storm etc, etc.?
Since its a burning chemical smell, I suspect something on the exhaust system.
It could be one of those plastic engine covers misaligned touching something hot, flapping in the wind.
Or one of those cheap vinyl gloves the techs wear hidden somewhere smoking.
Or a Styrofoam cup.
The possibilities are virtually endless.

If you end up on a leather seat trek, don't be over-eager, take your time, don't get burned.
If you search around you'll see there's many to choose from.

Good luck, let everybody know what you find.

Reactions: pad

·
Registered
127 Posts
From Business Insider 11/13/2020, sounds like the same Problem.

Hyundai Napa Leather
  • In August, Cars.com first reported a mysterious "putrid stench" coming from the inside of its Hyundai Palisade SUV.
  • The smell's origin and cause were not determined.
  • Hyundai was finally able to trace the smell to the imitation leather used on the headrest covers on certain Palisade trims.
But in a follow-up post this week, Cars.com reported that Hyundai was able to pinpoint the origin of the smell: the "imitation leather coverings of head restraints in Palisade Limited and Calligraphy trim levels equipped with Nappa leather on the seats," the site wrote.

"Specifically, a flaw in the manufacturing process resulted in some vehicles emitting the objectionable odor," the story said. "The inconsistent nature of the problem — and the fact that people vary both in how much they detect it and how objectionable they find the odor when they do smell it — is partly responsible for how long it took to get a grasp on it."

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can't find a different article right now. I believe there's a manufacturer out there with a possible recall. ( Don't quote me on this )
The recall is to replace the headrest coverings. Possibly a TSB Replace only if the Customer complains.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pad, I can relate, I'm sensitive to stuff like that too.
There is a ton of other stuff that can cause your situation.
Make sure one of your seat control switches isn't jammed causing a motor to stay on and burn.
Make sure some kind of trash hasn't worked its way on top of the engine/transmission or exhaust system getting cooked as you drive.
Use a flashlight at dusk to inspect and see a little better.
I have a 2017 JGC w/leather seats, at first, no issues.
But after a while, major funk stench !
It turned out to be moldy oak leaves cooking on the rear of the engine.
I might have been a rats nest !
I blasted them off with an air hose.
The top of the catalytic converter is an inviting spot for varmints.
You never know what's under the carpeting being heated by the exhaust system.
If the jute backing/padding gets soaking wet, it has to dry out in fresh air exposed to the sun for a few days at least.
Does your Jeep have a sunroof that could have been left open during a storm etc, etc.?
Since its a burning chemical smell, I suspect something on the exhaust system.
It could be one of those plastic engine covers misaligned touching something hot, flapping in the wind.
Or one of those cheap vinyl gloves the techs wear hidden somewhere smoking.
Or a Styrofoam cup.
The possibilities are virtually endless.

If you end up on a leather seat trek, don't be over-eager, take your time, don't get burned.
If you search around you'll see there's many to choose from.

Good luck, let everybody know what you find.
Thank you for your input. It sounds like you have really been through it trying to track down the cause of a bad odor in your jeep! I'm glad you found the source! No, it doesn't have a sunroof and I am glad...Thank God the holidays are over...The smell has finally gotten MUCH better! I no longer feel sick when I get in the car or dread it. It may have been the ionization process that they put in the car. I did shampoo the carpets twice and I still have deactivated charcoal stuck under the seats etc...God bless you and I pray you seek the Lord Jesus in these deceiving times we are in...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine was fine during the test drive, but after the sell, the guy said they were detailing my new car, and they sprayed it with a ton of "new car" perfume all over the dash and roof liner. I wiped off as much as I could off the dash, but after leaving windows open for a couple of days its mostly gone. Just regular new car smell and nothing overbearing
I'm betting your dealerships also went nuts on the car fragrance, possibly spilling it or something and not caring to clean it up
I think this is exactly what happened! Thank God, it is finally much much better!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the build date on your Cherokee? Did you order it or buy it off the lot? I'm sorry to hear it gave you problems to your health rather than your emotions like most of us with issues.
I just bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. We took a 2 hour trip next day and after that I got very sick with serious breathing problems, strong headaches and throat problems. My husband got strong headaches. The chemical smell is so bad. We had new cars with leather seats before but never were the toxic fumes so strong and bad.

I am still struggling with these health issues, especially with breathing problems (close to Asthma) and will contact the EPA to find out whether the fumes are over the limits and a serious health concern.

Since I cannot drive the car for a longer time, I think about returning it to the dealer ship.
I used vinegar solutions, baking soda, etc. to get rid of the toxic fumes but it does not work. Since the garage is close to our living room, we have the toxic fumes there and for me it is impossible to sit in my living room and watch TV.

I love this car but it makes me and my husband sick. So I will find out what I can do.
I just bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. We took a 2 hour trip next day and after that I got very sick with serious breathing problems, strong headaches and throat problems. My husband got strong headaches. The chemical smell is so bad. We had new cars with leather seats before but never were the toxic fumes so strong and bad.

I am still struggling with these health issues, especially with breathing problems (close to Asthma) and will contact the EPA to find out whether the fumes are over the limits and a serious health concern.

Since I cannot drive the car for a longer time, I think about returning it to the dealer ship.
I used vinegar solutions, baking soda, etc. to get rid of the toxic fumes but it does not work. Since the garage is close to our living room, we have the toxic fumes there and for me it is impossible to sit in my living room and watch TV.

I love this car but it makes me and my husband sick. So I will find out what I can do.
Hi

My name is Norman from south africa. Your explanation above is exactly what I am also experiencing in my 2015 grand cherokee Summit and my car has 78000km at the moment. I love my car. I went to Jeep in eastrand but they could not solve the problem. Kindly assist if there is a solution for this problem. Thanking you in advance
Norman

41 - 54 of 54 Posts