2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee North
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee 4wd north.
I started it today, went to leave and my steering wheel would not move. Then on the dash where the miles/speed and all that is, a steering wheel with an exclamation point popped up. And last week the auto stop/start popped up with an exclamation point. Can anyone tell me what to do?

· Administrator
7,636 Posts
First recommendation when any sort of electrical malfunction occurs with these Cherokees is to have the battery checked

Our vehicles are VERY voltage sensitive and a failing or undercharged battery is the first thing to check.

If you have a charger, might be best to get it going, then you may be able to drive to a local auto parts store or even dealer for a battery check

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Hi,

If you look at the center of the dash, you might see a message similar to : ''Steering assist disabled''.
I had this happen a few years ago, when my battery was dying. It happened after a cold start, all I had to do was shut down the engine, restart, and all was well. New battery fixed it right up. I also had ''4WD temporarily unavailable'' messages at the same time.. and again new battery fixed it.

If your battery is the original, chances are very high it is toast. Mine lasted 3.5 years, most here have reported anywhere from 2 to 5 years life on the original battery (with 2015+ V6 engine).

· Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee North
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

If you look at the center of the dash, you might see a message similar to : ''Steering assist disabled''.
I had this happen a few years ago, when my battery was dying. It happened after a cold start, all I had to do was shut down the engine, restart, and all was well. New battery fixed it right up. I also had ''4WD temporarily unavailable'' messages at the same time.. and again new battery fixed it.

If your battery is the original, chances are very high it is toast. Mine lasted 3.5 years, most here have reported anywhere from 2 to 5 years life on the original battery (with 2015+ V6 engine).
Thank you Mark.
I have been searching for information on this as soon as the start/stop! Appeared on dash. Kept saying battery charging. Leaving me totally confused. I only know so much about cars. But older model ones , when things were much more simpler. Being a woman, my Dad thought it was best for me to know. So typical oil changes, tune ups, ball joint issues and the other basics kept me going. Until newer models came out.

· Registered
222 Posts
Thank you Mark.
I have been searching for information on this as soon as the start/stop! Appeared on dash. Kept saying battery charging. Leaving me totally confused. I only know so much about cars. But older model ones , when things were much more simpler. Being a woman, my Dad thought it was best for me to know. So typical oil changes, tune ups, ball joint issues and the other basics kept me going. Until newer models came out.
You landed in the right place for any Cherokee questions you have. Lots of learned folks here, all too willing to help.

· Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee North
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You landed in the right place for any Cherokee questions you have. Lots of learned folks here, all too willing to help.
Hi,

I have another question. Hope you don’t mind. Just looking at the dash, the battery shows that it is charged/full. Is it still possible for it to be the cause of all this? I know the “start/stop!” says unavailable, battery charging, and the “steering!” is there…
I am confused now.
I have different people saying different things to me, like it may be a relay switch of some sort.

· Registered
4,362 Posts
Get the battery tested for free someplace and get a printout of the results.
Look for "battery health", it should be "ok".
Make sure the battery cable clamps are fastened securely, if you can twist them they are loose.
If the battery is ok then we'll have to consider other issues, like the IBS.

· Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee North
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the battery tested for free someplace and get a printout of the results.
Look for "battery health", it should be "ok".
Make sure the battery cable clamps are fastened securely, if you can twist them they are loose.
If the battery is ok then we'll have to consider other issues, like the IBS.
What is IBS?

· Registered
4,362 Posts
IBS is the intelligent battery sensor on the battery cable.
It measures battery information and provides it to a module (computer).

This is what the steering wheel icon means:
“POWER STEERING SYSTEM OVER
TEMP” message and a icon are displayed
on the EVIC screen, it indicates that
extreme steering maneuvers may have
occurred, which caused an over temperature condition
in the power steering system. You will lose
power steering assistance momentarily until the over
temperature condition no longer exists. Once driving
conditions are safe, then pull over and let vehicle idle.
After five minutes, the system will cool and return to
normal operation. Refer to “Power Steering” in
“Starting and Operating” for further information.

I really doubt you overheated the power steering, no telling what caused it.

When you get the battery checked have them check for check engine light (CEL) codes and history codes if possible.
I joined AAA decades ago just for peace of mind. Got it for my sister also so she wouldn't have to call me to rescue her.
AAA is a good place for both tests even if you are not a member.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
I have another question. Hope you don’t mind. Just looking at the dash, the battery shows that it is charged/full. Is it still possible for it to be the cause of all this? I know the “start/stop!” says unavailable, battery charging, and the “steering!” is there…
I am confused now.
I have different people saying different things to me, like it may be a relay switch of some sort.
Ok. take a deep breath... ;)

First off, when you look at the dash and see a voltage number, this is only indicating if your alternator is working properly... it does not give you any indication of your battery's health or charge status. Only a battery load test can determine how your battery is doing. If you see anything close to 14V in dash, with the engine running, it just means your alternator is in good shape.
If Stop/Start doesn't work and you see that 'Not available Battery Charging' message all the time, this is very probably your battery (= is slowly dying). With the steering assist problem, if similar to what I experienced, then that means the battery is nearing death, not accepting a good charge.

Can you continue to drive the Jeep ? It's hard to say how long the battery would allow you to... if, in fact, it is the battery.

You have a few options :
1) Get a battery test done asap, at any big auto parts store.
2) Take no chances and immediately replace the battery. Get a group 94R AGM (aka H7 AGM), they run about $230 and can be found at most auto parts stores, Costco, even Walmart has them in stock sometimes.
3) Risk waiting and continue to use the Jeep. Problem here is that you'd get into the unknown zone where a dead battery could leave you stranded, not even being able to boost it back to life.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
I’m afraid to drive it now. I have grandchildren that I bring and pick up from school. Suppose the steering wheel locks up while I am driving?
Me again. What exact message are you seeing for steering assist ?

Oh and your IBS should be fine. You haven't described any symptoms that would indicate it is faulty.

· Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee North
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me again. What exact message are you seeing for steering assist ?

Oh and your IBS should be fine. You haven't described any symptoms that would indicate it is faulty.
Just a steering wheel with ! . I was so frustrated when I couldn’t turn steering wheel. I didn’t check further. My son came over , started car and everything was fine. The start/stop! Came on again. But steering worked.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Just a steering wheel with ! . I was so frustrated when I couldn’t turn steering wheel. I didn’t check further. My son came over , started car and everything was fine. The start/stop! Came on again. But steering worked.
Thanks. I can't be 100% sure without being there myself, but this seems to be your battery.

And yes... ^^ Sam's Club has the best price for this battery type.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Thank you everyone. You were all so helpful. I will let you all know the outcome
And just to add... I don't think it's been mentionned yet : the power steering on the Cherokee is electric, not hydraulic like we've known them to be. So when steering assist (= power steering) goes out like you've experienced, it's an electrical issue. Add the Stop/Start not working to this mix, and focus clearly goes on the battery... so... start with the battery.

· Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee North
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And just to add... I don't think it's been mentionned yet : the power steering on the Cherokee is electric, not hydraulic like we've known them to be. So when steering assist (= power steering) goes out like you've experienced, it's an electrical issue. Add the Stop/Start not working to this mix, and focus clearly goes on the battery... so... start with the battery.
I will start with battery. I called a Jeep dealership today. And the mechanic told me my Jeep has two batteries. It will cost me 190 to just have them run test alone. Excuse me for this… but ***k them. A main battery alone is 256. I am on disability and this is not in the budget

· Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee North
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, today I went to use remote start and that isn’t working. Going to start with main battery and search on my own to see if there is an aux battery for start/ stop system

1 - 20 of 53 Posts