2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always having trouble figuring out where the front of the car is so I'm contemplating having my dealer install the optional front sensors. My question is how do they work? The rear sensors come on when I put the car in reverse then turn off when I go back to drive. Since the car is usually in drive, what happens when you pull up to a car at a light or a stop sign? How do the sensor know you are just driving and not trying to park?

·
Registered
A white 2021 Trailhawk named Stormtrooper
19 Posts
I have the OEM sensors on my 2021 Trailhawk. I like them a lot, though I was nervous about too many unwanted alarms from them at first. I haven’t had the front sensors trigger at stoplights, though I’m sure they would if I,pulled up close enough. They do trigger when pulling into a parking space with a large “bumper” and of course if there is a railing or other object in front of the parking space. I have to make left hand turns into narrow alleys through a tight parking garage on a regular basis, and I really like them there. It has always been kind of an act of faith that my right front corner wouldn’t scrape the right wall as I made a left turn into the alley, but the sensors give me an actual distance cue. I haven’t had problems with the sensors alarming at unexpected or inappropriate times.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have the OEM sensors on my 2019 TH/E. Really, the only "false alarms" I get is when I'm driving through tall (bumper height) grass. A little annoying, but I don't do that often enough to worry about it. Other than that, the alerts seem spot-on - even when I'm out 4-wheeling. ...which, by the way, is the only time I encounter tall grass.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't get many false alarms, although I know exactly where my front corner is. If anything knowing that my complaint is to me they have a bigger threshold for going hard red/to close signal for me. But even when I had my 88 voyager where you could not see the hood let alone the corners I knew exactly where they where. So while I leave the sensors on. Mostly for side proximity which tends to equal "the space is to tight to open the door enough to get out" i never really use it for sencing corners.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I don't get many false alarms, although I know exactly where my front corner is. If anything knowing that my complaint is to me they have a bigger threshold for going hard red/to close signal for me. But even when I had my 88 voyager where you could not see the hood let alone the corners I knew exactly where they where. So while I leave the sensors on. Mostly for side proximity which tends to equal "the space is to tight to open the door enough to get out" i never really use it for sencing corners.
Agreed, that's my complaint too, that they go red, and there's still a foot of space to go lol.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any difference in operation between getting the sensors with the car new, or having the sensors installed by the dealer after the fact? Also, how do the beeps work when getting too close to something? Is it like the rear where the beeps get faster then solid? And is there some kind of light, or only noise? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know nothing of aftermarket sensors, but my OEM sensors work on front and sides just like the rear ones do. There is a tohe that increases in urgency as I get closer, and arcs light up on a God’s eye view diagram of the Jeep in the threatened areas. As I get closer a second arc will light up,outside the first, and I believe they change color. With the OEM front bumpers you also get side sensors and bars will light up on the side if they get close.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is a shot of the display for my OEM sensors. You can see how the color changes with distance, and there is room for multiple layers of alert for front and rear. All accompanied by audible alarms of increasing hysteria as you get closer...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts