2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. We took a 2 hour trip next day and after that I got very sick with serious breathing problems, strong headaches and throat problems. My husband got strong headaches. The chemical smell is so bad. We had new cars with leather seats before but never were the toxic fumes so strong and bad.

I am still struggling with these health issues, especially with breathing problems (close to Asthma) and will contact the EPA to find out whether the fumes are over the limits and a serious health concern.

Since I cannot drive the car for a longer time, I think about returning it to the dealer ship.
I used vinegar solutions, baking soda, etc. to get rid of the toxic fumes but it does not work. Since the garage is close to our living room, we have the toxic fumes there and for me it is impossible to sit in my living room and watch TV.

I love this car but it makes me and my husband sick. So I will find out what I can do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What's the build date on your Cherokee? Did you order it or buy it off the lot? I'm sorry to hear it gave you problems to your health rather than your emotions like most of us with issues.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I get an unsavory smell in my TH. And I've noticed it only comes when I've been out camping for a week with my two sons and we haven't bathed much..... ;)
Don't mean to make light of your dilemma. Most new cars have a chemical order to them. Some people call it the "new car" smell. It can come from the detailing the dealer does as he preps the car for you. Not to worry. It will dissipate in time.

Reactions: zzjdzz

·
Registered
262 Posts
Were you driving anywhere around Jersey? OMG If not, all new "materials" emit off-gasses. You must just be hyper-sensitive. Roll down the windows and let it sit in the sun, it'll air out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a very similar experience, though maybe not quite as dramatic. Mine had a pretty bad chemical (new car) smell and in the first couple of weeks after long trips I could actually feel it in my mouth and throat. Hard to describe but a very plasticy feel and taste.

Tried to keep my windows down when parked anywhere safe including my garage. The smell permeated the garage and just going in and out, I could smell the same thing inside the house. The smell that got inside certainly wasn't enough to cause me concern or trouble like riding in the car, but it was there.

Plastic and other materials off-gassing, which is what new car smell is, sometimes are toxic and/or carcinogens so saying they are not, is simply not true. Whether they are enough to cause problems is of course debatable. But to ones who may already have respiratory problems, the off-gassing can be a problem.

Mine has definitely dissipated in just over a month of ownership. What I would recommend to Cat7000 is to park as often as you can outside with the windows down. Drive as often as you can with windows down. Also, don't use recirculation on the climate controls, ever. This also means avoiding the auto setting on the climate control because it will switch to recirculate if it needs to cool cabin quickly and you won't know it. The smell in mine is always worse when on recirculate vs. fresh air.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
The subject is off gassing. It is not imaginary.
That is the normal chemical release on new products containing plastics, fabrics, and the like. Automobiles are subject to this the same as
Furniture, carpet, and anything containing petro chemicals and industrial glues. If you are old enough you may remember the old formaldehyde blown in foam insulation that caused all the problems for some peoples.
Basically the same thing.
Being confined/sealed in a small area like a vehicle amplifies this issue, especially for people that are sensitive to this.
Also the heat generated by the engine/exhaust system amplifies the process.
As was said it does go away given enough time. Its not something that will necessary affect you on a short test drive. Longer /accumulated time is a different issue.
It is real for some people believe it or not.

·
Registered
194 Posts
!st post.....ridiculous claim that wasn't noticed on a test drive. Either a troll or big-time buyer's remorse.
Claim may be a bit dramatic but not ridiculous. As stated by others, test drive may not be long enough to notice effects of off-gassing. Maybe some buyer's remorse in there too.

Just over a year ago wife got a new Ford Focus Electric and it had some interesting off-gassing too. I don't know if it was batteries or what but it was the worst new car off-gassing I had ever experienced. Then got the Cherokee and it was way, way worse then the FFE. It has since subsided as I knew it would. That doesn't mean it isn't bad and a problem for people with sensitive respiratory systems.

Reactions: monkeyboy

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
I understand the claim, and even though I prefer to close this discussion. I will leave it open for now, because owners do need to be aware of a de-gassing time for plastics, leather, and even carpet to an extent (as well as sound insulation) This smell will dissipate.

I do smell a fishiness to this thread. @Cat7000 please see your dealer if we cannot assure you enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The smell may not be coming from inside the jeep but from the underside.

I bought my Jeep brand new. And since I live in SF, my living room is quite literally on top of my garage. For the first few weeks I could smell something chemical-ly from the garage, especially right after coming back home from a drive.

I looked under the vehicle and saw that there were stickers and markings on the exhaust system and that they were in the process of being burned off by the heat from the exhaust system.

So I suspect the smells you are describing are probably coming from that.

The good news is that after a week or so, the smell went away completely. If it bothers you, park outside for the first two weeks and it should be fine after that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I experienced this EXACT same thing in two different areas of the car.

First, the interior. While the new car smell is euphoric for many, it's the chemicals in the materials you're smelling ( an old, but still valid, source). I was getting headaches for the first few days. I started leaving all four windows cracked during both morning and evening commute and the smell eventually faded. No more headaches.

Outside the car, you could smell a burning odor. My TH is garaged so the moment the door closed, the smell was there. Advised here that it was stickers or something else. That smell is gone now, too.

Reactions: troyjack

·
Registered
139 Posts
I understand the claim, and even though I prefer to close this discussion. I will leave it open for now, because owners do need to be aware of a de-gassing time for plastics, leather, and even carpet to an extent (as well as sound insulation) This smell will dissipate.

I do smell a fishiness to this thread. @Cat7000 please see your dealer if we cannot assure you enough.
I've had my Limited for 6 months now...I love the Leather smell when I drove it for the first time and now I still look forward in the morning to open the door and get in and YES...it smells like "Victory".
:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
When we got our '15 Latitude with Cold Weather Group, I noticed the interior smelled quite strong after the heated steering wheel was activated. It's a very distinct and potent smell, almost like something is burning lol. Dealer said it's normal and will go away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I experienced this EXACT same thing in two different areas of the car.

First, the interior. While the new car smell is euphoric for many, it's the chemicals in the materials you're smelling ( an old, but still valid, source). I was getting headaches for the first few days. I started leaving all four windows cracked during both morning and evening commute and the smell eventually faded. No more headaches.

Outside the car, you could smell a burning odor. My TH is garaged so the moment the door closed, the smell was there. Advised here that it was stickers or something else. That smell is gone now, too.

Euphoric is a great way to put it, in my case... though it unfortunately causes problems/headaches for some.

For the first couple weeks after the purchase, I would be sitting in my office, actually craving the "new car" smell. But it did leave an odd burnt plastic smell in the garage, that had gone away after a few weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My girl got a brand new Jeep Cherokee a couple months ago. The first time I was in it, within seconds, I had a bad taste in my mouth and got nauseous with a bad headache. Two months later it still happens like clock work, I get in the car, and within seconds/minutes I have a bad taste in my mouth and do not feel well. A few moments after I exit and get fresh air, the taste is gone and I feel better although the headache sometimes lingers. I've been in about 10 new cars in the past month or so and this does NOT happen in any of them (no Jeeps, other manufacturers). This is making me worried that the car is emitting some sort of toxic odor. It does not smell like a typical "new car" smell that I've been used to in the past (my parents always leased Jeeps so I've been in quite a few brand new jeeps over the years, never had an issue or got sick from them).

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
that is a new one...
the new car smell makes someone sick...
if you are not joking bring it to the dealer and document it....
Howver I am curious... why haven't you done that or if you did can you publish a picture of the service reciept...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts