2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
This happened to me today for the first time. I've had my 2020 Cherokee for about a week now and I went to the gas station to air up the tires. I left the Cherokee running while I hopped out to air up the tires. As I was airing up a tire, I heard my horn honk lightly. I thought to myself well that was weird but kept airing up the tire and it honked again. At that point I was thinking what the heck?? I stopped with the tire and got inside the driver's side and noticed the emergency flashers on. I tried turning them off with the button and no luck. Turn the Cherokee off and on again was the only way I could get the flashers to turn off. The temp here is 35F-40F today and I have the standard plastic key (insert to start), no remote or push button start.
That might be the feature to that tells you have inflated the tire enough. That feature is documented my the 2019 Jeep manual.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
This happened to me today for the first time. I've had my 2020 Cherokee for about a week now and I went to the gas station to air up the tires. I left the Cherokee running while I hopped out to air up the tires. As I was airing up a tire, I heard my horn honk lightly. I thought to myself well that was weird but kept airing up the tire and it honked again. At that point I was thinking what the heck?? I stopped with the tire and got inside the driver's side and noticed the emergency flashers on. I tried turning them off with the button and no luck. Turn the Cherokee off and on again was the only way I could get the flashers to turn off. The temp here is 35F-40F today and I have the standard plastic key (insert to start), no remote or push button start.
That's the Tire Pressure Monitoring System telling you that your tire is at "recommend" pressure when the horn honks while airing up. I believe that's around 36psi. As far as the hazzard lights turning on, not sure, unless it could be some kind of warning that maybe one, or more of the tires may be overinflated or something???

Reactions: idonbro

·
Registered
3 Posts
That might be the feature to that tells you have inflated the tire enough. That feature is documented my the 2019 Jeep manual.
Thanks Keith! That is a pretty amazing feature. I did notice the display was showing the tire at 40psi when I left, however, tire gauge I was using read 34psi. I'll go by the dash reading from now on since other post I read say it's fairly accurate :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's the Tire Pressure Monitoring System telling you that your tire is at "recommend" pressure when the horn honks while airing up. I believe that's around 36psi. As far as the hazzard lights turning on, not sure, unless it could be some kind of warning that maybe one, or more of the tires may be overinflated or something???
I'm wondering if that's the case too about the hazards coming on if the tire is overinflated. Not too concerned about it unless if it becomes random/persistent. The tire gauge I was using seems to be around 6psi off.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm wondering if that's the case too about the hazards coming on if the tire is overinflated. Not too concerned about it unless if it becomes random/persistent. The tire gauge I was using seems to be around 6psi off.
Ya, I use an analog dial type gauge. It's actually pretty close, within a half a pound or so from the TPMS system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened to me several times in hot and cold weather. I have a 2020 Jeep Cherokee. My flashers come on after I’ve been sitting in the car in idle for several minutes. my radio changes stations by itself while I’m driving. My daughter thought I had the radio controls on the steering wheel but I don’t. Also, my horn honked lightly once or twice when I got out of the vehicle and left it on. I contacted my local keep dealer today.it was late so they said they will contact me tomorrow for an appointment. I will update my post after they inspect it and give me an explanation or fix it.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The flashers come on when filling up the tires I guess to draw attention that you are outside of the vehicle, and I guess incase you are on the side of the road, to alert other drivers. It will also honk when you're at a pressure that it's happy with.

I think this is a different use case than the OP.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The flashers come on when filling up the tires I guess to draw attention that you are outside of the vehicle, and I guess incase you are on the side of the road, to alert other drivers. It will also honk when you're at a pressure that it's happy with.

I think this is a different use case than the OP.
I've never had the flashers come on while airing up, and I check pressures weekly. Now yes, the horn will give you a quick toot when you reach 36psi or so, which is where I keep them most of the time. Not sure how accurate that is, because I always go by my pressure gauge, and never what the TPS is saying, because I have found that to be way off sometimes, when the wheels aren't rolling. My TPS will show 4 different numbers all over the place first thing in the morning, like 3-4 psi difference, until I drive it for a few minutes, and everything equals out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds to me like there's an interior carbon monoxide sensor that's tripping and causing this to happen.

Try the same routine with the at least two of the windows down.

Please post the results.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sounds to me like there's an interior carbon monoxide sensor that's tripping and causing this to happen.

Try the same routine with the at least two of the windows down.

Please post the results.
Is that even a thing???🤔

·
Registered
116 Posts
No such thing as an interior carbon monoxide sensor ...
Well then, I guess it could be the result of a logical deduction algorithm.

I'd still like to know what happens with the windows down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times as well. I have a 2020 cherokee with no push to start. It happens on my lunch breaks when I'm in my car but no honking, only flashers. I can't turn them off untill I turn off the car and start again. Today it was 30F out and I was airing up my tire with the car running and it happened 3X. Does anybody have an answer for this?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times as well. I have a 2020 cherokee with no push to start. It happens on my lunch breaks when I'm in my car but no honking, only flashers. I can't turn them off untill I turn off the car and start again. Today it was 30F out and I was airing up my tire with the car running and it happened 3X. Does anybody have an answer for this?
Flashing/honking when you are putting air in your tires is described as normal operation in the Owners Manual, and can be disabled in a Uconnect menu.

The flashing when you're not filling up with air, is what we have yet to determine the reason for yet lol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know the OPs post is old , but it used to shorten the life of Catalytic Converters if you let your car idle for long periods of time due to unburned fuel getting built up in the converter. Not sure if this is still the case in newer cars with even more computer control, but it would be interesting to see oxygen sensor readings when people’s hazards turn on after long idle periods, it may be a warning trying to save the converters from damage.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I know the OPs post is old , but it used to shorten the life of Catalytic Converters if you let your car idle for long periods of time due to unburned fuel getting built up in the converter. Not sure if this is still the case in newer cars with even more computer control, but it would be interesting to see oxygen sensor readings when people’s hazards turn on after long idle periods, it may be a warning trying to save the converters from damage.
I really doubt it. I have never heard of your your hazards coming onto warn you of an impending issue. But who knows. Sounds more like some weird electrical gremlin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
I really doubt it. I have never heard of your your hazards coming onto warn you of an impending issue. But who knows. Sounds more like some weird electrical gremlin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I doubt it too, but wanted to throw something out there since others have had it happen and the OP never got or gave an answers . It’s a weird fluke to happen to more then one person .

21 - 39 of 39 Posts