2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Works for me, bought new at a discount from a local member who didn't get a chance to install before trading up to a GC.

·
Registered
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
317 Posts
Mine have been great.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 AD1 2.4l
63 Posts
So on the MFC website they say the plastic OEM clips are what causes a low thumping noise going over bumps. Has anybody had this issue, I have been told it's usually the strut tops, the dealer told me it was my sway bar links.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,154 Posts
The strut tops are probably the OEM plastic tips they are talking about. The OEM ones are plastic.

·
Registered
2014 AD1 2.4l
63 Posts
The strut tops are probably the OEM plastic tips they are talking about. The OEM ones are plastic.
Sorry by strut tops I meant the upper strut mounts that have the bearings. New ones usually come with a new retainer ring and I know there has been issues with KYB's ring not fitting great.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Ordered MFC High Performance Strut Clamps March 31, 2022, received them April 18, 2022.
They are painted black. Comes with an allen wrench to tighten the socket head screws.
There are no instructions. Have an appointment to have my Jeep dealer install them.
According to the Hayne's Repair manual you have to lift the Jeep by the frame and then jack up the A-arm to get enough clearance to install the clamp.
My plastic clamps are loose and I can turn them easily. Seems to me I should be able to remove the plastic clips and install the MFC clamps.
Since I don't know I'll just pay my Jeep dealer the big bucks. They seem to like my CC just fine.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,992 Posts
Ordered MFC High Performance Strut Clamps March 31, 2022, received them April 18, 2022.
They are painted black. Comes with an allen wrench to tighten the socket head screws.
There are no instructions. Have an appointment to have my Jeep dealer install them.
According to the Hayne's Repair manual you have to lift the Jeep by the frame and then jack up the A-arm to get enough clearance to install the clamp.
My plastic clamps are loose and I can turn them easily. Seems to me I should be able to remove the plastic clips and install the MFC clamps.
Since I don't know I'll just pay my Jeep dealer the big bucks. They seem to like my CC just fine.
It's very easy, like a 5 minute job. Here's the installation video. He has these for all his products...😎

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Thanks, that is exactly what I need. I like a little blue thread locker, going off road has always caused me problems if I don't use thread locker, or Nylock nuts.
Those are a great investment for any Cherokee, whether you go offroad or not. I guarantee that most of the people complaining about front end noise, that is more times than not, the culprit of the problem...😎

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Just make sure you offset the bolts from opposite directions on both sides of the collar like the video shows. Easier to install, and provides better, and more reliable clamping strength...😎

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,118 Posts
Evidently with the strut being compressed - vehicle weight on front end, there is enough space to remove the stock and install the MFC collars. I'm in - ordering them today!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,118 Posts
Those OEM plastic collars are probably the wonkiest engineering design on the entire car...😎
You mean besides the oil cooler, right?

BTW, I tried to find 'em on the MFC site and nada, nothing about them unless they come with a lift kit?

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
You mean besides the oil cooler, right?

BTW, I tried to find 'em on the MFC site and nada, nothing about them unless they come with a lift kit?
No, they're on the top of the struts. I posted the installation video above, #10...😎
High Performance Strut Clamp

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I'm not convinced this (metal clamps) is a good idea. The way I see it, if something bad happens the plastic clamps break, saving more expensive damage on the strut towers (or whatever these are called). Of course there's a margin where the plastic would break but no other damage would occur. But the risk calculation just doesn't add up for me. Or am I mistaken on the reasoning behind the plastic clips? Are they purely a cost saving measure and has no 'fuse' function?

On the comfort level, I'm also not sure why these would be more quiet than the OEM plastic ones? What's the thinking behind why this is the case?

Reactions: Leems

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I have been driving off road since my TH was new.
Never had a problem with the plastic strut clamps. Even when I went air-born coming out of a mud hole.
The plastic clamps are so loose they can't possibly be doing anything, until the suspension has such violent collision that they save something.
In my situation, even if the MFC clamps don't help they probably aren't going to hurt anything.
Still learning about this so time will tell. I'll be the Guinea pig.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I have been driving off road since my TH was new.
Never had a problem with the plastic strut clamps. Even when I went air-born coming out of a mud hole.
The plastic clamps are so loose they can't possibly be doing anything, until the suspension has such violent collision that they save something.
In my situation, even if the MFC clamps don't help they probably aren't going to hurt anything.
Still learning about this so time will tell. I'll be the Guinea pig.
Did you get them installed yet???😎

1 - 20 of 38 Posts