2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep offers the Cherokee Altitude, which is a blacked-out special edition of the Latitude Plus, and the High Altitude, which is a blacked-out (or more precisely, grayed-out) special edition of the Limited. And the Cherokee Upland is a blacked-out version of the Latitude, with Trailhawk-style looks as well. Clearly, the higher up you travel, the darker everything gets. :)

Well, the blacked-out version of the GMC Terrain, which for 2019 was simply called the "Black Edition," is being rebranded as the "Elevation Edition" for the 2020 MY.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Talk about ripping off...have you seen the new RAV4? In certain trims, I can't almost distinguish them from a Cherokee; from the profile, they are nearly identical. Some even have the black decal on the hood as-well-as the black fender trim.

They say that the imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...guess we should be flattered :)

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talk about ripping off...have you seen the new RAV4?
The RAV4 is also like the Compass in the sense that a big 4-cylinder is the only engine you can buy. :) (Not counting the hybrid.) And it has the two-color scheme with the roof.

·
Super Moderator
7,333 Posts
When I saw the RAV4 had squared off wheel arches, I knew it was going to look a lot like the Cherokee....as mentioned...flattery.

·
Registered
835 Posts
2019 Terrain Black Edition? So, GMC ripped off Honda with the Black Edition Ridgeline then.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2019 Terrain Black Edition? So, GMC ripped off Honda with the Black Edition Ridgeline then.
That could be true too, but the blacked-out fad swept the entire industry. It's hard to blame a maker for referring to a black edition as "black." You can't trademark that. But I can't think of any reason to connect black with "Elevation" except for the fact that Jeep got there first with its limited-edition names. I wouldn't be surprised if a customer went into a GMC dealership and demanded, "Gimme the Altitude version. Love that blacked-out look!"
"Er, you mean the Elevation edition?"
"Yeah, that's what I said!"

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
Jeep offers the Cherokee Altitude, which is a blacked-out special edition of the Latitude Plus, and the High Altitude, which is a blacked-out (or more precisely, grayed-out) special edition of the Limited. And the Cherokee Upland is a blacked-out version of the Latitude, with Trailhawk-style looks as well. Clearly, the higher up you travel, the darker everything gets. :)

Well, the blacked-out version of the GMC Terrain, which for 2019 was simply called the "Black Edition," is being rebranded as the "Elevation Edition" for the 2020 MY.
Chevy/GMC has had a "Black Edition" for a few years. As early as 2014, which means it was out before as the Altitude Edition.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Either way, crappy 4 cyl only option for the GMC/Chevy, the Equinox has a blacked out version too, GM can't design a 4 cyl that doesn't burn more oil than a diesel, just like the Toyota RAV4 faux "Adventure" model, they are copying Jeep.

Flattery can't say it is good or bad as it shows that the auto manufacturers can't come up with a good idea and copy everything.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chevy/GMC has had a "Black Edition" for a few years. As early as 2014, which means it was out before as the Altitude Edition.
That's not the point. See post #6. It's not a problem that it's black. Changing the name to "Elevation" is the issue. Why did GMC do that?

·
Registered
483 Posts
<snip> But I can't think of any reason to connect black with "Elevation" except for the fact that Jeep got there first with its limited-edition names. I wouldn't be surprised if a customer went into a GMC dealership and demanded, "Gimme the Altitude version. </snip>
Little known fact about Jeep Cherokee trim levels...

Jeep Cherokee, any edition, besides the following: Can only be sold 0-2000 feet above sea level
Jeep Cherokee Altitude: Can only be sold 2000-6000 feet above sea level
Jeep Cherokee Elevation: Can old be sold 6000+ feet above sea level

(ok, ok, completely made up)
:wink::grin:

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
Ok, someone tell me why Altitude or even Elevation for blacked out editions ? Call them "Attitude", heh.

Elevation/Altitude : would make more sense for turbo/supercharged editions, no ?

"Elevation" sounds like it has a lift, haha.

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
That's not the point. See post #6. It's not a problem that it's black. Changing the name to "Elevation" is the issue. Why did GMC do that?

They words aren't synonyms. They mean two different things. Similar, but different.

I'd imagine most companies are probably trying to get away from "sensitive" words, especially when they related to race, gender, sex, age, etc. We have a very sensitive/aware social climate right now and it only makes sense to avoid becoming the next meme or twitter hashtag.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, someone tell me why Altitude or even Elevation for blacked out editions ? Call them "Attitude", heh.
That is actually part of the reason in Jeep's case. The branding strategy is fairly clear: "Altitude" is similar to "Latitude" (remember that the Altitude trim is based on the Latitude Plus) in that it has three syllables, ends in "-tude," and vaguely relates to geography. It's a Jeep-like name. Plus, it sounds like "attitude," and a major selling point of a blacked-out vehicle is to show off the owner's "attitude." Thus, "Altitude" is a bit of a pun as well. It works perfectly for Jeep. "High Altitude" and "Upland" follow along in the same series. Jeep's branding is connecting these terms for high places with the blacked-out or grayed-out look.

So then GMC comes along and changes its "Black Edition" Terrain to the "Elevation Edition." Why? Because GMC is relying on the connection that Jeep already created! Otherwise, there would be no reason to refer to the concept of elevation, which has nothing to do with a blacked-out vehicle. GMC is simply borrowing a branding concept that Jeep had.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
That is actually part of the reason in Jeep's case. The branding strategy is fairly clear: "Altitude" is similar to "Latitude" (remember that the Altitude trim is based on the Latitude Plus) in that it has three syllables, ends in "-tude," and vaguely relates to geography. It's a Jeep-like name. Plus, it sounds like "attitude," and a major selling point of a blacked-out vehicle is to show off the owner's "attitude." Thus, "Altitude" is a bit of a pun as well. It works perfectly for Jeep. "High Altitude" and "Upland" follow along in the same series. Jeep's branding is connecting these terms for high places with the blacked-out or grayed-out look.

So then GMC comes along and changes its "Black Edition" Terrain to the "Elevation Edition." Why? Because GMC is relying on the connection that Jeep already created! Otherwise, there would be no reason to refer to the concept of elevation, which has nothing to do with a blacked-out vehicle. GMC is simply borrowing a branding concept that Jeep had.

Either way, Jeep is great, the rest are bad poseurs!!! :grin:

·
Registered
483 Posts

Very well-reasoned. :) But I think my explanation was funnier. :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Little known fact about Jeep Cherokee trim levels...

Jeep Cherokee, any edition, besides the following: Can only be sold 0-2000 feet above sea level
Jeep Cherokee Altitude: Can only be sold 2000-6000 feet above sea level
Jeep Cherokee Elevation: Can old be sold 6000+ feet above sea level

(ok, ok, completely made up)
:wink::grin:
You joke, but remember that GMC has the Denali, which is the highest summit in the United States.

And then you have Hyundai with the Palisade (which is a model, not a trim level), The Grand Cherokee Summit (in reference to Summit Peak I believe), Colorado ZR2 Bison (possible reference to Bison Peak), etc.

>:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
You joke, but remember that GMC has the Denali, which is the highest summit in the United States.

And then you have Hyundai with the Palisade (which is a model, not a trim level), The Grand Cherokee Summit (in reference to Summit Peak I believe), Colorado ZR2 Bison (possible reference to Bison Peak), etc.

>:D
And then again, Ford had the Everest, which is the highest summit in the world... >:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts