2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen ads for these things floating around for some time now and have been curious as to how well (or if) they work, given the mixed reviews. So, I bit the bullet and tried a universal model that is supposed to work with any car that supports CarPlay. I noticed that many are make/model-specific.

I’m happy to report that it works perfectly. I first unpaired my phone from the vehicle Bluetooth. Then, you plug the adapter into the data USB port where you would normally plug your phone in. On the first run, the factory head unit will prompt you to enable the device for CarPlay. Then, you pair your phone to it with Bluetooth, and from that point forward, each time you start your car, it connects to CarPlay automagically.

A few caveats... I have an iPhone X, which I guess is a bit long in the tooth at this point, but it works fine with this adapter. I can’t speak to other iPhone models. It seems slightly slower to change tracks and it doesn’t pair to CarPlay instantly (takes about 20 seconds from the time you start the car), but in just about every other way, it’s perfect.

This is the specific model: Carlinkit 3.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars , Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless Carplay: GPS & Navigation

If you’re an iPhone user and have been disappointed with the infotainment system, I have to say this really makes up for the deficiencies of the Bluetooth system and the limited content browsing on the head unit, amongst other nitpicks.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm waiting on the "Motorola" wireless AA dongle coming out soon.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
632 Posts
I have the AAwireless version. Works great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts