2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the first few things that I did to Hawk since I purchased it in November.

Thanks to others on this Forum and their documentation, I successfully installed my Blue Ox baseplates without any issues. I won't re-document this since it's already addressed well.

I also recently ordered from Amazon:
Roof cross bars from Rage Powersports
Draw-Tite 59404 Roof Rack

So, I started out mounting the cross rails and marked them down to cut them so they didn't hang over the vehicle edges. Cutting was simple and I just placed a pilot hole to drop the screw in for the end caps.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

I then took the rack and did a pre-mount test fit. I did take the roof rack and put 4 coats of bedliner on it. Once it was dried, I mounted the rack face plate.

Here's a couple of thoughts:
1) the rubber seals that go over the two rack pieces is very nice to have but a bear to get out of the way when you are putting the set screws in place. I figured out that if roll them up it can be done.
2) careful putting the screws in place on the plastic face plate. Those can be overtightened and snap it. I used a low setting on my drill to ensure I didn't crack it.

Mounting went just fine and lined up nicely. No issues with opening my sunroof (see picture).

Again, thank you to others for their write ups that helped make my effort easier.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

I drove around the block and noticed noise with the sunroof wide open but much less when the sunroof was tilted up. I suspect that there would be noise but hey, it's a brick on top and should expect that.

Hopefully some of these pictures and information can assist others. Next up, my RRO Steprails that should be here in about 3 weeks. I will try and update this thread with that install as well since it will be a self install.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently had the flat tow TSB completed and thought I would include the pictures of what I ended up with from that work.

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Regularly scheduled for 1.5 hours but ended up more like 3 hours. At least Mr. Greasy fingers didn't climb in like last time I was at the dealership.

More pictures are coming in the next couples as I complete my Aussie ARB lift.

·
Registered
601 Posts

So, I started out mounting the cross rails and marked them down to cut them so they didn't hang over the vehicle edges. Cutting was simple and I just placed a pilot hole to drop the screw in for the end caps.

Well thank you very much... now I have another to-do on the list. I recently got the same cross bars and that trim down is a great idea! Appreciate the nice write up and pics!

Reactions: jpoutlaw

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thank you very much... now I have another to-do on the list. I recently got the same cross bars and that trim down is a great idea! Appreciate the nice write up and pics!
I have since went to Lowes and picked up some M8 allen head bolts (black) to replace the thumb tensioners that came with the rack. They were like .80 and should make it easier to deter others from thinking about removing it.

Reactions: Warloq

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Nice work. Looks great!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just completed the Aussie lift with the assistance from Wolfgang (on this board) and directions can be found on David_Bakers signature. I won't fully document the details since they are in the instructions and spot on.

The lift took about 3 hours to complete for two noobs and we learned after one side how to do the other side easier. I borrowed coil spring compressor from Oreilly's Auto (just a deposit left and returned). I really like how it turned out and next to another TH, I'm sitting a little higher.

image1.jpg

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Tonight, I installed a Jeep hitch (purchased from Amazon for like $150). it came with it's own hardware but I didn't us it. It looked exactly like what was already in place.

I followed these instructions and it went in like butter. I won't add pictures as there are already enough in the write up. Easy to do and minimal time. It was probably one of the easiest hitches I ever did. I saved my Cherokee cover, modified it to fit the hitch as well and looks very clean.

I did order wiring on Amazon as well that I will tackle this weekend. Instead of running the power for the system back to the battery, I intend on running it to the socket in the trunk. My hauling needs are minimal and won't be using lights often.

Reactions: Mikey Swift

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RRO Install

So this installment will be around getting my RRO step rails attached with the covers. I will attempt to provide pictures and input along the way that hopefully will be helpful for others as they attempt an install.

All the welds look great, powder coating looks as I would expect to (from other powder coating jobs) and the covers look good. They were very heavy (more than I was expecting).

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

I intend on waiting for a little warmer weather before I start laying on the concrete.... we recently had snow and more weather is coming. If I get impatient, I will be jumping in to this on the weekend.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
RRO Install

Thanks again to @Wolfgang92025 and his talents, we were able to the mount the step rails to his rig and mine today. It took about 3 hours each but we did get faster after the first one.

We went through some new bits but THIS JOB IS POSSIBLE to do yourself. We went through just a couple bits doing both vehicles and really wasn't a problem with new bits, cutting oil, and going slow with the drill.

We had zero issues with the parts and hardware. Everything was accounted for and fitment was right.

Love them on my Jeep!!!

I think Wolfgang said something about being willing to hire out and help install rails for others on the cheap..... Okay, maybe not.

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks again to @Wolfgang92025 and his talents, we were able to the mount the step rails to his rig and mine today. It took about 3 hours each but we did get faster after the first one.

We went through some new bits but THIS JOB IS POSSIBLE to do yourself. We went through just a couple bits doing both vehicles and really wasn't a problem with new bits, cutting oil, and going slow with the drill.

We had zero issues with the parts and hardware. Everything was accounted for and fitment was right.

Love them on my Jeep!!!

I think Wolfgang said something about being willing to hire out and help install rails for others on the cheap..... Okay, maybe not.

View attachment 114281

View attachment 114289

View attachment 114297

View attachment 114305

Lookin' good bro!

·
Super Moderator
4,197 Posts
Looks awesome. Stupid question -- Aussie lift? Aussie KLs have diff suspension?
No, it's a lift that was first installed by a former forum member. It was tested on a few Cherokees in Australia before they created the thread explaining what needed to be done / installed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put Aussie Lift on there as to give them credit for bringing it to the forum.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For anyone following my build or searches for the Rage Powersports cross bars, here's an update.

I wouldn't buy them. They worked fine but the hinge on the clamp that connects to the roof rail started to rust on all four corners after 6 months or so of use. Seems odd as I figure it was aluminum but they developed rust. The plastic end caps were all split on the underside but maybe I tightened them down too hard and the heat split them. Anyway, I found some Whispbar S53 cross bars used locally and mounted those. I like the lower look of the whispbar vs Rage as well.

So for what it's worth.... IMO, don't give in to the lower price deal of the Rage Powersport product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 stupid question

Love them on my Jeep!!!

View attachment 114281

View attachment 114289

View attachment 114297

View attachment 114305

in- channel or tape on deflectors? - stupid Q I know, but they look great

1 - 17 of 17 Posts