2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
I fallow them out of just curiosity. I bought the Trailhawk with 3.2 V6 (I wanted the V6 not turbo) for offroad ability not MPG, although I figure 18 mpg city and 24 mpg highway(although on long trips I regularly get 26+l) rated is good mileage for capability. I mean the V6 Liberty the Cherokee replaced got 15 city 21 highway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dang, that’s good. I’m averaging like 18 mpg in my 2019 V6 lol. I also track with Fuelly. Simply for curiosity and to see how I’m doing compared to other KL’s.
I get 25 mpg on 100% highway driving, and 13 mpg on 100% city driving. On a typical tank of combined driving, I get about 16mpg. Very bad compared to my previous Prius, but a lot more fun.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Many things go into mpg.
Primary if you keep your speed down to aground 62 mph or less on the highway 30+ is very possible consistently with the V6. Also that is assuming you use your speed control to avoid lead foot syndrome.

As soon as that speed exceeds 62 mph your mpg goes south. At 70 and above your mpg is history and and 30mpg+ is wishful thinking.

Weight, both people and cargo is another big issue with mpg. But that's another thread.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Many things go into mpg.
Primary if you keep your speed down to aground 62 mph or less on the highway 30+ is very possible consistently with the V6. Also that is assuming you use your speed control to avoid lead foot syndrome.

As soon as that speed exceeds 62 mph your mpg goes south. At 70 and above your mpg is history and and 30mpg+ is wishful thinking.

Weight, both people and cargo is another big issue with mpg. But that's another thread.
I can hit about 26 mpg doing 65 to 75 in my V6. I would be road kill doing 60 in a 70 when everyone drives 5 over the limit anyway.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Some folks do dwell on this topic a bit more than needed, but then again, some of these Jeeps have never gotten the mileage that was advertised.

I will preference that my Jeep was an impulse buy in 2014 and I have no regrets. I'd buy it again. BUT I spent the first 8 months of ownership getting less than 10mpg. Each trip to the dealer came back with a NO TROUBLE FOUND and it takes a while for the computer to learn your driving style. BS, I had other vehicles with adaptive learning and they picked up in days/weeks, not months.

Around 17K miles, I started seeing mileage closer to 20. My best was always on road trips through the mountains where I did see 30mpg. When all was said, my local driving was hovering around 19 and highways 26. Though not what advertised numbers from the Maroney Label, but still better than the car I traded on it so I was happy. Even those numbers have dropped over the past 2 years.

What I don't like, but understand is when this vehicle operates in full time 4WD the millage plummets. So what, you say, its a 4x4. The part of this Jeep I don't like is when the temp drops to 40 degrees, it goes from a front wheel drive vehicle that uses four wheel drive as needed to a full time four wheel drive vehicle. I live in Chicago. It seems, lately that the majority of the year is below 40 degrees. With that, since early October, I have been averaging 14-16 locally.

Others have mentioned I could pull a fuse to force front wheel drive .. but I don't want to have to pop the hood and replace a fuse each time I hit a situation where 4x4 or AWD would be warranted. IMO, the Jeep should not be programmed to lock in 4WD, simply switch as needed the same as it does in warmer weather.

I suppose if/when I ever move South, this will become a non-issue for me as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What I don't like, but understand is when this vehicle operates in full time 4WD the millage plummets. So what, you say, its a 4x4. The part of this Jeep I don't like is when the temp drops to 40 degrees, it goes from a front wheel drive vehicle that uses four wheel drive as needed to a full time four wheel drive vehicle. I live in Chicago. It seems, lately that the majority of the year is below 40 degrees. With that, since early October, I have been averaging 14-16 locally.
The sad thing is they could easily add settings to the UConnect for FWD only operation and/or maybe a selection that switches "only on wheel spin" is detected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't buy Jeeps for fuel mileage but the 3.2L is not bad on fuel. I'm averaging 20.8mpg in mixed driving on a lifted 2019 Trailhawk Elite with 2" lift and P265/70/17 BFG KO2's about 31.6" tires. Smaller fuel tank makes for more frequent fill ups required but also reduces weight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The part of this Jeep I don't like is when the temp drops to 40 degrees, it goes from a front wheel drive vehicle that uses four wheel drive as needed to a full time four wheel drive vehicle.
This got me thinking, I wonder how simple their programming is for temperature activation. If they only use the outside temp sensor for rear driveshaft activation and *hopefully* not the IAT, then it would be possible to mildly heat the sensor (> 40f) to deactivate it. Of course you'd lose the temp reading on your display but you would gain mpg as a trade off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
....and if the sensor ever goes bad (which sensors often do) you'll be in 4 wheel drive ALL the time or perhaps NEVER....depends how the sensor fails. What a stupid system!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m now on my 4thtank of gas with my Cherokee Trailhawk and when I read the manual I scoffed at where it mentioned how the vehicle will sense my driving and adjust to me. First tank got 21mpg. 2nd got 23 and the 3rd was 25. 100 miles into this tank and it’s currently better than 27. I’m a mix of 75% highway 25% city driving and have the 2.0 Turbo. I do use TopTier gas only and my stations don’t carry the recommended 91 octane so I’ve only put 93 octane in it. That first tank where I averaged 21mpg was the free dealership full tank of gas so I wish I knew what they used but I would bet it was standard 87 octane. Learning about TopTier gas has been an interesting subject that every gas station manager I’ve talked to has had no idea what I’m talking about. I have yet to actually see a TopTier sicker on a pump like I’m supposed to but the brands I’m using are all national brands that are supposed to be TopTier nationwide. Every manager I ask tells me it refers to the top octane fuel but that’s incorrect. It actually refers to the amount of detergent in the fuel. The stations I’ve used to proudly boast of their trademark additive/detergent so I’m fairly certain I’m getting TopTier fuel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had my Cherokee TH for about 4 years now. My average city mileage is a little worse than expected (~15MPG) and my highway is actually much better than expected (~25MPG). Given it has a V6, fully loaded off road features, a full size spare and uses regular gasoline I am very pleased with its economy.

Would definitely like Jeep to find a way to squeeze in a couple more gallons in the fuel tank for the next generation though. I want 300+ miles per tank before refueling in city driving.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I’m now on my 4thtank of gas with my Cherokee Trailhawk and when I read the manual I scoffed at where it mentioned how the vehicle will sense my driving and adjust to me. First tank got 21mpg. 2nd got 23 and the 3rd was 25. 100 miles into this tank and it’s currently better than 27. I’m a mix of 75% highway 25% city driving and have the 2.0 Turbo. I do use TopTier gas only and my stations don’t carry the recommended 91 octane so I’ve only put 93 octane in it. That first tank where I averaged 21mpg was the free dealership full tank of gas so I wish I knew what they used but I would bet it was standard 87 octane. Learning about TopTier gas has been an interesting subject that every gas station manager I’ve talked to has had no idea what I’m talking about. I have yet to actually see a TopTier sicker on a pump like I’m supposed to but the brands I’m using are all national brands that are supposed to be TopTier nationwide. Every manager I ask tells me it refers to the top octane fuel but that’s incorrect. It actually refers to the amount of detergent in the fuel. The stations I’ve used to proudly boast of their trademark additive/detergent so I’m fairly certain I’m getting TopTier fuel.
It should be a small sticker on the pump, I only put Top Tier gas in my Cherokee, I mostly put in shell, unless I can't find one then my second choice is Chevron or another top Tier brand. I have the 3.2 so I put in the required 87 Octane. I wish I had a picture but the top tier sticker is small and I only found it because I got board one day and was just checking out the pump to see what was on it. I know when I had my first car I started off putting non top tier no name and supper market gas in it, and it developed periodic stalling and hesitation issues (1990 2.5 3 speed auto Plymouth Sundance it was a throttle body fuel injected car) So after that I switched to Shell, the stalling and hesitation cleared up and after a few tanks that MPG went up too, ever since I have only put Shell in my tank.

I'm curious what do you average in the 2.0 in a mostly city driving mix? Do you get the advertised MPG? I know I get advertised in my 3.2 in the Trailhawk of 18mpg (which I think is very good for a V6 4x4 with its capability)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 2.0T and almost always run Top Tier 91 octane, generally from Costco. I was doing a lot of highway driving, but the last few months are all in town. I'm showing over 26 mpg average (computer, not hand calc'd) so I can't complain. Back in 2003, my Wrangler (in Bellingham, WA) averaged about 12 mpg. These days, I do a lot of trips from Tucson to Show Low, AZ and have put 16,000 miles on it in ten months.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like the rest of you here, I am not made of money. Who is, right? But.....if my #1 concern was gas milage, I would not have bought a Jeep, I would not still have my FX/4. My #1 concern is getting around in the Vermont winter if I need a trip to the VA or whatever. You start cancelling appointments due to bad weather or threat of bad weather and nothing gets done it seems. There is a price to pay for that choice. I guess this is easy for me to say because I only drive 12K a year across 3 rigs so gas is a small item in my budget.

Cheers, mates.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I won't lie, I really lean on the gas pedal on my 3.2, because it's a hoot, and I don't check the gas mileage. But it's no Prius, that's for sure. I still LOVE it! :love:

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Kind of cool. Sunday was the first time I really stretched it's
legs on the highway, and was blown away! I can get about
80-100 mile more per tank! Usually fill up around 260-270'sh
in town/city. On the ride to Asheville I showed 260 with 100 miles
to go! Then again coasting down hills in 9th probably helps,
plus doing a little Hypermiling when nobody was behind me. LOL
Still I was shocked at the difference...

41 - 57 of 57 Posts