2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have taken a lot footage with GoPro while off roading. It never fell off.

Is your suction mount from GoPro or some off-brand supplier?

I used to use a Nite Ize gear tire to tie the GoPro mount to my front tow hook. If it falls off, it would not be lost.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It's the GoPro mount. I must have not put it on properly, I guess. Problem is that now I will never fully trust it. It's ok, though, I ordered a magnet from Amazon. Should be here by tomorrow. I can tether the mount to it for added confidence.

Where did you mount your suction cup?

·
Registered
389 Posts
hood, front driver side door, top of the jeep.

I attached a few snapshots from my footage.

I am thinking about buying a GoPro jaws clamp mount so that I can mount it to the front tow hook. This setup can even work as a front off road camera when you go over some hard spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
The suction cup mounts have two problems
1) You can lose your go pro
2) There will be vibrations at high speed, and your shots will look fuzzy or worse.'

Put the suction cup on the roof, but tape it very well to the roof rack rail with electrical tape.

Never depend on any articulating joint to remain perfectly stiff at high speeds or over bumps...you have to put chunks of tape acting as wedges in the right spots, wrap things up tight, and pretend you are making a cast around a broken arm....

This solves both problems.

No fancy driving here: Just some easterner (me) taking a rental jeep with street tires into the Mojave to enjoy the scenery : https://youtu.be/f05RpwhE_ng?list=PL4Bht02inaCn9Xo_GQfTADJgSG8m6c8TA

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Even the "big guys" say to use a secondary attachment mechanism: :)
Magnet Mount with RigWheels RigMount High Power Magnetic Camera Mount
RigMount X (4 magnets with up to 200lbs of holding strength)
RigMount X6 (6 magnets with up to 300lbs of holding strength)
RigMount X8 (8 magnets with up to 400lbs of holding strength)
When you get to the uber-mounts, I'd actually be afraid of the mount to the camera being the weak point. Dunno if I'd trust a $3K camera + lens to that setup.
I might have to re-think my new invention from last night, but my cam only weighs very little & also cost only about $100. glued a cam mount on to an old antenna mount. realized the hood is aluminum so had to stick it to the quarter panel. I think this will be strong enough for soft riding on the beach w/ just easy ups & downs

1st test seems ok. didn't fall off over the little sped bump

of course we can still just hold a camera stick out the window ... (video frame)

also recently had a little fun hanging it from a kite

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,345 Posts
I might have to re-think my new invention from last night, but my cam only weighs very little & also cost only about $100. glued a cam mount on to an old antenna mount. realized the hood is aluminum so had to stick it to the quarter panel. I think this will be strong enough for soft riding on the beach w/ just easy ups & downs
View attachment 214539
1st test seems ok. didn't fall off over the little sped bump

of course we can still just hold a camera stick out the window ... (video frame)
View attachment 214540
also recently had a little fun hanging it from a kite
View attachment 214541
View attachment 214542
They make some really good suction cup camera mounts now that you can run the Baja 1000 with, and they won't fall off...😎

21 - 26 of 26 Posts