2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done this? I did today. It was great fun for about 10 minutes and then it fell off the hood on my way home from Best Buy. There was no one behind me and I was almost stopped at a stop sign, so no damage to anything, but it's pretty scary.

I pulled into a parking lot, watched a couple of youtube videos on how to attach, and then tried again. I don't think I attached it incorrectly the first time. It's a pretty simple process. The first time, however, I attached it to the matte hood decal on the TH. I wonder if that surface is not a good idea. The second time, I attached it just to the regular finish part of the hood and it stayed on all the way home.

But now I'm nervous to use it. Hero4 Blacks are expensive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Definitely meant for the finish of a car for suction. Perhaps on the roof with a tether to one of the roof racks. I would hate to lose one myself. At least I would hear it or see it bouncing around.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Suction/vacuum mounts require a good air seal to stay attached. The decal is a relatively rough surface. Glass is ideal, but you still need to watch for contours. Factory paint is pretty good, too, but still not perfect.

I wouldn't trust anything I care about to a suction mount on the outide of the vehicle. Some form of mechanical mount with a backup tether would be my preference.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will make sure I always attach it to the finish part. That was a scary moment when it fell off. Makes for a funny video, though. And a good testament to the ruggedness of the of GoPro case. It's funny when stuff like that happens. This summer I was kayaking and my GoPro went into the river. You can watch it sink down, and then you can see my stepping all around looking for it and narrowly missing it one step before I finally find it. GoPros are so much fun.

The other downside, is that I setup my phone to control it via wifi. Works great. I can preview the video while it's happening; start and stop recordings from my phone, giving me more camera placement freedom. I can also see when it becomes too covered with mud, etc. At least this is my plan, however wifi control, plus video preview streaming = about 30 mins of battery/recording time so far. I don't mind picking up one extra battery and having it charging in my TH while I use the other one, but at this rate, I would need a basket full of batteries. Going to need to figure out how to manage battery life better..

·
Registered
740 Posts
I am thinking about picking up a GoPro also for some adventurous offroading. Can you change the angle of the camera with respect to the mount? If so you could suction it to the windshield and angle the camera in the direction you want.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Sony AS100V that I use when I mountain biking from time to time. If you have a crossbar, you could get a mount for your GoPro (http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/roll-bar-mount/GRBM30.html). Could be a little more secure if you have any more scary moments with your suction mount.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I attach mine up on the cargo rack...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always attach mine to glass, never have I had an issue... I also run a short tether chord usually to

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I always attach mine to glass, never have I had an issue... I also run a short tether chord usually to
Ditto...I have had it mounted a few times on the doors too, but with nothing to tether it too I find myself always looking out for it so putting it in my line of sight just makes me feel better

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Ditto...I have had it mounted a few times on the doors too, but with nothing to tether it too I find myself always looking out for it so putting it in my line of sight just makes me feel better
"Yep! It fell off, alright!" >:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's one good thing about streaming a preview to your dash mounted phone--there is no doubt about when it falls off or gets covered in mud. However, battery life is abysmal while operating that way.

I also bought the wifi wrist control. So I'm thinking only use the phone preview to help with camera placement for best angle, and for periodic checks after a big mud puddle, and use the wifi wristband for sending record commands. I should be able to stretch battery life to about an hour or so that way. I'll probably pick up a dual charger case and two extra batteries this week, I think.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Even the "big guys" say to use a secondary attachment mechanism: :)

http://www.rigwheels.com/product/magnetic-camera-mount/

RigMount X (4 magnets with up to 200lbs of holding strength)
RigMount X6 (6 magnets with up to 300lbs of holding strength)
RigMount X8 (8 magnets with up to 400lbs of holding strength)

When you get to the uber-mounts, I'd actually be afraid of the mount to the camera being the weak point. Dunno if I'd trust a $3K camera + lens to that setup.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Psssshhh. What you really need is this...

·
Registered
675 Posts
You should totally do it. It's only a $60,000+ RED Epic camera mounted to a GSS C520 gyro-stabilized camera platform that starts at $400,000. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You should totally do it. It's only a $60,000+ RED Epic camera mounted to a GSS C520 gyro-stabilized camera platform that starts at $400,000. :laugh:
I've had my eye on Red for at least 3 years. "Sure would be nice, but a) really can't justify it and b) wife would kill me. c) buying the platform would be kill me, grind me up, burn me, pee on the ashes, and then scatter them" :)

Reactions: BizzyB

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have to wonder about tethers. I imagine the labor to repair paint damage caused by a GoPro swinging against it would rapidly exceed the cost of the GoPro.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I wondered about that too, Bill837. So I picked up one of these today at lunch while I was getting my spare batteries and charger. It was on sale for $12.99. It might save a nick or two on the paint job, plus it might make it easier to find in the mud if I ever lose while not tethered. And in cold weather, the insulation should help with battery life a bit while I'm skiing.

http://www.gocase.com/collections/g...oducts/silicon-sleeve-for-gopro-hero4-housing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts