2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When trying to pump gas the gas pump at the stations keep shutting off I have to fill the tank extremely slow .. I'm guessing the tank isn't venting properly when filling .. how can I fix this problem

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
When trying to pump gas the gas pump at the stations keep shutting off I have to fill the tank extremely slow .. I'm guessing the tank isn't venting properly when filling .. how can I fix this problem

Thanks in advance
Hi Chris,

I'm afraid it is not an easy fix... We've heard from many other KL owners who have had this happen, and the problem is very likely with the EVAP system, due to overfilling the gas tank which pushes gas into the EVAP circuit and then prevents gas from flowing into the filler tube.

The KL is very sensitive to overfilling... so we must stop at the first *click* of the pistol, no topping off, ever.

So... is your KL still covered by the 3/36 basic warranty ? If so, the repairs will be covered. They may have to replace the gas tank (I forget the specifics..).

·
Registered
10,722 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes we had that problem a year ago and they decided to replace the tank. Now almost a year later it has happened again, took it in to service and they replaced a part and they filled it with gas and said it was fixed. A few days later after we were able to drive it awhile we were at 3/4 of a tank and had a trip planed so we decided to fill the tank and the same problem again, we tried and the mechanic tried and again not working. Right now it is in service and they have opened a report to have the engineers who built it help find out how to fix the problem. Glad to know we are not the only ones. We hope they find the answer soon.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I also responded in the other thread, but this is now happening with my 2014 Cherokee. I always stop filling at the first click, so this is not user error and I have not had a problem until now (45K miles). I will be taking the Jeep in tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Jeep Cheerokee Trailhawk with the same issue. Brought it back twice. First they swapped out the sensor. Then the gas tank. Last night I was at the gas station and it clicked off twice before it was full.They seem to have a design issue with these tanks and should do a major recall.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Except that most owners don’t have an issue with their tanks. A “major recall” would make no sense. This shouldn’t happen of course, fortunately it seems to be rare.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes we had that problem a year ago and they decided to replace the tank. Now almost a year later it has happened again, took it in to service and they replaced a part and they filled it with gas and said it was fixed. A few days later after we were able to drive it awhile we were at 3/4 of a tank and had a trip planed so we decided to fill the tank and the same problem again, we tried and the mechanic tried and again not working. Right now it is in service and they have opened a report to have the engineers who built it help find out how to fix the problem. Glad to know we are not the only ones. We hope they find the answer soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Jeep Cheerokee Trailhawk with the same issue. Brought it back twice. First they swapped out the sensor. Then the gas tank. Last night I was at the gas station and it clicked off twice before it was full.They seem to have a design issue with these tanks and should do a major recall.
I agree. This just happened to me today (01.30.21), and on a fill up attempt last month. I have an appointment with my Jeep dealership on Thu. (02.04.21). They told me that people have had this issue, but handle each vehicle differently. I will reply on the outcome of my visit. Hopefully it won't be an expensive fix. There should be a recall since I've seen many people online have this issue.
- Bradquest

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just to recap, no one should add fuel after the pump shuts off. To do so risks flooding the evap system, henseforth rendering fillups problematic. Lots of owners seem to want to “top off” the tank, this can lead to big problems. A known issue for years, owners still try to “top off” and damage their KLs. Should FCA have stressed this in the owner’s manual? Probably, but the issue is ultimately the owners’ responsibility. Nannies can only go so far....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree. This just happened to me today (01.30.21), and on a fill up attempt last month. I have an appointment with my Jeep dealership on Thu. (02.04.21). They told me that people have had this issue, but handle each vehicle differently. I will reply on the outcome of my visit. Hopefully it won't be an expensive fix. There should be a recall since I've seen many people online have this issue.
- Bradquest
This just happened to me too! It's in the shop right now. The mechanic just called and said he checked all the "easier fixes" and it didn't solve the issue. He will take the tank off tomorrow and check inside the tank. He said worst case scenario is I will need a new tank.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Plan on a new fuel tank. My Jeep dealer has junk fuel tanks all around the trash bins.
Must be a major problem with all FCA vehicles.
Could be the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've always stopped filling at the first click off. Never had a problem for almost 7 years with 2014 Cherokee. Now it shuts off after .2-.3 gallons. Tried multiple pumps at different stations, same problem. There should be a Tech Bulletin for this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So just heard back from my mechanic. I ended up taking it to two places; an independent shop and then to the dealership's service shop because I called them and they said it is probably an easy fix. Much less than what the first mechanic said. They did have to take the tank off and inspect. The mechanic said that I might have overfilled the tank and that overflow filled the lines and then they couldn't empty. They cleaned all the lines and made sure they were clear and they were able to put gas in without an issue. I highly doubt I overfilled because I never do but I will def consider what he says. It is a few hundred dollar fix unfortunately, the labor and time it took to take the tank down. This is the first major issue with my car (aside from recalls) and I was bummed to see so many people had similar issues.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So just heard back from my mechanic. I ended up taking it to two places; an independent shop and then to the dealership's service shop because I called them and they said it is probably an easy fix. Much less than what the first mechanic said. They did have to take the tank off and inspect. The mechanic said that I might have overfilled the tank and that overflow filled the lines and then they couldn't empty. They cleaned all the lines and made sure they were clear and they were able to put gas in without an issue. I highly doubt I overfilled because I never do but I will def consider what he says. It is a few hundred dollar fix unfortunately, the labor and time it took to take the tank down. This is the first major issue with my car (aside from recalls) and I was bummed to see so many people had similar issues.
Just remember when it clicks it is done. DO NOT try to put that little extra in. If it is sitting a $39.99 and you want that little extra to make it $40.00 DONT DO IT, or you could be in the same spot.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
With the KL, if you add gas after the first click you are overfilling. This is a common and often a costly issue. Below are the fueling instructions in the Owners Manual. Should Jeep have made a bigger deal of informing owners about this? Probably.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I've always done a 2nd click, in case the first was a false click.
Also I can feel the 2nd door close when removing the nozzle.
I pull out the nozzle so the 2nd door is still open, wait a few
seconds, and the nozzle always comes out dry. (no drips)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This keeps happening to me since I purchased my 2018 Jeep Latitude. I can’t even put 5 dollars in without it shutting off. I have to do the perfect balance of not all the way down but not too soft. It takes forever to fill my tank and my tank isn’t small. My hands end up cramping. I thought because it was a “newer” vehicle maybe there was some technology that the gas pumps didn’t have yet. My niece just got a 2018 Jeep Compass and it is doing the same thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts