2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Cherokee community, I’ve got a 19’ Limited I bought for my hunting and fishing excursions. I frequently find myself in the mountains. There are many times where I’m downshifting to lower gears to keep from overheating my brakes which works well but I will likely need replacements this year. What’s the best heavy duty set up? I see complete kits I can buy. Just hoping for opinions from those who’ve done it, thanks

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Actually I think the stock brakes are great. I drive in the mountains and off road and the stock brakes work just fine.
Refer to my Posts in this link: Brake fluid
Any brake failure would be caused by boiling the brake fluid. You can minimize the chances of this happening by using Mopar DOT 4 brake fluid which is specified for Dodge SRT cars.
Replacing the brake fluid in the reservoir every couple months will make sure there is minimum moisture in the entire system.
Check the inboard rear rotors, when they get rusty they don't easily want to wear off the rust. You need all of the rotors nice and shiny on both sides.
I have found it is best to replace the pads, rotors, one time use bolts and anti-squeal clips every 50k miles. This would also be a good time to flush the entire system with DOT 4 brake fluid.
Have a ASE Certified brake technician do the work so it gets done correctly. I am really fond of great brakes.
The software for ABS, traction control and stability control is programmed for the use of stock parts, anything else will just unbalance the system.

I used to mess with the brakes on my Oldsmobile by using metallic rear brake shoes and really made the braking operation too good, it was dangerous.

Obviously there are lots of aftermarket systems and people have installed them but I wouldn't recommend any of them.
You will get lots of other opinions so hang in there.
In the meantime search for 'brakes' in Search community above, there are lots of Posts.
This is my opinion and everybody will do their own 'It's a Jeep thing".

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey Cherokee community, I’ve got a 19’ Limited I bought for my hunting and fishing excursions. I frequently find myself in the mountains. There are many times where I’m downshifting to lower gears to keep from overheating my brakes which works well but I will likely need replacements this year. What’s the best heavy duty set up? I see complete kits I can buy. Just hoping for opinions from those who’ve done it, thanks
I put on
Actually I think the stock brakes are great. I drive in the mountains and off road and the stock brakes work just fine.
Refer to my Posts in this link: Brake fluid
Any brake failure would be caused by boiling the brake fluid. You can minimize the chances of this happening by using Mopar DOT 4 brake fluid which is specified for Dodge SRT cars.
Replacing the brake fluid in the reservoir every couple months will make sure there is minimum moisture in the entire system.
Check the inboard rear rotors, when they get rusty they don't easily want to wear off the rust. You need all of the rotors nice and shiny on both sides.
I have found it is best to replace the pads, rotors, one time use bolts and anti-squeal clips every 50k miles. This would also be a good time to flush the entire system with DOT 4 brake fluid.
Have a ASE Certified brake technician do the work so it gets done correctly. I am really fond of great brakes.
The software for ABS, traction control and stability control is programmed for the use of stock parts, anything else will just unbalance the system.

I used to mess with the brakes on my Oldsmobile by using metallic rear brake shoes and really made the braking operation too good, it was dangerous.

Obviously there are lots of aftermarket systems and people have installed them but I wouldn't recommend any of them.
You will get lots of other opinions so hang in there.
In the meantime search for 'brakes' in Search community above, there are lots of Posts.
This is my opinion and everybody will do their own 'It's a Jeep thing".
i installEd Powerstop Z36 with Raybestos calipers this summer,. Honestly I believe the factory set up felt much tighter.
I performed break in on the Powerstops followed it to the letter and when I do the brakes again I will probably go back to factory set up.
I just did not get the “Powerstop feel” I was expecting.
was able to keep my factory calipers , since (Raybestos are new and no core return) which are now powder coated and boxed ready for the day to install the new seals and pistons before install.
My two cents

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,889 Posts
I have to agree. The stock brake system is very effective, and efficient. The only thing I might change if I even do that when it comes time for a brake job, is replace the pads with the Napa ceramic pads. Same ones I run on the Shelby with it's Brembos. Inexpensive, and highly efficient...😎

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Mopar brakes are really good for this Cherokee. I have also heard from quite a few members on this forum that Power Stop are not high-end brakes, even their 'heavy duty' kit ; they got the marketing part right though.

I have also seen many enthusiasts here swear by EBC. They have different lines at different prices, they are expensive, but apprently they are truely premium brakes.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I put on

i installEd Powerstop Z36 with Raybestos calipers this summer,. Honestly I believe the factory set up felt much tighter.
I performed break in on the Powerstops followed it to the letter and when I do the brakes again I will probably go back to factory set up.
I just did not get the “Powerstop feel” I was expecting.
was able to keep my factory calipers , since (Raybestos are new and no core return) which are now powder coated and boxed ready for the day to install the new seals and pistons before install.
My two cents
I have EBC greenstuff 4000 pads in the rear, greenstuff 6000 in the front, and slotted EBC rotors. I think that they gripped a little less than the stock rotors/pads when new and now I can't really tell. Except I do seem to possibly have a runout/caliper issue on the right side as I'm starting to get pulsating sounds after 6000 miles. Still need to sort that out. In the future I may switch to the yellowstuff pads which are higher friction to get more grip.

Higher friction/stopping power = more dust usually unless we are talking carbon ceramic.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
632 Posts
I upgraded to the z36 pads front and back. I do feel they are slightly better than stock, but not drastic. I didn't worry about changing the rotors as they were perfectly smooth with no grooves. I'll do them next time. Do you have the 2 piston front? If so, even better.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I tried powerstop performance kit on 2013 outback was worst brakes I put on it.

If going aftermarket I like raybestos Element 3. Nice coated rotors, pads work good.
Some of the higher tier centric are also good.

FWIW the more marketing wank and performance look usually = they perform worse than OE.

Not a fan of cross drilled... slotted can be ok but see no need its not a Wrx Sti autocrossing.

Main thing you can do for mountainous driving is "Stab Braking" not the emergency type.

you brake hard for a few seconds to reduce speed then get off the brakes so they can cool.
Best used with gearing for some engine braking inbetween "stabs"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s what I’ve always done but lately I’ve been using the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I deal with people all of the time who think they can look at a rotor, and tell if it's bad with their naked eye. Look, I've been in this field since highschool, and it's not worth saving the extra dollars, just get new rotors every time you replace your pads.
People like that make people who work in the automotive field's life so much harder than it has to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts