2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn beeps when I am reinflating tires after offroading...I assume that it does this when I reach the optimum pressure (usually around 35-36 psi) for the stock Firestone tires...After being out on the trail, I usually slightly overinflate from when the horn beeps to around 40psi when tire hot so that the COLD tire pressure is around 35-36 psi.
Am I correct in that the horn beeping is at the recommended inflated tire pressure and if so, is it better to overinflate a few pounds with hot tire or should I be stopping at the psi when the horn goes off? Trying to keep best pavement psi when not offroading

·
Registered
800 Posts
Can you set it to beep at a certain pressure or does it beep at a set pressure per stock tire standards?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Well that’s pretty cool. Iv never heard of something like that before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nissan introduced it on one of their vehicles several years ago I think.

Can you set it to beep at a certain pressure or does it beep at a set pressure per stock tire standards?
It's pre-set to factory specs. So, it has limited usefulness IMO.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Where in the setting is this? I know I saw it once, but now can't find it.
I don't have a 2019. Searching led me to find the name of the feature ; it's called Tire Fill Alert, and yes the 2019 manual says it can be disabled in the radio settings.

·
Registered
483 Posts
@desertscorpion, I'd still recommend you check your pressures after you're aired back up with an old fashioned tire gauge, as the TPMS sensors this system relies on are not exactly known for their accuracy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
@desertscorpion, I'd still recommend you check your pressures after you're aired back up with an old fashioned tire gauge, as the TPMS sensors this system relies on are not exactly known for their accuracy.
I've used the Tire Fill Alert many times to fill from a too-low pressure and found two things:

1. When the horn beeps once, I stop. When I check with a manual gauge it is at the placard pressure.
2. The instrument cluster shows exactly what my tire gauge shows.

I don't bother to check with a manual tire gauge anymore since the first several tries were spot on!

I'll agree that TPMS systems were "ballparkish" at best in the past, but my 2019 is very accurate.

BTW - I also found that going from too-high pressure down to the beep doesn't seem to be quite as accurate - off by about 1-2 PSI. If I'm at too-high pressure I'll deflate until the three beeps, then inflate back to the single beep. Not at too-high of pressure very often. Only happens if I'm in the mountains and fill when it's' very cold (below freezing) then go back to the desert and it's warm (80-90). I suspect that's not a problem most people encounter.

·
Registered
483 Posts
<snip>
I don't bother to check with a manual tire gauge anymore since the first several tries were spot on!

I'll agree that TPMS systems were "ballparkish" at best in the past, but my 2019 is very accurate.
Good to know, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I don't have a 2019. Searching led me to find the name of the feature ; it's called Tire Fill Alert, and yes the 2019 manual says it can be disabled in the radio settings.
I went thru all the settings options, and it isn't there, guess I'll just pull the horn fuse before airing up.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
I went thru all the settings options, and it isn't there, guess I'll just pull the horn fuse before airing up.
That's weird. Hopefully another 2019 owner will let us know where it is.

With Gladiators, it's in the "Apps" menu :

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ran into a different issue with my horn. Seems it had to do with leaving the car running while the key fob was outside the vehicle when i was airing up my tires. I don't remember the timing exactly, but I want to say after 10 minutes or so, the horn will honk twice, every 10 seconds or so, as a warning I suppose. I was barely a few feet away from the vehicle. I think the HUD said to press Ok on the steering wheel to make it stop.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yes, it's a new "feature"

You can turn it off in the Settings menu.
Wait, what??

I haven't seen this...which menu is this in?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts