2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have tried fixing this flutter by adjusting the six hood stops,it has help it some, has anyone covered the vent holes under the hood ,that seems like it would keep air from going between the under and outer skin,just asking before i give it a shot.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I hate it... And can't get it to stop no matter what I try.. I purchased a light bar mount that mounts underneath the hood.. But haven't installed it because the light bar would be bouncing and flashing light everywhere.... Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Door panels on the inside usually have some sort of sticky backed thick stuff applied at the factory.
If a body shop puts on a new door skin they re-apply the sticky backed thick stuff.
Maybe using the same stuff on the underside of the hood would help?
I don't know. Check with a body shop.
Theoretically adjusting the hood stops works if you follow the FCA instructions, whatever they are.
I think there may be a TSB, ask your Jeep dealer.
I have a 2014 and it is just fine.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
have tried fixing this flutter by adjusting the six hood stops,it has help it some, has anyone covered the vent holes under the hood ,that seems like it would keep air from going between the under and outer skin,just asking before i give it a shot.
2019+?

I have a 2014 and it is just fine.
This is usually a 2019+ issue. Make hood out of tin foil and it flexs.
Even adjusted perfect will do it some.. but you can definitely make it better and worse by adjusting.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,012 Posts
2019+?

This is usually a 2019+ issue. Make hood out of tin foil and it flexs.
Even adjusted perfect will do it some.. but you can definitely make it better and worse by adjusting.
Get it right, recycled beer cans, not tin foil...LOL...😉😎

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,008 Posts
Maybe here is a good way to strengthen the hood, structurally on the inside to help alleviate the flutter from the (evidently) less than ideal strength of the hood. Maybe as part of the hood hinge assembly?

·
Registered
38 Posts
On my 2019 Trailhawk, I had to re-adjust until all (4?) stops were even with the hood. Over adjusting (raising) didn't help if they were not all even with the hood. I think I used playdoh on the stops to determine that all were evenly touching the hood with a slight amount of extra pressure. It was tedious but it eventually solved the problem. It shouldn't require one to have to go to such lengths.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
903 Posts
Like SunnyHawk said, over adjusting actually makes it worse. I went down that same path originally. Start by adjusting the top tow until they are level with the fenders. Then screw the bottom two all in until they just barely touch when you push on that part of the hood. That is a good starting point. Then drive for a day or two and see how it is. Then adjust just a little (1/2 turn or so) in either direction. Drive again a few days and see if its better or worse. If worse, go the other way, if better keep going until you get it just right. I took me a week or so to get it just right, but now barely moves even at 80. Usually it will only move slightly when passing a semi if they get too close.

Reactions: SunnyHawk

·
Registered
903 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I guess I got lucky when adjusting the 6 stops. No flutter at all at highway speeds,
or going through a car wash.

Reactions: AZJeeper and Leems

·
Registered
903 Posts
I guess I got lucky when adjusting the 6 stops. No flutter at all at highway speeds,
or going through a car wash.
It says that you have an 18 in your signature line. It started with the 2019 as they swapped to an aluminum hood.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
It says that you have an 18 in your signature line. It started with the 2019 as they swapped to an aluminum hood.
You must not see my whole signature line. I also have a 2019 TH V6.
They used aluminum hoods in 2018 as well with no issues. Wife
drives the 2018. I fixed my 2019 hood in my garage.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
903 Posts
You must not see my whole signature line. I also have a 2019 TH V6.
They used aluminum hoods in 2018 as well with no issues. Wife
drives the 2018. I fixed my 2019 hood in my garage.
I didn't. Just realized there was a drop down. My 19 didn't have an issue until I removed the bumper and adjusted them on accident. Then I had to go through getting it correct again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did try stopping air from going under front lip by using weatherstripping. Did not work.
What is actually happening is not just air under hood but also an air blast over the hood that lifts the hood aerodynamically.
I tried adjusting the stops but that did nothing.
Then I took it to the dealer with a STAR TSB number I found for this exact problem.
They followed the procedure and it improved a lot, but not perfect. A lot better though.
Now the hood only flutters when a large truck passes me in the opposite direction.
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Circle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts