2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, and also new to Jeeps - we just got a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2020 and are very excited about it. So far it's been great. Except for... today. We drove on some dirt roads (no big deal) and coming home tonight there was a terrible sound of metal on metal grinding from the rear wheel. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Sounds like you got some gravel/small rock stuck in the brakes. If you pull the wheel, you should be able to find it. Might even be able to locate it with the wheel in place, if you can crawl under there (ramps would be awesome).

Welcome to JCC :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you got some gravel/small rock stuck in the brakes. If you pull the wheel, you should be able to find it. Might even be able to locate it with the wheel in place, if you can crawl under there (ramps would be awesome).

Welcome to JCC :)
thanks! i'll give that a try tomorrow - and thanks so much! so far the car's been a lot of fun!

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
191 Posts
Also, if you feel the need, you can call Jeep roadside assistance, it's part of your warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
good idea - here is an audio file. thanks!

That sounds like a rock or something hitting the backing plate of your brakes. Theres a metal plate that sits behind your brakes. A rock or something stuck in the top of the rotor could be touching the plate as the rotor spins.

I think you should jack up the tire, take it off and inspect/give the rotor a spin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like a rock or something hitting the backing plate of your brakes. Theres a metal plate that sits behind your brakes. A rock or something stuck in the top of the rotor could be touching the plate as the rotor spins.

I think you should jack up the tire, take it off and inspect/give the rotor a spin.
thanks for this - i will try tomorrow and let you know what i find!

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
thanks! i'll give that a try tomorrow - and thanks so much! so far the car's been a lot of fun!
I listened to the audio : definitely sounds like a rock bouncing off the brake backplate (behind rotor).

I guess you could drive 25 miles to dealer without any further damage, but if you look you'll probably find the culprit ;)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
This is a good opportunity to learn how to use the car jack.
There should be a laminated card with the instructions.
It isn't easy. You have to chock the wheel on the other side.
Take a picture of the jack before you remove it or you will never get it put back in correctly.
There is a guide pin in a clip on the jack to help you line up the wheel on the hub.
Find the wheel lock key? You may need a thin wall socket, but I doubt it.
Loosen the lug bolts while the vehicle is still on the ground, in Park, parking brake on.
You may need a longer handle 1/2 inch drive ratchet wrench and 6 point socket to make it easier to remove the lug bolts.
Use a 6 point socket so you don't round the bolt head.
Put a zip lock piece of plastic bag over the head of the bolt so you don't scratch the chrome.
A jack stand on a board is a good safety precaution.
Don't mangle the beer can heads on the lug bolts or you will be in big trouble.
Do the final torqueing of the lug bolts with the vehicle on the ground.
Don't let the vehicle fall off the jack, been there done that, it wasn't fun.
Then you need a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench if you want to do this correctly.
Then you have to put everything back in the trunk just so.
I am an expert at making an easy job nearly impossible. Its just me.
I forgot a couple important steps, does anyone know what they are?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a good opportunity to learn how to use the car jack.
There should be a laminated card with the instructions.
It isn't easy. You have to chock the wheel on the other side.
Take a picture of the jack before you remove it or you will never get it put back in correctly.
There is a guide pin in a clip on the jack to help you line up the wheel on the hub.
Find the wheel lock key? You may need a thin wall socket, but I doubt it.
Loosen the lug bolts while the vehicle is still on the ground, in Park, parking brake on.
You may need a longer handle 1/2 inch drive ratchet wrench and 6 point socket to make it easier to remove the lug bolts.
Use a 6 point socket so you don't round the bolt head.
Put a zip lock piece of plastic bag over the head of the bolt so you don't scratch the chrome.
A jack stand on a board is a good safety precaution.
Don't mangle the beer can heads on the lug bolts or you will be in big trouble.
Do the final torqueing of the lug bolts with the vehicle on the ground.
Don't let the vehicle fall off the jack, been there done that, it wasn't fun.
Then you need a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench if you want to do this correctly.
Then you have to put everything back in the trunk just so.
I am an expert at making an easy job nearly impossible. Its just me.
I forgot a couple important steps, does anyone know what they are?
this is a great and detailed overview -thanks!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
thanks to everyone who responded - you guys are the best - problem solved (culprit - a small pebble). now back off to the beautiful back country roads!
That's great!!! Stick around, and you will learn everything you need to know about your new Trailhawk. Welcome from Utah!!!

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
191 Posts
You missed the STAR pattern of tightening the bolts...

Reactions: sanghill
1 - 18 of 18 Posts