2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

See my video here :D

For the record, I do agree. I wish we had the International tail lights here that split the space and allow for the turn signals to be on while the brake lights are on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just reading that post from Jalopnik lol. I'm about to purchase my own Trailhawk and noticed that issue as well. The tail light design is beautiful but the brake lights is a tad too tiny for me.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
There has to be SAE Standard for tail lights that FCA has to meet or they can't sell vehicles in the US.
Probably the only brake light anybody sees is the high mounted brake light. That is why it is required.
I'm not fussy about rear lights.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I frankly don't see anything wrong with the tailight design given the current regulations and standards for lights in US-spec cars. I, too, also read that article earlier, but what I found rather interesting is it would appear that folks over the years have said nothing but good things about the taillights for the Ford Mustang, but when a similar type of design where the brake light, and turn signal occupy the same space for the Cherokee, it's suddenly a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Use your turn signals, that would get the attention of
the person behind you. Problem here is nobody uses
them! LOL

·
Premium Member
179 Posts

For the record, I do agree. I wish we had the International tail lights here that split the space and allow for the turn signals to be on while the brake lights are on.
Cool! 👍

I read that article this morning, and I completely agree. Great as it looks, that arrangement is idiotic. Brake and indicator lights should be separate on any modern car. Always. Period.

I do like the backup lights actually give out a usable amount of light though.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I frankly don't see anything wrong with the tailight design given the current regulations and standards for lights in US-spec cars. I, too, also read that article earlier, but what I found rather interesting is it would appear that folks over the years have said nothing but good things about the taillights for the Ford Mustang, but when a similar type of design where the brake light, and turn signal occupy the same space for the Cherokee, it's suddenly a problem.
Its a problem on a lot of vehicles IMO

Some companies actually remove the amber rear turn signal for North America (VW, BMW etc)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don’t find myself confused or upset behind vehicles that share brake light with turn signal space. I Don’t really see the issue here. Assuming the third light is maintained, it isn’t crucial

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haha I watched that yesterday as well. I agree, the reverse lights take up a big portion of the lights. Perhaps they could have split them out better than using the turn signal and brake light in the same housing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey! You're famous! Nice video. I agree but I think the Cherokee goes a step above a lot of cars... At least the light changes colour to amber when you're signalling and doesn't just blink the red brake light like in the old incandescent bulb days.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey! You're famous! Nice video. I agree but I think the Cherokee goes a step above a lot of cars... At least the light changes colour to amber when you're signalling and doesn't just blink the red brake light like in the old incandescent bulb days.
I must not have payed attention to the newer Cherokees my 2015 does NOT have amber rear turn signals they are RED.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm a firm believer in having separate brake lights and amber hazard/turn signal lights. I wish ALL vehicles had these.
There have been times on the road where I have had to slow or stop due to an accident or hazardous road conditions, and I want as much warning to the people BEHIND me to put down the damn cell phone and DON'T run in to me!
I've always hated the one-piece red brake light/turn signal combo. 🤬

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts

I hope that video is monetized. Lol

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I do wish they would have split up the brake light a little better
in to the hatch area. I could add another LED near the center
of the hatch, like I did on my bike.

Pictures don't do justice. The LED on top is brighter than the
OEM incandescent!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Its a problem on a lot of vehicles IMO

Some companies actually remove the amber rear turn signal for North America (VW, BMW etc)
True. And admittedly, I prefer to have amber turn signals on both the front, AND rear of cars. I used to be all for red turn signals for taillights, but nowadays I think it should be mandated that amber turn signals are required on all four corners of new cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
True. And admittedly, I prefer to have amber turn signals on both the front, AND rear of cars. I used to be all for red turn signals for taillights, but nowadays I think it should be mandated that amber turn signals are required on all four corners of new cars.
I'm a HUGE fan of amber turn signals too. I don't know why NTHS or whoever it is that regulates that stuff ever let manufacturers to go to all red.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of amber turn signals too. I don't know why NTHS or whoever it is that regulates that stuff ever let manufacturers to go to all red.
I wonder if it's the manufacturers themselves who have lobbied to keep it that way. Why? It's probably cheaper to manufacture a taillight without amber signals. I know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but remember that there exist a gas station lobby in New Jersey to keep you from pumping your own gas, despite almost all other states do allow you.

And don't forget the dealer lobby who has prevented Tesla from selling directly to customers in some states (also incredibly stupid).

To sum up: Politics is my guess.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
I wonder if it's the manufacturers themselves who have lobbied to keep it that way. Why? It's probably cheaper to manufacture a taillight without amber signals. I know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but remember that there exist a gas station lobby in New Jersey to keep you from pumping your own gas, despite almost all other states do allow you.

And don't forget the dealer lobby who has prevented Tesla from selling directly to customers in some states (also incredibly stupid).

To sum up: Politics is my guess.
Kinda like the huge vacuum on headlight legislation. Standards were supposed to be updated decades ago, but lobbies have been able to block everything. So Europeans can get adaptive LED lighting systems, but we (North America) can't. And one thing that is a fast increasing problem : lack of legislation regarding LED headlights : they are now more powerful than ever, more and more vehicles have them, yet they don't require levelling like HIDs and we now see systems with 4 low beam sources (Ford trucks and some VWs come to mind), which are highly confusing and annoying. I drive on a dark stretch of road to get to town and back, so I'm well aware of which LED headlights are poorly designed and/or poorly aimed from the factory. The high lumen count is one thing, the light color is another... LEDs being 6500K+ equivalent, making them even more annoying.
We need updated and intelligent legistlation, for the front and the back...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Kinda like the huge vacuum on headlight legislation. Standards were supposed to be updated decades ago, but lobbies have been able to block everything. So Europeans can get adaptive LED lighting systems, but we (North America) can't. And one thing that is a fast increasing problem : lack of legislation regarding LED headlights : they are now more powerful than ever, more and more vehicles have them, yet they don't require levelling like HIDs and we now see systems with 4 low beam sources (Ford trucks and some VWs come to mind), which are highly confusing and annoying. I drive on a dark stretch of road to get to town and back, so I'm well aware of which LED headlights are poorly designed and/or poorly aimed from the factory. The high lumen count is one thing, the light color is another... LEDs being 6500K+ equivalent, making them even more annoying.
We need updated and intelligent legistlation, for the front and the back...
Pretty much. As a starting point at least, headlights are now being tested for overall safety, and since you brought up Trucks, I believe nearly all of them when the testing first started had bad headlights. From what I remember, the Honda Ridgeline at the time was the only truck that had good headlights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts