2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
fusseli - I have a pair of JL C2-350x and Alpine SPE 6090 I plan to install in my 6 speaker setup. I also have some SPR-60c components from my last car. Reading through your install makes me wonder - would you think I could run the SPE6090 in the rear, and use the woofer from my Alpine component speakers in the door? They have a LPF - the inductor reads 0.20mH and from quick reading I'm guessing this would be around 3200hz, would there be too much overlap in frequencies from the full range in the dash?

Previously I had a WJ Grand Cherokee with the components installed in the front - tweeters dash and woofers door, howver there was definitely a noticeable gap between sound. This car has a good sound stage although abysmal speakers - I'd like to keep the stage as close to stock as possible while upgrading the quality of the speakers and am wondering if the overlap would hurt or help.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
fusseli - I have a pair of JL C2-350x and Alpine SPE 6090 I plan to install in my 6 speaker setup. I also have some SPR-60c components from my last car. Reading through your install makes me wonder - would you think I could run the SPE6090 in the rear, and use the woofer from my Alpine component speakers in the door? They have a LPF - the inductor reads 0.20mH and from quick reading I'm guessing this would be around 3200hz, would there be too much overlap in frequencies from the full range in the dash?

Previously I had a WJ Grand Cherokee with the components installed in the front - tweeters dash and woofers door, howver there was definitely a noticeable gap between sound. This car has a good sound stage although abysmal speakers - I'd like to keep the stage as close to stock as possible while upgrading the quality of the speakers and am wondering if the overlap would hurt or help.
The overlap in filtered/unfiltered frequency range will be hard on the amplifier since it will be driving both in parallel. Otherwise it might sound fine, you could drop the midrange to compensate a little.

I'm thinking hard about upgrading my setup further using one of the new DSP amps-- there are a lot of nice new ones for 2018. I'm looking at the Sony XM-GS6DSP that I could use for a 500Hz active HPF/LPF between the dash and door speakers, and the assign the back doors as subs. Then use the onboard EQ to balance out the 60 Hz cabin boom the KL has, and of course take advantage of DSP time alignment...

·
Registered
62 Posts
TLDR: Upgraded all speakers now the dash is too loud/bright/harsh. Bass +4, mid +0, treb -2, fade to rear -3. Need help lowering dash speaker volume.

I've finally decided to upgrade my 2014 Lat base 6 speakers. I believe I've read all audio/speaker threads here. I ended up purchasing:

Pioneer TS-A878 for the dash
Alpine R-S69 for all 4 doors (SPR-69 no longer available)
Metra 71-050 and 72-7902 adapters

I've installed the dash speakers first since they arrived first. I noticed it sounds great as long as I keep the volume under 13. Anything over and it's too loud and piercing. Overpowers the door speakers. Gets worse as volume increases. Adjusting treble doesn't help. Ended with Bass +4, mid +0, treb -2, fade to rear -3 but still ear piercing and lost midbass up front.

A few days later I installed the Alpines in all 4 doors and although the Alpines sound great, the dash is still too loud and overpowering.

I tried reversing the polarities on both dash speakers but did not help. I think reversing the polarities may have made it a little worse and sounds distorted at 15+ volume.

I then tried without any dash speakers and just the Alpines in the doors. I didn't like sound, and would prefer completely stock compared to this.

At the moment I have the stock dash speakers with the Alpines in the door. Overall It's better than stock, but I would like to improve it without too much work if possible.

I feel like if the volume on the dash can be controlled independently, this would solve my problem.

The pioneer dash speakers are 4 ohm, while the stock are 8 ohm. Is this playing a big part in the volume? I notice as I increase the volume, the Dash's volume increase exponentially with the pioneers, does this make sense? I'm willing to purchase 8 ohm speakers, I could not find any though. Is there something I could add to the dash speakers? I've read resistors can mess up the sound and could add peaks and dips.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
TLDR: Upgraded all speakers now the dash is too loud/bright/harsh. Bass +4, mid +0, treb -2, fade to rear -3. Need help lowering dash speaker volume.
I've installed the dash speakers first since they arrived first. I noticed it sounds great as long as I keep the volume under 13. Anything over and it's too loud and piercing. Overpowers the door speakers. Gets worse as volume increases. Adjusting treble doesn't help. Ended with Bass +4, mid +0, treb -2, fade to rear -3 but still ear piercing and lost midbass up front.

A few days later I installed the Alpines in all 4 doors and although the Alpines sound great, the dash is still too loud and overpowering.

I tried reversing the polarities on both dash speakers but did not help. I think reversing the polarities may have made it a little worse and sounds distorted at 15+ volume.

I then tried without any dash speakers and just the Alpines in the doors. I didn't like sound, and would prefer completely stock compared to this.

At the moment I have the stock dash speakers with the Alpines in the door. Overall It's better than stock, but I would like to improve it without too much work if possible.

I feel like if the volume on the dash can be controlled independently, this would solve my problem.

The pioneer dash speakers are 4 ohm, while the stock are 8 ohm. Is this playing a big part in the volume? I notice as I increase the volume, the Dash's volume increase exponentially with the pioneers, does this make sense? I'm willing to purchase 8 ohm speakers, I could not find any though. Is there something I could add to the dash speakers? I've read resistors can mess up the sound and could add peaks and dips.
I'm in the same boat right now; I want to upgrade my factory speakers (6 speaker option) but am having a heck of a time finding quality 3.5" 8-ohm dash speakers.

When an 8-ohm and 4-ohm speaker are wired in parallel to the same channel like the dash/front door speakers are from the factory, the 8-ohm speakers will only see HALF of the power that the 4-ohm speakers see since they are TWICE the resistance. Which also means that the 8-ohm speakers will be quieter than the 4-ohm speakers (assuming similar sensitivities/efficiencies). If both speakers are 4-ohm, then they each get the same amount of power and produce the same amount of sound (same assumptions). BUT, with the dash speakers closer to your ears and the highs reflecting off the windshield back at your ears (instead of being aimed at and absorbed by your legs like the door speakers are), the dash speakers sound louder and harsher.

FCA got around this harshness by using 8-ohm speakers in the dash to attenuate the sound relative to the door speakers. Now, one option is to use 4-ohm speakers in the dash and 2-ohm speakers in the door (same ratio as factory), but now we're HALVING the effective resistance that the radio "sees". Yes, it'll put out TWICE the power (assuming perfect amplification, which isn't happening in a stock head unit!), or the same sound intensity at half the Volume Level, but is that SAFE for the radio? I have a Lifetime Maxcare warranty and don't want to void the radio warranty due to installing low-impedance speakers.

I've thought about buying the Mopar/Kicker upgrade speakers, but they seem way overpriced for what you actually get. Plus, they are 4-ohm speakers all around. Will the dash speakers sound "harsh"? Some people like the sound, some don't. I don't want to spend $300 to test the theory.

Reactions: Jon Hatfield

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just got these Infinity Reference 3.5" and it made a WORLD of difference for the front sound stage. I have treble and some mids now. I am thinking about a custom setup later down the road, as i want a nice SQ system, but i want it to look completely stock. Looking at putting a 8 or 10" sub where the factory sub would have been so need to hint down a new(used) rear panel that had the factory sub so i could modify it. Still dont know where i would hide some amps, a 4ch for main speakers, and a mono for sub. Also nay just do basic system with an alpine/kicker small amp that can fit under the dash, and getting the new JBL subhub that is a 11" sub with built in amp that fits in the inside of a spare tire.

·
Registered
268 Posts
OK, I've tried to go through all of the posts on this thread, but may have missed the one thing I'm looking for...

...I have the six-speaker setup and replaced them all myself. The one question I have is about the subwoofer in the nine-speaker package. Basically, will a subwoofer work with the six setup? Would Jeep have run wiring for all speaker possibilities, regardless of the specific vehicle package, and does the 8.4 system need to have different software IF the number of speakers are changed?

I'm thinking of adding a subwoofer to my six-speaker package and trying to find out how possible that would be. Feedback is welcome!

·
Registered
21 Posts
FCA got around this harshness by using 8-ohm speakers in the dash to attenuate the sound relative to the door speakers. Now, one option is to use 4-ohm speakers in the dash and 2-ohm speakers in the door (same ratio as factory), but now we're HALVING the effective resistance that the radio "sees". Yes, it'll put out TWICE the power (assuming perfect amplification, which isn't happening in a stock head unit!), or the same sound intensity at half the Volume Level, but is that SAFE for the radio? I have a Lifetime Maxcare warranty and don't want to void the radio warranty due to installing low-impedance speakers.
Out of curiosity, how would this have any sort of negative effect on the radio?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The lower the speaker resistance, the more power the radio will try to put out. I have no idea what the minimum speaker resistance rating for the radio is though, nor do I know if the radio has "too low resistance" protection circuitry. If you get too low, it's basically the same as a "dead short" and electronics inside the radio will overheat and become damaged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The lower the speaker resistance, the more power the radio will try to put out. I have no idea what the minimum speaker resistance rating for the radio is though, nor do I know if the radio has "too low resistance" protection circuitry. If you get too low, it's basically the same as a "dead short" and electronics inside the radio will overheat and become damaged.
I sent an email to Panasonic asking about this. Let’s see if they respond at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Panasonic? Do they make the 8.4 radios for Jeep? I dunno - never pulled the head unit to look for a manufacturer label.
The question would need to be posed to the manufacturer of the head unit; ask them what is the minimum speaker impedance that the head unit is rated for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Panasonic? Do they make the 8.4 radios for Jeep? I dunno - never pulled the head unit to look for a manufacturer label.
The question would need to be posed to the manufacturer of the head unit; ask them what is the minimum speaker impedance that the head unit is rated for.
Yeah. It's made by Panasonic. If they respond I'll see what info I can get.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah. It's made by Panasonic. If they respond I'll see what info I can get.
I sent requests to both FCA and Panasonic.

FCA responded with this:
"Our records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
UAQ Uconnect 4C NAV with 8.4 Display
RCG 6 Speakers

Unfortunately, the impedance and RMS information you are seeking are either unavailable or considered proprietary; therefore, we are unable to assist you with your requests. "

Panasonic has yet to respond.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts