2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I sometimes get high beam bulb out error!!!
Why is that? There are no high beam bulbs and the shutters in the headlights seem to work correctly!!!

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,508 Posts
A friendly suggestion:
It might be helpful if you put your year, engine, trim, and options in your signature line or vehicle details.
Both of these can be found in your account profile.
That way people that might want to help you won't need to ask... ;)

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
They obviously have HID's. Are they factory HID's or aftermarket???😎

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Sorry forgot the car info :) 2014 Jeep cherokee kl with halogen headlights
Well, then it's not HID's, it doesn't have shutters, and it does have a dual filament bulb, that does have a high beam...😎

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
578 Posts
Single filament bulbs , even HID and LED bulbs only have one bulb for light output so as you said the shutter is what lets more light out for high beams, so maybe that means the shutter is stuck, but I never heard of high beam out message on a KL., the shutter may have a sensor

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Single filament bulbs , even HID and LED bulbs only have one bulb for light output so as you said the shutter is what lets more light out for high beams, so maybe that means the shutter is stuck, but I never heard of high beam out message on a KL., the shutter may have a sensor
It's strange because I can hear the shutters move and also see them move. I get the fault sometimes. So maybe the bcm monitors the current passing through the electromagnet of the shutter. It's strange

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
578 Posts
It's strange because I can hear the shutters move and also see them move. I get the fault sometimes. So maybe the bcm monitors the current passing through the electromagnet of the shutter. It's strange
True lots of stuff monitored on these Cherokees, which can make it hard to diagnose when stuff goes wrong or acts up. I don’t know what to suggest

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
First time I hear about a high beam bulb out message as well, and I agree it could very well be shutter related with the BCM.

If you throw your headlights onto a wall close by, do you see both going to high beam ? I think that is what you implied there, so yeah... a monitoring glitch somewhere perhaps.

Do keep us posted as things evolve, we're always curious about 'new problems' here.

@Flybynightcru : yeah halogen KLs have what is known as 'bi-function' headlights. Same setup as bi-xenon, minus the xenon bulbs (HIDs). The engineers basically designed the '14-'18 headlamps with HIDs in mind, then they designed slightly modified projectors for halogens. 9012 bulbs (for 2014 - early 2016) and then 9005 bulbs for 2016-17. Both are single filament bulbs. That was a big... mistake :-/

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Heck, that shows what the hell I know. Mine is a 19 with LEDs. Learn something new everyday!!! I thought they were just the old crappy duel filament halogens. My bad. Never seen shutters on any headlights, on any vehicle that wasn't HID's...😎

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
yeah halogen KLs have what is known as 'bi-function' headlights. Same setup as bi-xenon, minus the xenon bulbs (HIDs). The engineers basically designed the '14-'18 headlamps with HIDs in mind, then they designed slightly modified projectors for halogens. 9012 bulbs (for 2014 - early 2016) and then 9005 bulbs for 2016-17. Both are single filament bulbs. Tha
Once again, fooled by FCA engineering, when I should know better by now. You can't take anything for granted, because like I always say, nothing surprises me anymore. I should have known better!!! LOL...🤪🤔😎

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I was waiting for you @Mark_ to chime in, cuz you are the lighting guy. I should have kept my mouth shut!!! LOL...😎

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
replace both sides, left & right (meaning not just the problem light) I like buying the 2-pack so both bulbs are from the same batch

see post #27 here

on my 2014, in Nov. 2018 I got the dash msg that my headlight low beam needed replacement
OP here has a new problem to report though : it's a high beam bulb out, not low beam. It's a one filament bulb, single intensity, high beam occuring only when the shutter goes down in the headlamp projector (solenoïd). Many of us have seen the low beam bulb out message, but high beam ? Totally new to me.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,508 Posts
Possibly just dumb ergonomics, the circuitry for the high shutter is basically the same as a lamp with separate bulbs (it just has a solenoid instead of a filament). The message may be reporting a problem along that circuit, perhaps over/under voltage/resistance in the shutter mechanism...
OP previously posted about upgrading to LEDs and having after market headlamps, so we have no idea what is really going on... :cool:

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Possibly just dumb ergonomics, the circuitry for the high shutter is basically the same as a lamp with separate bulbs (it just has a solenoid instead of a filament). The message may be reporting a problem along that circuit, perhaps over/under voltage/resistance in the shutter mechanism...
OP previously posted about upgrading to LEDs and having after market headlamps, so we have no idea what is really going on... :cool:
Good catch on the previous work on headlights, including headlamps. Good possibility something was... disturbed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First time I hear about a high beam bulb out message as well, and I agree it could very well be shutter related with the BCM.

If you throw your headlights onto a wall close by, do you see both going to high beam ? I think that is what you implied there, so yeah... a monitoring glitch somewhere perhaps.

Do keep us posted as things evolve, we're always curious about 'new problems' here.

@Flybynightcru : yeah halogen KLs have what is known as 'bi-function' headlights. Same setup as bi-xenon, minus the xenon bulbs (HIDs). The engineers basically designed the '14-'18 headlamps with HIDs in mind, then they designed slightly modified projectors for halogens. 9012 bulbs (for 2014 - early 2016) and then 9005 bulbs for 2016-17. Both are single filament bulbs. That was a big... mistake :-/
Both high beams work correctly!
What is more strange is that my wife told me she got the high beam bulb out error twice during the day while the headlights were off!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have removed the LED and went back to halogens. Although they were working OK without errors, the light output was a lot worse than the halogens. It seems that HID is the only way to go with these cherokees.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Both high beams work correctly!
What is more strange is that my wife told me she got the high beam bulb out error twice during the day while the headlights were off!!!
If I recall correctly, the system runs a self check on startup and will throw bulb out errors even when the headlights are Off, perhaps only after the monitor has been tripped once with the headlights On. I had this happen but can't recall 100%. But for me it was Low beam bulb out.

Did you tinker with headlamp wiring at any point ? and I don't mean the headlight bulb connector, but the connector/wiring on the side of the headlamps..

Reactions: AtlCade69
1 - 20 of 23 Posts