2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I have a 2015 Cherokee with 3.2L, 35,000 miles and looking to change all filters. Does this car have a fuel filter? Not listed in owners manual and no listing at Rock Auto.

Most likely a "Sock" on the bottom of the fuel pump
located inside the tank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As far as I can tell there is no fuel filter.
Gas stations have clean fuel with no sediment.
Try to dispense fuel from clean fuel cans.
At 70K miles I am ok.
Most "Gas stations have clean fuel with no sediment."

"In August of last year, thousands of drivers in northwest Indiana and southern Illinois faced hefty car repair bills after a national chain sold about 2.1 million gallons of contaminated gasoline that was believed to cause engine problems."
https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/fuel-system/bad-fuel-fact-or-fiction/

Local high $ part of town made the local news a few weeks ago, several Audi's, BMW, etc....shug shug BIG BILLS for Shell.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Yeah. I find it very odd that pretty much since the mid-nineties cars haven't had a an in-like fuel filter. It cost under a buck and is not liable fail. And with 99.9% of fuel bring completely uncontaminated, very unlikely to ever need servicing.

So why not just fit one to save the car day in the very unlikely event that a gas station ends up pumping the last dirty drops in a tank? I don't get it.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
There is a filter, but it's on the bottom of the fuel pump.
AKA: "Sock" filter. It prevents anything from gumming
up the pump. In the old days, pumps were mechanical,
and had a couple of fuel filters before the carb. Symptoms
of a sock filter that is gummed up would be the Jeep cutting
off when below a 1/4 tank of gas.

This came off my 99 XJ.

New

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.