2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There - I just purchased a pre owned 2019 jeep cherokee limited with 22,000 miles. The car died yesterday at a stop light when the automatic stop engaged, and has yet to turn back on. We tried to have it jump started and it did not work, it doesnt seem to be a battery issue at all. the radio and the lights work, the engine just wont turn over to start the ignition. The screen also displays a message that says "starter safe mode" which I cant seem to find any information about on the internet. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't have a clue.
Which engine?
Possibly a relay issue.
Hang in there, hopefully somebody will reply soon.
When all else fails contact your Jeep dealer.
Get a real battery test, Cherokees have major battery issues.
If you bought a used Jeep you have major problems, get rid of it NOW,
The previous owner dumped it for a reason.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,342 Posts
Just because the radio and everything turns on doesn't mean the battery isn't bad. Try charging it, check all connections and grounds, and get a proper test done. Our Cherokees are very hard on batteries, my original lasted 14 months, had it replaced under warranty. Starter issues are extremely rare. I'm saying bad battery, or bad connection...😎

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Hi There - I just purchased a pre owned 2019 jeep cherokee limited with 22,000 miles. The car died yesterday at a stop light when the automatic stop engaged, and has yet to turn back on. We tried to have it jump started and it did not work, it doesnt seem to be a battery issue at all. the radio and the lights work, the engine just wont turn over to start the ignition. The screen also displays a message that says "starter safe mode" which I cant seem to find any information about on the internet. Has anyone else had an issue like this?
Hi there and welcome to JCC :)

Sorry to hear about that...

I don't know what the underlying problem is because I haven't seen this on the forum yet, for any engine. Could indeed be a starter issue, though rare.

One thing I am quite sure about though : when the engine shuts off with ESS (engine stop/start), it is in a special state, ready to fire back up instantly with the transmission already partially engaged. This special state also means... that you don't want a failure to happen when this engine stop has occured. I'm pretty sure you'll need to have the Jeep towed to a dealership and their tech will have to do some searching on how to reset this special state, and also find the underlying cause...

A weak or dying battery would not allow ESS to work at all, so this has to be something else (than the battery).

Keep us posted please, and good luck ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everybody - finally got the car back from the dealer. It ended up being a torn starter signal wire/connector. The guys at the dealership said that the car must have had work done prior to me buying it, because when they inspected the cord it appeared as though someone had yanked it causing it to rip. Likely the person who broke the cord tried to cover it up by attempting to plug it back in, even though it apparently barely would remain plugged in ...luckily it was a relatively easy fix with a new wire and it was covered by warranty. Thanks for all the input everybody !

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,342 Posts
Hey everybody - finally got the car back from the dealer. It ended up being a torn starter signal wire/connector. The guys at the dealership said that the car must have had work done prior to me buying it, because when they inspected the cord it appeared as though someone had yanked it causing it to rip. Likely the person who broke the cord tried to cover it up by attempting to plug it back in, even though it apparently barely would remain plugged in ...luckily it was a relatively easy fix with a new wire and it was covered by warranty. Thanks for all the input everybody !
Excellent!!!😎

1 - 8 of 8 Posts