2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle just hit 15,000 miles and since my rotors are "warped" in the front really bad I decided to replace the brake pads while I also do the rotors. I noticed online that you can buy a brake shim kit (6510450AA). Do I need this when replacing my brake pads? I bought some EBC greenstuff 7000 series for the front and EBC 6000 series for the rear. From reading online it sounds like they will brake harder than stock, but produce more dust.

Registered
My vehicle just hit 15,000 miles and since my rotors are "warped" in the front really bad I decided to replace the brake pads while I also do the rotors. I noticed online that you can buy a brake shim kit (6510450AA). Do I need this when replacing my brake pads? I bought some EBC greenstuff 7000 series for the front and EBC 6000 series for the rear. From reading online it sounds like they will brake harder than stock, but produce more dust.
I thought you just put those fancy vented and drilled super brakes on the thing not to long ago???馃槑

Reactions: Leems

Registered
Powerstop has a nice brake kit....

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Thinking about bike dust - I still have the original brakes and they produce virtually no brake dust. Which brake pads should be used then when replacement is due, does anyone have any advice or just go with 'stock'?

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Thinking about bike dust - I still have the original brakes and they produce virtually no brake dust. Which brake pads should be used then when replacement is due, does anyone have any advice or just go with 'stock'?
Should read BRAKE - that's auto spell check for ya.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
I will probably do stock. They work great, and you're right, little to no dust...馃槑

Reactions: rumrunner

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

Registered
When I replaced the rotors and pads on my 2014 7.5 years in the rotors were still fine how did you manage to warp yours in 15000 miles?
He keeps forgetting to retell the story of buying his cherokee used and it was a Press test car, and they beat the snot out of it to test it. He has compared his situation to other posts by people that have bought their Cherokee new and the rotors have warped and fallen apart from rust. This is not the same situation.
My rotors warped and started falling apart from rust at around 8000 miles and I bought mine new, the brake pad slide clips had actually disintegrated.
I鈥檓 amazed at how some people have had no brake problems and others from New have had theirs literally fall apart.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
When I replaced the rotors and pads on my 2014 7.5 years in the rotors were still fine how did you manage to warp yours in 15000 miles?
They were warped at 6000 miles. My car was a pilot vehicle so I can only assume it had something to do with chrysler when they owned it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
But back to the original question, do I need the shim kit?

Registered
He keeps forgetting to retell the story of buying his cherokee used and it was a Press test car, and they beat the snot out of it to test it. He has compared his situation to other posts by people that have bought their Cherokee new and the rotors have warped and fallen apart from rust. This is not the same situation.
My rotors warped and started falling apart from rust at around 8000 miles and I bought mine new, the brake pad slide clips had actually disintegrated.
I鈥檓 amazed at how some people have had no brake problems and others from New have had theirs literally fall apart.
My rotors and calipers still look almost new. No rust at all...馃槑

Registered
That鈥檚 great and it is strange the difference from one to another Cherokee.
I had a 2012 AWD Journey before this , and people in that forum complained about the terrible braking and rotors warping at early mileage, I traded mine at just under 36,000 miles and they were the best Chrysler brakes I ever had , stopped great and still smooth, and they were hardly warn down.

Registered
Last summer/fall my Jeep was in storage and I had rust on the rotors when I started driving it again. (15k total miles) That in itself isn't unusual for 'some' rotors, but what was unusual was that there was so much rust that it took a week's worth of driving for the pads to eliminate the rust and for normal operation to return. I was just about to have the rotors turned by my local shop when they starting working normally again.

Meanwhile, my Infiniti was in storage for the last 6 months and I just started driving it this past weekend. No rust at all on the Hawk slotted rotors that I have on it.

The Dodge Avenger I owned years ago was also really prone to rust after sitting for a while unused. Some rotors just resist rust better....

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Some pads come with shims on them some don鈥檛, they dampen noise from vibrations when the brakes are applied. You can also use Disc Brake Quiet. View attachment 214071
Do I need new brake pad springs? I see there is a spring kit I can buy also.

Registered
Do I need new brake pad springs? I see there is a spring kit I can buy also.
I would say, anything showing rust that can't be cleaned up, and not moving freely should be replaced. Use your best judgment. It's never a good idea to skimp on safety...馃槑

Reactions: osimj
1 - 20 of 25 Posts