2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a full set of Terra Trac AT-X Venture in 255/65-17 for the Trailhawk. Decided to bite the bullet and replace the Sumitomo's a year early given the uncertainty around pending tire chain supply issues. (if you haven't heard, all the countries of the main suppliers of sap from rubber trees this year suffered heavy rains and a fungus outbreak on the trees, reducing yields substantially...this could reverberate for a while)
I'll post a full review of my impressions (with pics) once I have them installed and run them for a while. Hoping for an improvement in snow/ice traction (most users of the previous model TerraTrac ATII commented excellent winter traction) as well as a slight fuel mileage improvement (tires are 6 lbs lighter per tire over my Sumi's).

Early pic for views
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Reactions: j3r3myCs

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
Just bought a full set of Terra Trac AT-X Venture in 255/65-17 for the Trailhawk. Decided to bite the bullet and replace the Sumitomo's a year early given the uncertainty around pending tire chain supply issues. (if you haven't heard, all the countries of the main suppliers of sap from rubber trees this year suffered heavy rains and a fungus outbreak on the trees, reducing yields substantially...this could reverberate for a while)
I'll post a full review of my impressions (with pics) once I have them installed and run them for a while. Hoping for an improvement in snow/ice traction (most users of the previous model TerraTrac ATII commented excellent winter traction) as well as a slight fuel mileage improvement (tires are 6 lbs lighter per tire over my Sumi's).

Early pic for views
View attachment 216764
Those look like a decent tire for the money. Very similar to the Toyo Open Country A/T II...Keep us posted when you get some miles on them...😎

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'll post a review once I've driven on them for a bit. Will be paying close attention to their winter performance as well now that the season is almost upon us.
Now I have to figure out which sidewall will look better on the Cherokee...I'm kind of leaning more towards the squared off blocks in "option1" (RH pic)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tires have arrived today, woot! Even manufactured in the USA, no cheap Chinese stuff.

I think I'm definitely going to use the squared off scallops for the sidewall...I like it better than the swoopy one.

Let it snow!!
Only shitty part is, I have to wait a week to install them, as I'm on the road all this next week with work. 😢
One minor disappointment is the sidewall scallops don't seem to extend down the P-metric near as far as the ones on the LT versions...and naturally the only pics you find of them online are ....yep, the LT versions...forkers...lol

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Font Sleeve Advertising Signage News

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
These look interesting, I'm still on the fence for my Grand Cherokee, I have Bridgestone DM-V2 for the winter and nothing is better than those, but I don't have a set of AT tires and I don't want to have 2 sets of tires either.
Thought about Toyo AT3, Falklen AT3W(but already have them on the cherokee)
There is also the X-Journey which isn't as aggressive but winter traction being more important than offroad, hopefully some reviews start to come out.

Oh and there is the new BFG Trail Terrain T/A tires too......so many choices.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These look interesting, I'm still on the fence for my Grand Cherokee, I have Bridgestone DM-V2 for the winter and nothing is better than those, but I don't have a set of AT tires and I don't want to have 2 sets of tires either.
There is also the X-Journey which isn't as aggressive but winter traction being more important than offroad, hopefully some reviews start to come out.

I think you’ll be waiting a while for any big reviews (other than mine) Hercules tends to fly under the radar for most. They’re partnered with Cooper, which is the prime manufacturing capacity.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Close up of the square side scallops
alternating tread blocks for better mud/dirt traction…may help in snow as well…
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Oh yeah, and PS...the new BFG Trail Terrain seems to only be available from the US at the moment. I haven't found any listings for them up here. Was one I was actually interested in as well, yeah they're not very off road oriented, but for the amount of trail time this rig has actually seen so far it wouldn't be much of a loss. I figure they would be fairly quiet around town.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts