the shadow from the left side wire SUCKS

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
[/ATTACH]

the 5000k hid's are AWESOME
the shadow from the left side wire SUCKS
It may sound stupid, but have tried turning that bulb upside down?

I remember reading something about this on another forum about HID's.

Reactions: EsperanzaCat

·
Super Moderator
7,381 Posts
I have the same thing but on the right side....big dark spot on the right shoulder (kind of where I want the light)...I just haven't taken the time to rotate the bulb.

Maybe today, since one of my customers has yet to call......

Reactions: Duke2015

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the tabs on the light bulb socket wont allow you to just insert it in any position,,you have to trim the tabs to make em fit,,the best option is to install led/hid fogs to blow the shadow out
i think thats the route im going

·
Registered
233 Posts
the tabs on the light bulb socket wont allow you to just insert it in any position,,you have to trim the tabs to make em fit,,the best option is to install led/hid fogs to blow the shadow out
i think thats the route im going
Not true. No trimming of tabs here, and you can see that they're in an entirely different/better position.

·
Super Moderator
7,381 Posts
@imthatguy: /\ That is how mine are currently. The drivers side is washed out by the passenger side at distance so a non-issue....but the pass side dark spot ends up being very visible while driving as there is a big hole on the right shoulder and when on curvy roads, you can see it moving with you as you turn. Also very noticeable with high beams on.

Let me know what you find as you drive at night, I'd be interested to hear if you have the same issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
@imthatguy: /\ That is how mine are currently. The drivers side is washed out by the passenger side at distance so a non-issue....but the pass side dark spot ends up being very visible while driving as there is a big hole on the right shoulder and when on curvy roads, you can see it moving with you as you turn. Also very noticeable with high beams on.

Let me know what you find as you drive at night, I'd be interested to hear if you have the same issue.
I wonder if it might be advantageous to rotate the passenger bulb back to how the OP has it, so the dead spots are down the center of the truck?

·
Super Moderator
7,381 Posts
I wonder if it might be advantageous to rotate the passenger bulb back to how the OP has it, so the dead spots are down the center of the truck?
That is my plan. I'm hoping the bright wash generally in the center will override the wire shadow...

Alternatively, I may see if I can get the shadow to be in the upper hemisphere so it is only an issue with brights, as I really have no need to count all the leaves on the trees at night ;-}

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JUST got done removing battery again on the left side to try to get rid of shadow by rotating bulb,,THE BULB WILL NOT ROTATE !! it has 1 small tab and 2 large tabs,,you cant put the large tab into the small slot
at least on a 16,,i do know that on the 15 [got both] that there is no shadow,,musta changed something,,awesome

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you have to trim the tabs with a pair of cutters. there is a photo on how to trim them in the HID thread.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep CHerokee Trailhawk
14 Posts

I have same issue on driver side. what a let down. MFC HID'S BeforeTrim1.jpg 20201117_BeforeTrim2.jpg
BeforeTrim1.jpg
20201117_BeforeTrim2.jpg

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Don't they offer support ? Refund ? Shadows like that should not happen anymore.

Reactions: KL14

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
The reason it happens is because when the housings are made, there is variances in how the tabs lock the bulb in to place. Some have no issues, others have an issue. Its quite simple to fix you trim the tab slightly back and reinstall and turn the bulb until the shadow is gone.

Read this thread on the bulb trimming

It's an easy fix

1 - 13 of 13 Posts