2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Hope everyone is hanging in there during these crazy times! Just thought I would "take advantage" of the shelter in place order and do a brake job to my 2016 Cherokee Ltd. I ordered a Stop-Tech F/R kit and have installed rotors, etc.. my question is specifically to the clips (return springs) for the pads and how the pads install with them. The clips are installed on the pad carrier with the correct orientation, ie curve of the spring to the outside to allow room for the rotor. When I try to install the pads into the carrier with the springs, its not clear where the "finger" of the spring is supposed to be. does the tip of the spring finger contact the tab of pad the top of the pad tab? or where? its not apparent to me... I have done several brakes jobs over the years and I'm just not seeing it! The pads are kinda flopping around... BTW, I'm not referring to the little wire spring that attaches directly to the top of the front pads.
Thanks for your help!
BDG

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hopefully you only disassembled one side so you can see what it is supposed to look like on the other side.
I just looked at the Haynes Repair Manual and it gives instructions including lots of pictures.
I don't know if the Haynes Manual answers your question because I don't understand.
It even says where to put the grease.
There is probably a YouTube video.
I don't have a clue as to how to do a brake job.
The search function on this site may provide the answer.
Try this link: Trailhawk front brake pads

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks sanghill… appreciate the quick response. unfortunately, I didn't do just the one side as I presumed it would be obvious how to reassemble. rookie mistake! anyway, I have reviewed many youtube videos on how to install the pads/clips on the Cherokee and its really not clear. the pads always seem to slip right into position! The link you included outlines every part pretty well, but doesn't show how they are put together... oh well.

The search continues... any other thoughts???? it can't be that difficult!!!! Thanks so much... BDG

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I tried, sleep on it, maybe you will get lucky.
Some of the clips are just brake pad wear indicators and don't hurt anything if not installed?.
Do the clips actually position the pad in the caliper?
If you just don't install the clips the brakes may squeal but they should work. I think it is only the 2 backing plates that reduce brake squeal.
If all else fails let the Jeep dealer do it. I know, it is embarrassing, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
I have finally given up on doing repairs and let the dealer do it. My Jeep dealer is very happy to take my money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts