2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the interest of sharing I recently installed a front end skid plate from Frogfab Accessories. Pretty straight forward install that only required a little snipping of the honeycomb grill for the winchmount brackets to go through. The bottom bolts on using the 3 bolts on the front of the oil pan skid plate. Looks great IMO. 1/8th steel.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Registered
In the interest of sharing I recently installed a front end skid plate from Frogfab Accessories. Pretty straight forward install that only required a little snipping of the honeycomb grill for the winchmount brackets to go through. The bottom bolts on using the 3 bolts on the front of the oil pan skid plate. Looks great IMO. 1/8th steel.

I'm digging it!!! Love the shackles too....Thanks for sharing...馃槑

Reactions: UN4GTBL

Registered

What kind of winch would fit in that space? Would it need an entire "bumper" replacement? Definitely interested in getting some Frog Fab accessories south of the boarder here!

Registered
From what I read, but double check warn 8000 only one that fits. They make a bumper guard set up for it which I'm seriously eyeballing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of winch would fit in that space? Would it need an entire "bumper" replacement? Definitely interested in getting some Frog Fab accessories south of the boarder here!
For clarity the skid plate brackets are meant to bolt to a winch mount (sold separately). Sorry I didn't explain that very well.

Registered
Screenshot_20210223-202747_Chrome.jpg

Registered
Mfc? Been bugging him to make me one

Registered
Would I need the winch mount to use this, or could the front skid plate be mounted on it's own? I kinda need this, but do not want a winch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Would I need the winch mount to use this, or could the front skid plate be mounted on it's own? I kinda need this, but do not want a winch.
There's always a way. With a little DIY knowhow you could bolt it to the front bumper crossmember. OR you could attach the 2 top bolts through the honeycomb grill and use some really big washers in behind to sandwich it all together then tighten it down. That would be mainly for show but still more protection than just the plastic that's there now. As long as you aren't slamming into any boulders you would be fine.

Registered
... As long as you aren't slamming into any boulders you would be fine.
Why do you think I need the skid plate? 馃え :LOL:

I have a tear in the plastic under the left-side tow hook from the rock waterfall my group regularly climbs up. A few of the KL's in our Jeep group all have the same mark on the front.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Why do you think I need the skid plate?
Well you should be able to bolt directly to the bumper from underneath or behind or perhaps even where the toe hooks mount. It would require a little DIY mod but wouldn't take much. Adding a couple of sturdy L brackets ought to do it but I'll leave that to others to sort out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so not only is it possible, it's really easy. I haven't done it myself but I had a jeeper buddy over today to look at it and together we came up with a plan. Requires cutting two 1" x 1/8th" slots in the bottom of the bumper crossmember for the skid plate brackets to slide into and 4 heavy duty L brackets to sandwich it together. 4 holes need to be drilled into the bottom of the crossmember for it all to bolt on.
I won't be able to do this myself any time soon so no pictures but maybe I can draw something if you need a visual

Registered
No picture needed, I get what you're talking about. I'll consider it after I get my rock sliders next month. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts