2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello KL'rs.

2015 KL TH, V6, 2" MFC lift, 32" KO2's

I just finished the winch install on the Cherokee. And this morning I hear a quite audible rhythmic grinding sound coming from the rear.

The noise occurs from 5-20 mph only when I'm on the gas. It definitely sounds rotational. Does not occur while coasting.
Putting the Jeep in Sport mode does not eliminate the noise.
Above 20 mph there is no sound. The Jeep drives completely fine regardless of the noise.

I'm thinking driveshaft... It always had a small barely audible squeak/grind/noise that was audible when driving down alleys or tight streets. Thinking the rear tire carrier and the winch added enough weight to stress the wear even more.

I have an appointment with a shop nearby and I've got an aftermarket warranty with 5k miles left on it...lets see how much we can get covered :cool:

Thoughts?

Reactions: N55RedJeep

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Its bearings in the driveshaft or the PTU or could be the RDM (rear diff)

Few ways to test.

1. Pull the F10 PTU fuse if the noise goes away its PTU or Driveshaft.

2. Shift to 4-low and drive slowly if the sound is amplified and is much louder its most likely the driveshaft, but could be the PTU as well.

The reason its not making noise above 20mph is the awd system is likely changing to FWD mode meaning the PTU/RDM/Driveshaft stops spinning.

Another way to test it out, once the noise goes away, put the vehicle in ERS mode or push the esp button, that engages the awd system and should make the sound come back.

I had my driveshaft replaced a few years ago on my 2016

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its bearings in the driveshaft or the PTU or could be the RDM (rear diff)

Few ways to test.

1. Pull the F10 PTU fuse if the noise goes away its PTU or Driveshaft.

2. Shift to 4-low and drive slowly if the sound is amplified and is much louder its most likely the driveshaft, but could be the PTU as well.

The reason its not making noise above 20mph is the awd system is likely changing to FWD mode meaning the PTU/RDM/Driveshaft stops spinning.

Another way to test it out, once the noise goes away, put the vehicle in ERS mode or push the esp button, that engages the awd system and should make the sound come back.

I had my driveshaft replaced a few years ago on my 2016

Thanks for the reply Tyler, that is troubling...Not a good time to present itself as I'm driving from Denver to San Antonio for thanksgiving. Better at home than on the highway thought I suppose.
Just dropped it off at a local shop this morning that amazingly had availability, most shops are 3 weeks out in denver. Did not get a chance to test 4 low or troubleshoot with the methods you've recommended.

However I could make the noise reappear quite easily by laying on the gas and downshifting,(not using autostick) that was quite prevalent and makes it appear the issue is happening under load.

The issue came up as soon as a cold front rolled into the Denver area(20-30 degrees) and I heard the sound on my first trip nearby to a parts shop for some other stuff. Reallyyyy crossing my fingers its just the driveshaft...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm wondering if this is related to what we have.. but for us it makes some grinding noise only while doing slow moves like turning around and maneuvering. I unplugged the rear diff and the noise went away but since plugging it back in we have not heard the noise of yet. I'm thinking that the noise only occurs on dry pavement, we now have feet of snow with ice and snow covered roads and no noise. So like Tyler said I'm thinking it's the RDM. I still do not fully understand this rear diff but there is a what looks like a motor attached the the rear diff that must engage the diff under conditions. Sure hope this isn't an expensive fix:cautious:

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
I drove with the driveshaft making noise for months, I wouldn't worry about a failure. Inquire with your local dealer on what the availability of the parts might be, because its totally drivable until it needs to get fixed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove with the driveshaft making noise for months, I wouldn't worry about a failure. Inquire with your local dealer on what the availability of the parts might be, because its totally drivable until it needs to get fixed.
Shop just called and said the noise is coming from the rear diff...I'm not completely sold on that diagnosis yet...

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,479 Posts
Shop just called and said the noise is coming from the rear diff...I'm not completely sold on that diagnosis yet...
Are they blaming the mods yet, and talking about warranty issues??? That quite possibly will be the next conversation. Hopefully it's not...😎

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they blaming the mods yet, and talking about warranty issues??? That quite possibly will be the next conversation. Hopefully it's not...😎
lol no not yet, but it’s at an independent shop right now.
I did make a dealer appt and outright said yes it’s lifted and could you believe it, the service manager said “well, unless it’s pretty spot on caused by whatever modification, it shouldn’t be an issue.”…only dealer within 50 miles that had good ratings!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, got the Jeep back and and took it to a 5 start driveshaft place locally where the main man got under the jeep, pulled and tugged on the DS and after a short test drive said his best guess is the pinion bearing in the rear diff...not the driveshaft.

Any way to isolate the shaft from the rear diff for pin pointing the issue?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Multiple shops have pointed to RDM.
took the F10 fuse out and no more scraping.
would it be a bad idea to drive a nearly 2000 miles road trip like this? Trying to get home for thanksgiving…

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
I drove mine for a very long time, probably 6 months before I was able to get mine in for a driveshaft replacement. Same thing with my PTU I drove it for a long time before I had it replaced. I wouldn't worry about it. If you really were concerned drive it with the F10 fuse out, unless you need the AWD/4x4

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drove mine for a very long time, probably 6 months before I was able to get mine in for a driveshaft replacement. Same thing with my PTU I drove it for a long time before I had it replaced. I wouldn't worry about it. If you really were concerned drive it with the F10 fuse out, unless you need the AWD/4x4
For the driveshaft, yeah I agree with you there.
but with the pinion bearing on a RDM going out, isn’t that a little high risk for it to heat up and possibly lock up? F10 pull is easier…

May just get a rental

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
It won't lock up it will self destruct and blow the RDM apart, but that has also happened without warning to more than one person. It's up to you if you don't need the awd the fuse method works great, just be careful below 20mph or so as full throttle will cook the front tires very easily :)

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
My rear diff over heated last Spring, then started to grind and clunk. However, I was able to shift out of 4x4 and drive the vehicle for another 1300 miles before getting parts to replace the rear diff. So yes, it is possible like Tyler stated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alrighty, thanks guys. Good to know.
At this point the fuse is pulled and the Jeep drives really nice lol.
Maybe I’ll just put off getting the rear fixed till after my trip!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve been waiting since September for a replacement rear end. This will be the 3rd one on my 2017. It’s on backorder and dealer has no idea when it will arrive. I’m lucky to have another car to drive otherwise I’d be angry. Feel for those who don’t have alternative transportation.

Alrighty, thanks guys. Good to know.
At this point the fuse is pulled and the Jeep drives really nice lol.
Maybe I’ll just put off getting the rear fixed till after my trip!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see the part in stock all over in my area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts