2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has already been posted (I looked, but could not find anything)... Visited our local dealer on 10-4-16 and found several 2017 Cherokees on the lot with HID headlights as standard equipment from the factory. The models I saw included Latitude, Trailhawk, and Altitude. There was also a Sport model, it too had HID headlights installed as an option. So, it looks like FCA heard the lighting complaints and now buyers of 2017's can get legal HID headlight systems from the factory for more than just the Limited model. Nice improvement!

Reactions: dhh3

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yep, every Cherokee except the Sport but, optional on the Sport.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
It's bitter/sweet afaik... Nice to have them, but they cost money which is added to base price one way or the other. We wouldn't need standard HIDs if they had designed decent halogen headlights to begin with. Though I guess prices for basic HID systems are slowly coming down due to more availability/higher production.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can we buy the factory HIDs for a 2017 and install on a 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Can we buy the factory HIDs for a 2017 and install on a 2015?
There have been HIDs for Cherokees since the 2014 model year, on Limiteds with the Luxury package. Some have looked into installing these on halogen equipped Cherokees, but there are basically 2 problems :
1) Prices are outrageous.
2) The wiring is different, the programming is different, so no plug and play. You can use the HID projectors, but for ballasts + bulbs + wiring + error cancelling you need to buy a separate HID kit.

I'm guessing it would be the same answer for the factory 2017 HIDs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked the dealer parts guy if there is a factory Halogen-to-HID retrofit kit for pre-2017 models and he could not find one in their parts system. I have also heard that the conversion would be very complex electrically and costly if attempted. But it is good to know that factory HID's are finally available across the Cherokee product line.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i want to compare the factory hids to our aftermarket ones, like which one is brighter and which has better cutoff lines

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's bitter/sweet afaik... Nice to have them, but they cost money which is added to base price one way or the other. We wouldn't need standard HIDs if they had designed decent halogen headlights to begin with. Though I guess prices for basic HID systems are slowly coming down due to more availability/higher production.
The HID Headlamp assemblies from the factory cost over 700.00 each and the LED turn signal/DRL/Side marker assembly costs over 600.00 each. The HID bulb itself is over 200.00 at the dealer and about 140.00ish at your local part store
Projector assemblies are far greater headlights than your standard Halogen or LED headlight bulbs. Wider pathway and more distance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There have been HIDs for Cherokees since the 2014 model year, on Limiteds with the Luxury package. Some have looked into installing these on halogen equipped Cherokees, but there are basically 2 problems :
1) Prices are outrageous.
2) The wiring is different, the programming is different, so no plug and play. You can use the HID projectors, but for ballasts + bulbs + wiring + error cancelling you need to buy a separate HID kit.

I'm guessing it would be the same answer for the factory 2017 HIDs.
So what you are saying is that in the 2017 cherokee (base model) the HID headlamp assembly that the projector bulbs go into are the same assembly used for the non HID equipped Halogen lightbulbs. Im wondering because someone backed into my jeep recently and broke the plastic lens and broke the headlamp housing. Bulb still works . ive been looking into the price difference for the halogrn vs the HID assemblies. They look like the same housing so I was just going to buy an Halogen assembly and install just the housing and then bolt up the HID ballast, etc and install the HID Projector and bulbs if I find the assemblies are the same. I know the grand cherokee headlamp assembly is different in that it has the blinker oor side marker as part of the headlamp assembly whereas the jeep cherokee has the blinked/side marker as part of the DRL Assembly.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
907 Posts
The entire assembly is different, I actually did the factory HID conversion on a Ford in '14. Got the assemblies, lamp control module, lamps and ballasts from a wrecked one, and ordered new plug ends for the wiring.
Installed and reprogrammed the BCM for HID. Were still running fine when I traded it in last fall.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
The HID Headlamp assemblies from the factory cost over 700.00 each and the LED turn signal/DRL/Side marker assembly costs over 600.00 each. The HID bulb itself is over 200.00 at the dealer and about 140.00ish at your local part store
Projector assemblies are far greater headlights than your standard Halogen or LED headlight bulbs. Wider pathway and more distance.
Just FYI : you can buy replacement D3S xenon bulbs on Amazon for $110 a pair. Yes, per pair, same Philips bulbs as original equipement :

You can even buy a very decent pair of Osram D3S bulbs (made in Germany, similar quality to Philips) for $96 on Amazon. A pair...
====

As far as headlamps, yes the halogen and HID headlamps are slightly different. From what I've read, the projectors are different, but it's not a huge difference, optically speaking.

You cannot stick a D3S xenon bulb (with an added ballast) in a halogen projector because bulb sockets (D3S vs 9005 or 9012) are completly different, so are the connectors. And the headlight monitoring wouldn't allow it, unless you correct it with a PWM module (present with adequate HID kits, for example).

So what you are saying is that in the 2017 cherokee (base model) the HID headlamp assembly that the projector bulbs go into are the same assembly used for the non HID equipped Halogen lightbulbs. Im wondering because someone backed into my jeep recently and broke the plastic lens and broke the headlamp housing. Bulb still works . ive been looking into the price difference for the halogrn vs the HID assemblies. They look like the same housing so I was just going to buy an Halogen assembly and install just the housing and then bolt up the HID ballast, etc and install the HID Projector and bulbs if I find the assemblies are the same. I know the grand cherokee headlamp assembly is different in that it has the blinker oor side marker as part of the headlamp assembly whereas the jeep cherokee has the blinked/side marker as part of the DRL Assembly.
The 2017 Sport without HID option is the only halogen equipped 2017 Cherokee.

If you need a headlamp, forget Mopar, go third party like TYC. On CarID for example, search with your model year (I used 2017 Latitude here) :

1 - 12 of 12 Posts