2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Horn beeping when inflating tires

27K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Housekat23 
#1 ·
My horn beeps when I am reinflating tires after offroading...I assume that it does this when I reach the optimum pressure (usually around 35-36 psi) for the stock Firestone tires...After being out on the trail, I usually slightly overinflate from when the horn beeps to around 40psi when tire hot so that the COLD tire pressure is around 35-36 psi.
Am I correct in that the horn beeping is at the recommended inflated tire pressure and if so, is it better to overinflate a few pounds with hot tire or should I be stopping at the psi when the horn goes off? Trying to keep best pavement psi when not offroading

#4 ·
Can you set it to beep at a certain pressure or does it beep at a set pressure per stock tire standards?

#10 ·
I've used the Tire Fill Alert many times to fill from a too-low pressure and found two things:

1. When the horn beeps once, I stop. When I check with a manual gauge it is at the placard pressure.
2. The instrument cluster shows exactly what my tire gauge shows.

I don't bother to check with a manual tire gauge anymore since the first several tries were spot on!

I'll agree that TPMS systems were "ballparkish" at best in the past, but my 2019 is very accurate.

BTW - I also found that going from too-high pressure down to the beep doesn't seem to be quite as accurate - off by about 1-2 PSI. If I'm at too-high pressure I'll deflate until the three beeps, then inflate back to the single beep. Not at too-high of pressure very often. Only happens if I'm in the mountains and fill when it's' very cold (below freezing) then go back to the desert and it's warm (80-90). I suspect that's not a problem most people encounter.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#16 ·
I ran into a different issue with my horn. Seems it had to do with leaving the car running while the key fob was outside the vehicle when i was airing up my tires. I don't remember the timing exactly, but I want to say after 10 minutes or so, the horn will honk twice, every 10 seconds or so, as a warning I suppose. I was barely a few feet away from the vehicle. I think the HUD said to press Ok on the steering wheel to make it stop.

#22 · (Edited)
I looked this morning when I got home from dropping the wife off, it is there.
The reason I never saw it was they put at the bottom of the safety menu; normally there's only two pages when you scroll down, however that menu has just one more item necessitating another push down on the navigation menu arrow....and there it is right at the bottom of the list.......Sneaky.

Never used it or knew mainly because I'm OCD about keeping my tires pressurized and usually run an extra 3-4 psi in the winter (especially) to make sure they don't drop so low they set off the warning at -40.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#25 ·
I wonder if this is an Elite trim level feature. I went to the bottom of the safety and driving assistance section, and mine ends with Hill Start Assist, down arrow grayed out, can't go any further. Seems i'll be asking the dealer when it goes in for an oil change. Might try engineering mode and do a factory reset.

Attachments

#32 ·
Thanks. One thing I forgot to ask : UConnect version. Some appear to be saying the option could've been removed with an update.
We'll get to the bottom of this, sooner or later...

#36 ·
I just ran into this for the first time today, after forgetting it was a feature. All of a sudden I was like "did my car just honk at me?" lol. Get back inside and the hazards were flashing and the tire fill light went away.

#37 ·
I can confirm that with the tire alert, I went to 255/75/17 KM3 which have a max psi of 50 instead of the stock 40psi and it goes off at 35psi which was recommended psi that I run from my installer when I am on the road traveling. The tires warm up as you drive and the psi raises to about 40-42psi which is a nice feature if you air down alot to off road and just attach the air up tool and wait for the beep. 2019 cherokee trailhawk elite. The horn use to honk at 40psi with stock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.