2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

Registered
Replaced the battery under warranty, everything is fine now. Resting Voltage is King on these things...LOL!!!鈿♀殹馃槑
Thanks for the reply. The Challenger and the Jeep both were 3-4 months old when I picked them up off the lot. In both cases I had to replace the wipers on cars with 3 miles and 7 miles respectively because they had formed to the windshield park position and didn't flex anymore. The Jeep was leased during the COVID shutdown in Michigan and so I literally parked it from April to June and barely drove it. Then I was driving my convertible until September when I traded it on the Challenger and drove it while the Jeep sat.

Maybe my battery on the Challenger needs to be topped off. The Cherokee is being driven daily at this point and I haven't had this issue since I started driving it full time. I also haven't had a day with a warm evening in a while either so maybe I will need to have the battery checked at my first oil change.

Either way, I think all the current FCA vehicles are extremely resting voltage sensitive and the ones with ESS and one battery more so.

Registered
2018 Trailhawk, 3.2
on the subject of heated seats....I'm sure the answer is NO...but is there any way to get the passenger seat heating to come on as well as the driver's seat during remote start? Normally there's 2 of us getting in the car and the leather seats are pretty chilly on cold mornings....

Registered
on the subject of heated seats....I'm sure the answer is NO...but is there any way to get the passenger seat heating to come on as well as the driver's seat during remote start? Normally there's 2 of us getting in the car and the leather seats are pretty chilly on cold mornings....
No way has been found yet.

It's a real head scratcher TBH

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
If I had to guess... With the known battery life problems, they may have had to manage the idle power draw and make a few sacrifices...
That makes sense...

Reactions: Moosehead

Registered
2018 Trailhawk, 3.2
Thanks for the input guys, ideally I'd have the option to heat both seats but leave the steering wheel heating off.....jeez what am I complaining about, I used to drive a 1970's Land Rover and the first corner on a winter's morning would deposit a pint of cold water down the back of my neck from the inner channel of the all metal roof....lol

Registered
After starting the car, what is your Jeep indicating the outside temp is?

On several occasions, while parked outside, I have noticed how even though it is below freezing, my seats and heated steering wheel weren't activated at initial start up when they should of been. On those occasions I have noted that the indicated outside temp is way off, reading much higher than it is, which would of course prevent the activation of the heated seats/steering wheel.

Now don't ask me why the temp reading is way off because I have no idea, but once I drive the car a bit, it quickly corrects itself.
I've had moments that despite it being maybe 30 degrees outside, if the sun is shining directly on the vehicle, it can cause a false reading for the outside ambient air temp, and thus read much higher than what it really is. I don't consider this a big deal as I can always manually turn on the heated seats, and steering wheel.

Registered
For me :
The issue lies with parking it in the garage.

it works everytime I park outside. IF I park in the garage the garage warms up some from the car
then it wont auto turn on (it seems to think its warmer out than it is)
if its super cold out.. works fine in garage too.

fwiw: unheated attached garage but there is a breezeway so its not much warmer than ambient temp.. unless the car was fully warmed up when parked.. then it can be 10-20f over ambient even after 8 hours.

Registered
This morning no automatic heated seats it thought it was 42f in the garage (it was 34f) and 24f outside.
started it at work a few mins ago its 29f out and seats came on automatically.

also when parked in the garage warm it takes 3-4 miles to trickle down to the correct outside temp.

Registered
For me :

it works everytime I park outside. IF I park in the garage the garage warms up some from the car

fwiw: unheated attached garage but there is a breezeway so its not much warmer than ambient temp.. unless the car was fully warmed up when parked.. then it can be 10-20f over ambient even after 8 hours.
Same here.

Registered
For me :

Yeah. The residual heat coming off the engine when sitting overnight likely gives a false reading when you start it back up. That being said, as I mentioned in my previous post, if the seats don't turn on automatically because the sensor is reading higher than the actual ambient temp, then I just manually turn them on upon first starting. IMO, I consider this to be a non-issue, but YMMV.

Reactions: GCWIMMER

Registered
I've seen this happen with mine intermittently, the temperature discrepancy. I noticed it a few days ago. I park outisde, it was roughly 25F, drove the Jeep in the morning then back home where it sat for a good 6 hours before I drove it again. Cloudy day, not sure about the winds but light to none as far as I recall. When I started it up late afternoon, temp displayed was 45F while outdoor temp was still near 25F. Needed to drive a few blocks before temp was accurate. I don't use auto heated seats, so never an issue for me.
My guess is what others here seem to think : heat radiating from the engine effects the temp sensor and no wind is probably a must for this to happen (always true indoors), direct sunlight on the front may contribute as well.

Registered
This happens to me on a regular basis, but I experience the exact opposite of what some are reporting in this thread. IE: If parked in my garage over night it always works right the next morning with the proper temp displayed upon startup.

Where it does not always work properly is if I drive the car somewhere and then park outside for a few hours. Upon startup it displays a temp up to 20 degrees above actual temp. I just write it off as the sun being low in the sky during the winter and it is hitting the temp sensor.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts