2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Assuming that some of us bought our Cherokees at least partly for this purpose, it would be cool to meet some of you guys off pavement :smile:
Hollister Hills is about 90 minutes away from me, and not too far from the Bay Area. Given that we all likely have varying levels of experience and equipment, how about we target the Upper Ranch trail for a meetup?

Here are some possible dates that would work for me in March (weekends only) -

March 2019
Saturday 2nd (event at Lower Ranch might mean more traffic, but Upper Ranch open)
Sunday 3rd
Saturday 9th
Sunday 10th
Saturday 23rd (event at Lower Ranch might mean more traffic, but Upper Ranch open)
Sunday 24th

If you are up for a run please respond to this thread with the dates from the list above that work for you, and I'm sure we can narrow something down. I'm skipping February as any lingering 'winter' weather might make it a mess up there, but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Ron.

· Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I'd be down to take my new KL down to Hollister. Looks like I can do any of those days you listed but would prefer a Sunday. I haven't been off-roading with it yet but have been to Hollister a few times in my old JKU. I will likely break it in at the Hollister obstacle course during the week next week, probably February 6th or 7th, if you or anyone else wants to join.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - sorry for the slow response. I'd assumed there were no takers! How about the first Sunday in March (March 3rd). It looks like we'll have some dry weather for a bit before then to let the mud settle.

Does that work for you?

Yeah, I'd be down to take my new KL down to Hollister. Looks like I can do any of those days you listed but would prefer a Sunday. I haven't been off-roading with it yet but have been to Hollister a few times in my old JKU. I will likely break it in at the Hollister obstacle course during the week next week, probably February 6th or 7th, if you or anyone else wants to join.

· Registered
112 Posts
Just saw this...

I’d be interested for March 9 or 10. End of March could work too or possibly some other date.

What route are you considering? I haven’t done much off-roading.

Unrelated, but do you AX your Cayman at Alameda? If so, we may have met already.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just saw this...

I’d be interested for March 9 or 10. End of March could work too or possibly some other date.

What route are you considering? I haven’t done much off-roading.

Unrelated, but do you AX your Cayman at Alameda? If so, we may have met already.

I actually haven't been to Hollister Hills before, but it sounds like @anandman is familiar with the place. 4x4s are limited to the Upper Ranch area, and I guess there's a variety of terrain. The map has trails marked according to difficulty. Green or blue would probably work, since the blue ones have room to turn around. For this initial run there's no point getting anyone into a situation they're not comfortable with - this is all about fun after all.:wink:

I run AX with LPR down at Marina - no trips to Alameda yet.

· Registered
112 Posts
I'm open for March 3rd or March 10th. Can you guys make it either day? Let's see if anyone else expresses an interest.
March 10 is best for me. My SO is out of town that weekend, so no conflicts :grin:

I run AX with LPR down at Marina - no trips to Alameda yet.
Cool. I've run Alameda a few times with GGR.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shall we pick a time and place to meet and caravan over? Maybe around 9:30am in San Jose off 101 somewhere? I'll be coming from San Francisco so pretty much anything is on the way. :)
I'll actually be heading over via Hwy 1 from the Santa Cruz direction, so I can just meet you there.

10AM or so at the park would work for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@clr/@anandman I propose we meet at 10AM at the Schoolhouse by the Upper Ranch entrance on Sunday (see map). Despite all the recent rain the Upper Ranch has remained open, but it will be worth checking again on Saturday.

You both have my contact number, and I'll be in the Granite Crystal 2019 TH.

· Registered
4 Posts
@clr/@anandman I propose we meet at 10AM at the Schoolhouse by the Upper Ranch entrance on Sunday (see map). Despite all the recent rain the Upper Ranch has remained open, but it will be worth checking again on Saturday.

You both have my contact number, and I'll be in the Granite Crystal 2019 TH.
Schoolhouse at 10am works fine for me. Make sure to allow some time to check in at the Ranger Station beforehand. Current weather outlook is no rain on Sunday so hopefully it will stay that way.

On a related but different note, there is a Facebook group for Bay Area Jeep owners which I joined back when I had a JKU but a few are going out on Saturday, led by an XJ. I was going to post our Sunday venture there as well in case others want to join. You guys may want to join the group as well. They do a lot of events.

https://facebook.com/groups/413057255546127

-anand

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Mannn I'm so envious! If you guys do a Round 2 sometime I'm in. I'm just about set to get my Jeep back in proper off-roading order. I have some damaged suspension parts to replace before I'm trail-ready. Next time!

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'll definitely make it back there again in the next few months. I signed up for the Esprit de Four 4x4 Safety Course on May 18.

The conditions limited our options on Sunday - looking forward to exploring more widely when it dries out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.