2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4L. The remote starters won't work nor will the push start button. The Jeep has power and all accessories come on but it won't start. We have put in a new battery, so I know its not that. The brake pedal is hard and doesn't depress when its stepped on. We were able to get the Jeep into neutral once and tried to start it but still would not. Anyone have any suggestions or have had this issue? I have contacted several Jeep dealer service techs but no one knows what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Loose battery cable, they are tricky to get on tight, with the clamp loose tap lightly on the clamp to make sure it is firmly in place.
Presumably you had the new battery installed someplace and drove it home.
Even new batteries can fail, stuff happens, test the battery again.
The battery sales person should Warranty their installation and battery.
The brake pedal is hard because you have applied it enough to remove all of the vacuum from the booster.
A firm pedal at this point means there is no air in the brake lines which is good.
Keep us updated, this sound like a sob story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When we put the new battery in, the Jeep still didn’t start. We are replacing the brake pedal assembly and the booster to see if that will help. Our next trial is going to try to jump it through the starter relay but having a difficult time finding the schematics.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
starting

When we put the new battery in, the Jeep still didn’t start. We are replacing the brake pedal assembly and the booster to see if that will help. Our next trial is going to try to jump it through the starter relay but having a difficult time finding the schematics.
When the Jeep did not start did the starter spin the engine properly?
My personal opinion is you do not need to replace the brake pedal assembly.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4L. The remote starters won't work nor will the push start button. The Jeep has power and all accessories come on but it won't start.
When I read the first part of this, I was going to say the exact same thing happened to me 2 days ago, and a new battery solved it. But then I read on...
We have put in a new battery, so I know its not that. The brake pedal is hard and doesn't depress when its stepped on. We were able to get the Jeep into neutral once and tried to start it but still would not. Anyone have any suggestions or have had this issue? I have contacted several Jeep dealer service techs but no one knows what the problem is.
Did you put in a new battery after this happened, or before? If before, it could well be your charging system isn't working correctly, and you've run down your new battery.

Anyhow, hope this helps. Best of luck to you in getting it resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the Jeep did not start did the starter spin the engine properly?
My personal opinion is you do not need to replace the brake pedal assembly.
We put the new battery in after it died to ensure it wasn’t that. All the lights and accessories come on but it won’t turn over. It makes a “clicking” sound when we try to start it. The brakes were getting stiff just before it died. Do you know how we can test the starter without taking it out? We can’t find an easy way to get to the starter. We are replacing the brake assembly because there is a crack on the brake light switch.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
The click means the starter solenoid is ok. Sounds like a bad starter.
Don't know of any way to test the starter. It will probably have to be removed to test it.
Defective starters are extremely rare.
I have run out of ideas, let us know how you finally get it fixed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The click means the starter solenoid is ok. Sounds like a bad starter.
Don't know of any way to test the starter. It will probably have to be removed to test it.
Remove it and apply power to it. If it spins under power, it's good.
Defective starters are extremely rare.
They are indeed, but it does happen occasionally. It's more likely something else.

·
Registered
407 Posts
We put the new battery in after it died to ensure it wasn’t that. All the lights and accessories come on but it won’t turn over. It makes a “clicking” sound when we try to start it. The brakes were getting stiff just before it died. Do you know how we can test the starter without taking it out? We can’t find an easy way to get to the starter. We are replacing the brake assembly because there is a crack on the brake light switch.
I know you put a new battery in, but did you actually check the voltage? Many of those batteries have sat on the shelf for a while. I would check that before I spent any more time or money doing anything else.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Gosh, it sounds like lack of battery power to me... Loose connectors ? Bad new battery ? I know, what are the odds... But I like those odds better than a bad starter.

One way to rule out the battery : try jump starting it with another vehicle (engine running on that vehicle).

Maybe the BCM is kaput (body control module), never seen that on these forums for a Cherokee, but who knows...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gosh, it sounds like lack of battery power to me... Loose connectors ? Bad new battery ? I know, what are the odds... But I like those odds better than a bad starter.

One way to rule out the battery : try jump starting it with another vehicle (engine running on that vehicle).

Maybe the BCM is kaput (body control module), never seen that on these forums for a Cherokee, but who knows...
We took a battery out of our Ram truck, exact same battery and the Jeep still won’t start. We tried battery booster and no luck. As horrible as it seems, going to try to get the starter out and hope that’s the problem.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
We took a battery out of our Ram truck, exact same battery and the Jeep still won’t start. We tried battery booster and no luck. As horrible as it seems, going to try to get the starter out and hope that’s the problem.
Yikes. Ok then, not a battery issue for sure.

Could a bad ground connection cause something like this ? Anyway, going at the starter sounds logical right now. Keep us posted !

·
Registered
445 Posts
This video by a mechanic may be helpful:

You have to ignore his ranting about how the truck is "crap." He spends a lot of his on-air time criticizing various makes, and seems to regard FCA as the worst of the worst. However, when it comes to the actual substance of this repair, he presents a very methodical way of analyzing and testing a vehicle that won't start but still has power.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
It definitely sounds like the starter to me.

Your brake pedal is going to be firm the more you try it, without power to running through the system. As soon as the engine turns over the first time, that pressure will relax.

Random anecdote, my dad's Chevy Astrovan had an AWFUL starter. He kept a small ball peen hammer in the van at all times and would tap it a few times while someone turned the key. Worked 90% of the time for him.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Could it be the "Intelligent Battery Sensor"? - ie. would that kill the system if it's sensing whatever battery is connected (even jumped) as stuffed??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4L. The remote starters won't work nor will the push start button. The Jeep has power and all accessories come on but it won't start. We have put in a new battery, so I know its not that. The brake pedal is hard and doesn't depress when its stepped on. We were able to get the Jeep into neutral once and tried to start it but still would not. Anyone have any suggestions or have had this issue? I have contacted several Jeep dealer service techs but no one knows what the problem is.
I'm having the same problem was there a fix

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
I'm having the same problem was there a fix
Welcome to JCC :)

That member was here 11 months ago and has not logged into the forum since, so I doubt we'll hear from them again. But maybe we will..
So can you tell us more about your specific situation ? Model year and engine for starters, then perhaps a short list of problems and fixes attempted... would get us rolling. Thx.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same problem here, did you ever get this fixed? was it the starter cuz thats what im thinking it is.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
Having the same problem here, did you ever get this fixed? was it the starter cuz thats what im thinking it is.
Starters going bad on our Cherokees is extremely rare, but bad batteries are the culprit like 95% of the time. Cherokees are very hard on batteries, and though you might have enough power to run some things, you won't have the "cranking amps" to start it. There's a set amount of amperage that needs to be present for the computer to even send power to the starter. A proper electronic battery test would be the place to start. Try charging it up if you have access to a charger, or get a jump, and take it to your friendly neighborhood auto parts store for a free battery health analysis...😎

1 - 20 of 40 Posts