2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've found the vehicle MPG can be easily gamed. If you stomp on it for the first 1/2 tank, then baby it for the next 1/4 or so, you'll get really good mileage on your EVIC, but it will be quite bad for real. The same goes the other way - baby it for 1/2 tank, then get on it until you fill up, the EVIC will read a bit low. That's resetting the MPG at every fillup. Over time it might average out a bit closer.

On average, without playing games, my EVIC reads about 2.5 MPG better than reality. That's with a 2.1 MPG for SD. That means ~85% (or more) of the EVIC readings are too high. That's a wide variance, so really all I can say is the EVIC is optimistic. ...by a lot. So when I see someone post a 30+ MPG EVIC snapshot, I just smile.
As I said earlier, I am averaging 30+ by the app on my iphone......still smiling ?

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Very happy with the mileage with my 18 KL 3.2 V6, it gets almost twice the mileage of my previous 96 ZJ 5.2 V8.

Yeah I went from a Commander, to a 2019 TH. I'm very happy
with the MPG, and the performance! Better than the sticker says for MPG!

·
Registered
598 Posts
With the price of gasoline now days it behooves one to do whatever is necessary to achieve the best gas mileage the Jeep is capable of. I never expected to get the gas mileage of a Prius or other cars but I do want to get the best mileage possible with my setup.
Guess it depends on where you live. Gas is cheap here ($2/gal), so the expense of fuel isn't a big concern. Reliable transportation that will get me practically anywhere is more important.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Guess it depends on where you live. Gas is cheap here ($2/gal), so the expense of fuel isn't a big concern. Reliable transportation that will get me practically anywhere is more important.
I guess that depends on your engine. The turbo requires premium - and that can't be had for $2 - anywhere.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've found the vehicle MPG can be easily gamed. If you stomp on it for the first 1/2 tank, then baby it for the next 1/4 or so, you'll get really good mileage on your EVIC, but it will be quite bad for real. The same goes the other way - baby it for 1/2 tank, then get on it until you fill up, the EVIC will read a bit low. That's resetting the MPG at every fillup. Over time it might average out a bit closer.

On average, without playing games, my EVIC reads about 2.5 MPG better than reality. That's with a 2.1 MPG for SD. That means ~85% (or more) of the EVIC readings are too high. That's a wide variance, so really all I can say is the EVIC is optimistic. ...by a lot. So when I see someone post a 30+ MPG EVIC snapshot, I just smile.
As I said earlier, I am averaging 30+ by the app on my iphone......still smiling ?
Dang, that’s good. I’m averaging like 18 mpg in my 2019 V6 lol. I also track with Fuelly. Simply for curiosity and to see how I’m doing compared to other KL’s.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for. Some do not give a hoot about $$s going into the tank. Some do care about those $$s.

I came from a 2004 Grand Cherokee V8 before my 2014 Cherokee Limited V6 with AD2.
That 2004 V8 was a fantastic Jeep with most options on it. Dependable to the last day and power that would push you into the seat on full acceleration.
I knew when I purchased it the MPG would not be good, though it was better than I expected. I needed a good tow vehicle ( it was fantastic) and a good highway vehicle, which it was unsurpassed at being. No other choice out there in Jeep as the Cherokee was ended in 2001. I had a 2001 Cherokee (off road package) I traded for it with 70k on it. I still miss that 2001.

The primary reason(s) for the trade up or trade down as anyone might see it, was MPG and the full collision mitigation system available as a solo option for the first time. I wanted to improve my mpg from the 19-21 highway and 12 around town I was getting. I also now wanted to use technology in this new Tech package for added safety. It has already delivered on that part.

I was well aware that on the 2014 Cherokee AD2 cost 1 mpg when I ordered it but it was a must have option.
I have no problem getting 19-20 mixed driving and 30+ on the highway only. I have gotten as good as 34 on my normal 300 mile drive to the big city with some no ethanol/low ethanol gas during the ethanol shortage a few years back.
Acceleration/power was a compromise with my 2014 but actually not bad even with my tow.
It rides almost as good as the Grand did BUT is much quieter on the road some of which is the lack of AT tires on the 2014.

But again it was the MPG I was after primarily with this 2014.
I do not hand check any more as the trip computer(s) does a good enough job.
The mpg has been consistent based on time of year and towing ect. I still do change the engine air filter at 10-12k. That is noticeable a bit in the mpg when changed. One of the reasons I will not go 10 years/100k on the spark plugs as per maintenance schedule.
The engine computers will adjust for degraded parts like plugs and filters. That adjustment is reflected in mpg primarily.
So tracking mpg is needed to a point as it is a good indicator of engine health. The problem is mpg will slip very slowly to the point of not being noticeable.

Just an observation................

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Dang, that’s good. I’m averaging like 18 mpg in my 2019 V6 lol. I also track with Fuelly. Simply for curiosity and to see how I’m doing compared to other KL’s.
If that's 100% highway mileage for you, I'd be concerned, but I image that you have mixed driving conditions. I think he was mostly highway driving.

My mainly city MPGs are a little below yours in my V6.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sure! As I said, "So when I see someone post a 30+ MPG EVIC snapshot, I just smile." Post a pic of your EVIC compared to your hand (app) calculations. Give us a clue what kind of driving you do. What period is this averaged for - the life of the car so far or that last road trip to grandma's house? The EPA estimate for highway MPG is 31 for some models. It's entirely possible you are getting that or more. If you post an EVIC snapshot of a single road trip, I'll smile. If you post an EVIC snapshot of the MPG you just got driving down a mountain, I'll smile. Heck, if you post a snapshot of your 30+ MPG over the last 1000 miles (or more) and it matches your EVIC, I'll have a big grin! That's because I'm happy someone actually "walked the walk", so to speak!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sure! As I said, "So when I see someone post a 30+ MPG EVIC snapshot, I just smile." Post a pic of your EVIC compared to your hand (app) calculations. Give us a clue what kind of driving you do. What period is this averaged for - the life of the car so far or that last road trip to grandma's house? The EPA estimate for highway MPG is 31 for some models. It's entirely possible you are getting that or more. If you post an EVIC snapshot of a single road trip, I'll smile. If you post an EVIC snapshot of the MPG you just got driving down a mountain, I'll smile. Heck, if you post a snapshot of your 30+ MPG over the last 1000 miles (or more) and it matches your EVIC, I'll have a big grin! That's because I'm happy someone actually "walked the walk", so to speak!
I have an entire thread detailing the first 10k or so (I honestly dont remember...could be 20k) with pics and app totals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Cherokee Latitude 3.2 gas mileage?

See, the way i see it...if you bought a Cherokee and DON'T care about mpg...you bought the wrong vehicle. Tell me where you can beat the Cherokee mpg with a decent 4x4 system and towing capacity of 4500lb.
I bought a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus 4x4 with the 3.2 six and 9-speed auto three weeks ago, with 16 miles on the odometer and a full tank of gas from the dealer. I filled it up again at 341 miles with 8.389 gallons of regular, which comes out to an amazing 38.741 mpg (figured it out on paper, not the car's onboard computer). Gas gauge said full, too.

Unfortunately, it seems like that was a fluke: I got 20.651 mpg on regular the next fill up, then only 17.681 mpg on regular for last week's fill up. Same commute to work.

I'm going to try 93 octane premium this week, and see if the higher octane improves my mileage (even though the dealer told me the car was filled with regular when I bought it).

So what type of mileage is everyone else getting with their 3.2 sixes? I live in a pretty rural area in Emmaus, PA with lots of narrow, winding roads... is 20 mpg normal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2015 Latitude V6 consistently gets about 21.7 per EVIC, which seems to be a little optimistic compared to manual calculation. This is pretty much suburban driving. On a recent 200 mile trip, I got 28 while pulling a 5x8 trailer. I'm pretty satisfied since my 1998 Cherokee 4.0, Wrangler 4.0 and 2011 Liberty V6 all got about 17.5 by actual calculation in the same environment. While I liked the prior Jeeps, there is no question that the new Cherokee is a quantum leap forward. I used to keep a log of gas consumption but I gave it up. The EVIC is good enough to see if there is anything amiss. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage but the increase is welcome.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus 4x4 with the 3.2 six and 9-speed auto three weeks ago, with 16 miles on the odometer and a full tank of gas from the dealer. I filled it up again at 341 miles with 8.389 gallons of regular, which comes out to an amazing 38.741 mpg (figured it out on paper, not the car's onboard computer). Gas gauge said full, too.
Sad to say, there must have been an error in your data or your calculations somewhere on that occasion. Occam's Razor.

So what type of mileage is everyone else getting with their 3.2 sixes? I live in a pretty rural area in Emmaus, PA with lots of narrow, winding roads... is 20 mpg normal?
We only get about 14 on my wife's 2018, according to the system. It's the perfect storm of low-mileage conditions: no highway driving; mostly short trips; suburban and city routes with stop signs, traffic lights, and jams; drive-through windows; and worst of all, lots and lots of steep hills. Hills and mountains kill your mileage more than anything.

·
Registered
811 Posts

Unfortunately, it seems like that was a fluke: I got 20.651 mpg on regular the next fill up, then only 17.681 mpg on regular for last week's fill up. Same commute to work.

I'm going to try 93 octane premium this week, and see if the higher octane improves my mileage (even though the dealer told me the car was filled with regular when I bought it).

20mpg is probably about right given how hilly, and winding the roads are in PA. In a more flat area such as WI (not as flat as IL though. hehehe), I'll get low 20s as typical, and 24-25mpg if I'm doing all highway doing maybe 65-70mph on average with the cruise control on.

Keep in mind, however, that the time of the year can also have an affect. I don't know if this is particular to 2014-2018 models only, but when the outside temp drops below 40 degrees F, the 4WD system engages all four wheels the entire time, vs when it's warmer, it'll be in FWD mode until the rear wheels are needed. That also will drop your mpg by maybe 1-2mpg depending on your driving style.

The best mpg I ever got for my TH was 26.5mpg, but that was when it was around 95 degrees out in the middle of summer, and my highway speed ranged from 50mph to 75mph.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the price of gasoline now days it behooves one to do whatever is necessary to achieve the best gas mileage the Jeep is capable of. I never expected to get the gas mileage of a Prius or other cars but I do want to get the best mileage possible with my setup.
Nice

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd say that is average. I use the Fuelly app to track mileage, oil changes, repairs, etc. in all of my vehicles. I've been tracking my 19 KL since I drove it off the lot. Currently just over 12,000 miles on the odometer and the average MPG since purchase is 21.2. Probably 80/20 as to city/highway driving. I've spent $1.397.96 on fuel so far.

I drive my Jeep only in the winter months so the majority of that mileage is on winter gas which definitely gives worse MPG than summer gas. That trend has become obvious from tracking the MPG over the years in all my vehicles.

To the OP. Do I really care about my MPG? Not really, as currently I'm gainfully employed and the cost of gasoline is of no concern to me. But I do like using an app like Fuelly to track MPG trends, expenses, repairs, etc. Perhaps it is just the geek in me.

:wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Cherokee isn’t full time 4WD. I’ll keep it in economy mode and switch to manual for a quick acceleration but go back to economy. I’m typically getting 22-23 MPH with the V6. I knew what I was getting into and I’m okay with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tracked my 2016 Latitude V6 (with AD1 and factory tow) during the first year and a half over 16000 miles using the Fuelly app. Estimating about 81% highway and 19% "city" driving, the measured average was 25.2 MPG.

But more impressive were the results of a 6420 mile road trip that took me through 15 states and 1 province last year. Departed on Labor Day 2018 from the Philadelphia area towards western NY, crossed into southern Ontario at the Peace Bridge, then drove across Michigan and boarded the SS Badger ferry that runs from Ludington to Manitowoc, WI. From there, the route west was mostly on expressways to Blanchard, ND (with a stop in the Twin Cities), secondary roads from Blanchard to Minot, and US 2 most of the way west to Glacier NP. Lots of ups and down going south to Kalispell, Bozeman, and Yellowstone, gravel roads though rural Federal land in Idaho and Wyoming, on to north-central Colorado, then over the Loveland Pass to Mt. Evans and Denver before returning via NE, IA, IL, IN, OH and PA mainly on interstates (at or slightly over the posted speed limit) with several urban stops along the way. Based on log entries carefully kept at each fuel stop, average MPG for the entire trip was 27.97, just shy of EPA's 28 MPG highway estimate for the 3.2 liter engine and 4WD.

As others have mentioned, I've observed that the EVIC readout is 1 to 2 MPG optimistic. Here in the northeast we lose about 2 to 3 MPG during the winter months; I guess that's due to the gas formulation and more time spent in 4WD mode. But I find this vehicle as capable in snow and off pavement as the GC Laredo that I owned 20 years ago, while I enjoy 30% better fuel economy and faster acceleration than the ZJ provided. Towing capacity of 4500 lbs compares favorably with the ZJ's 5000 lb rating, and although it has less cargo space, I can fit a twin-size foam mattress pad in the rear, so it serves as my "RV" when camping in the national parks.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts