2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months, my 2014 Cherokee latitude has been having issues with what I believe would be it’s transmission. The issues are: 1) I’ll be driving and all of a sudden the car will stop moving no matter how hard I accelerate so I have to pull off and restart the car, 2) I will start the car and let it warm up but when I shift into drive or reverse it’ll jerk and make a loud thudding sound almost as if I was rear ended and will not drive and again I have to restart. I’ve seen the recall for transmission software issues and took it to a dealer to get that resolved but it didn’t solve the issue. I’ve called around and been told that getting the car reprogrammed may fix it, otherwise i would need to get a new transmission. Has anyone found any luck getting this fixed without dropping a few thousand to fix?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I have a 2014 TH with just over 100k miles. How many miles do you have?
Do you have AD1 or AD2? Are you getting any check engine codes?
Sometimes a weak battery can cause issues because it messes with the CAN bus(s).
Need to make sure there is no ATF leaking because low ATF level can cause problems.
Hopefully replacing the valve body on the transmission would fix it.
A Jeep dealer will need to do a proper diagnosis to confirm this might work.
They should be able to use their scan tool to figure it out.
If you have 4WD it could be the PTU but I doubt it.
Was the shifter bezel and harness ever replaced? If TSB 08-054-18 REV A was done then you have the new shifter.
If not, it is possible but not likely that, the shifter is causing the problem.
Refer to this Post for a complete list of Recalls and TSBs: 2014 latitude

Contact JeepCares on this Forum and see if they can improve your Jeep dealer relationship.
Ask if there is a STAR case for transmission issues.
FCA has had 7 years to figure out their transmission problems so there should be a STAR case by now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the past few months, my 2014 Cherokee latitude has been having issues with what I believe would be it’s transmission. The issues are: 1) I’ll be driving and all of a sudden the car will stop moving no matter how hard I accelerate so I have to pull off and restart the car, 2) I will start the car and let it warm up but when I shift into drive or reverse it’ll jerk and make a loud thudding sound almost as if I was rear ended and will not drive and again I have to restart. I’ve seen the recall for transmission software issues and took it to a dealer to get that resolved but it didn’t solve the issue. I’ve called around and been told that getting the car reprogrammed may fix it, otherwise i would need to get a new transmission. Has anyone found any luck getting this fixed without dropping a few thousand to fix?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just know that you are not the only one dealing with this problem. I have the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L and I am having similar problems. I have appointment set up with the dealership this week and it will be interesting to see what they say about it.

I have always been skeptic about buying dodge, jeep, etc... because they been known to have transmission problems. After my 3rd purchase of one I am getting transmission problems. I am glad that I am leasing this vehicle and I will definitely not be getting into another lease with dodge, jeep, etc.. because of their transmission problems they have been having problems with for many years. Best of luck to you in getting your vehicle fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just know that you are not the only one dealing with this problem. I have the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L and I am having similar problems. I have appointment set up with the dealership this week and it will be interesting to see what they say about it.

I have always been skeptic about buying dodge, jeep, etc... because they been known to have transmission problems. After my 3rd purchase of one I am getting transmission problems. I am glad that I am leasing this vehicle and I will definitely not be getting into another lease with dodge, jeep, etc.. because of their transmission problems they have been having problems with for many years. Best of luck to you in getting your vehicle fix.
Transmission stabilizer mount fixed our 2014 transmission issues after years of frustration. New city New shop they instantly knew fixed next day 300. Bucks rides like new

1 - 7 of 7 Posts