2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this little gem on Amazon for fill up after airing down. It was only about 25 bucks with Prime and gets the job done. It plugs right into the cigarette lighter and shuts itself off once the preset PSI is achieved. It won't win any speed contest, but it is small and easy to carry and I have used it multiple times for other things like bike tires and boating innertubes.

Tool Musical instrument accessory Office supplies Font Automotive lighting
Tool Musical instrument accessory Office supplies Font Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
433 Posts
For just topping off occasionally, those do fine, and the auto shutoff is convenient. If you are planning on using it to air back up after airing down, and especially if going to larger tires, those will generally overheat before the tires are back to normal pressure as it generally takes about 10+ minutes per tire if aired down.

Reactions: JohnTH2017

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've just ordered a similar small compressor, but with AC/DC power. I expect to use it at home often for routine pressure top-offs, and I don't want to use the Jeeps' batteries for that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just ordered a similar small compressor, but with AC/DC power. I expect to use it at home often for routine pressure top-offs, and I don't want to use the Jeeps' batteries for that.
A 25 dollar DC unit this size will never replace a true compressor, but this thing is very handy in certain situations. When I camp I often loose pressure due to the cold nights, this tops the tires off in no time. This is easy to carry and will get the job done with patience, you can always run the engine while using it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For just topping off occasionally, those do fine, and the auto shutoff is convenient. If you are planning on using it to air back up after airing down, and especially if going to larger tires, those will generally overheat before the tires are back to normal pressure as it generally takes about 10+ minutes per tire if aired down.
I like this due to the small size. I agree, fully inflating 4 big tires would take an hour due to the how long it takes and the overhearing issue. You could easily go from say 18 PSI to 25 to drive to a gas station or top off later. I dont know about your area, but finding a working air station is getting harder and harder for me. I like being in control, even if its a slow process to fully air up.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
433 Posts
I usually don't need to air down where I drive, but if I did, I would need air before finding a place. I have a cheap one like that for a pinch, but plan to probably go to something like a Viair 88P, which should be just big enough for a decent cost one I go up to a larger tire size. I plan to go to the same size tires I ran on my F250, and it took over an hour to top off (granted they were at higher pressures, but I also didn't take them down as far.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually air down to 18 PSI, not so much for traction as just the feeling the sidewall are less likely to puncture. This will get me to 25 pretty quick. You are correct, the higher the PSI the longer each 1 PSI takes with this. 18 to 25 is fairly quick, but 25 to 32 would take a very long time. It is just for spot use and portability, not a full time solution. For 25 bucks and a tiny amount of space it's invaluable. I actually already helped some fellow campers. They saw me filling my camper tires and asked to borrower it as theirs was low due to the cold night. It always feels nice to help out as others have often helped me over the years.

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about using the jeep battery and drawing it down much.

Example, my Viair 88p clamps right to the battery is rated at 20amps.

So if I used it continuously for 1 hours with the vehicle not running, I would use 20amps. The battery is 75amps it would have absolutely no problems starting the vehicle and recharging after that. If you have a deep cycle battery like I do, then there is no problem at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you need to worry about using the jeep battery and drawing it down much.

So if I used it continuously for 1 hours with the vehicle not running, I would use 20amps. The battery is 75amps it would have absolutely no problems starting the vehicle and recharging after that. If you have a deep cycle battery like I do, then there is no problem at all.
Great info! You cant even run this thing more than 15 minutes anyway, it will ovdr heat.

·
Registered
445 Posts

The battery in our 2018 is old, and the vehicle doesn't accumulate enough driving miles to ensure adequate charging at all times. I'm already at the point of charging the battery with a freestanding charger every two weeks, which I expect to keep up for about another two months before preemptively replacing the battery rather than have it fail in the middle of winter. I would rather not use it to run small appliances in the interim.

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
That sounds like excuses that are avoidable by installing a new battery......again using a small 12v air compressor is such a small power draw. If something drawing 20 amps isn't used for an hour and say 10 minutes, the power draw is tiny. But whatever enjoy limping an old battery along its not like it's been proven that's a super fantastic idea on this forum and elsewhere when it comes to these vehicles. The battery probably gets drained more simply by starting the vehicle than running a tiny 12v compressor for a few minutes

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,954 Posts
The battery in our 2018 is old, and the vehicle doesn't accumulate enough driving miles to ensure adequate charging at all times. I'm already at the point of charging the battery with a freestanding charger every two weeks, which I expect to keep up for about another two months before preemptively replacing the battery rather than have it fail in the middle of winter. I would rather not use it to run small appliances in the interim.
Sounds like it's time for a new X2 Power battery, and you too can kiss battery drama goodbye!!! Available only from your friendly neighborhood Batteries Plus location...LOL...😎

·
Registered
947 Posts
That sounds like excuses that are avoidable by installing a new battery......again using a small 12v air compressor is such a small power draw. If something drawing 20 amps isn't used for an hour and say 10 minutes, the power draw is tiny. But whatever enjoy limping an old battery along its not like it's been proven that's a super fantastic idea on this forum and elsewhere when it comes to these vehicles. The battery probably gets drained more simply by starting the vehicle than running a tiny 12v compressor for a few minutes
Yup, never scrimp on the battery…if it’s getting weak, replace it….it WILL let you down and usually at the most inopportune time possible. (I got lucky when mine failed)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts