2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question here. The factory rails are rated for 150lbs. Wondering if it’s the rails themselves that are rated for 150 or the roof mounting spots that are. The gobi rack I’ve been looking at is rated for 300lbs and replaces the factory rails. Would that increase my potential weight up there while driving or would it still be 150 due to how they attach to where the old rails were.

·
Registered
838 Posts
To my knowledge, the Gobi racks themselves are what is rated for 300lbs, or whatever the number is. The OEM rails themselves are what is rated for 150lbs, not the attachment points themselves. My best guess it has more to do with the type of material used for the rails hence why the OEM ones have a smaller rating. They are made of mostly plastic after all, compared to the Gobi racks which I believe are made of steel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my knowledge, the Gobi racks themselves are what is rated for 300lbs, or whatever the number is. The OEM rails themselves are what is rated for 150lbs, not the attachment points themselves. My best guess it has more to do with the type of material used for the rails hence why the OEM ones have a smaller rating. They are made of mostly plastic after all, compared to the Gobi racks which I believe are made of steel.
exactly what I expected and was hoping for. Thanks for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts