2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2021 Cherokee Latitude Lux 80th. 3.2L 4x4
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'21 Cherokee, 3.2L. - <3k miles.

I'm getting a faint "clunk" from the front end when slowing to a stop while braking. Sounds like its coming from the suspension but can't be sure its not brakes or transaxle. It doesn't happen the moment brakes are applied so I don't think the caliper is loose. Only happens during speeds below 20mph or so (or thats only when I'm hearing it...)

Anyone hear of anything like that?

I've had cars with bad upper strut bearings, tie rods, ball joints, etc. Dosn't sound like any of that, but every car is different.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Second or third gear downshifting maybe??? Watch the tach next time and see if the RPM's go up a little...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
_
Second or third gear downshifting maybe??? Watch the tach next time and see if the RPM's go up a little...馃槑
Thanks for the response. I would say it鈥檚 definitely not a shift. Only started a few months ago - had the car for going on a year now. But just to be sure I will watch the tach closely. Someone on a Jokebook group said his does the same thing but it goes away if he turns off traction control. I seriously doubt that but it鈥檚 a button push away to find out.

Registered
Mywife's car did something similar a couple years ago, and it turned out to be a front lower control arm bushing. Clunk while coming to a stop.
I had a noise from my Cherokee at one point when coming to a stop, but it was more of a 'creek', and it turned out to be benign brake pad noise.

Registered
I get a similar click and it does go away when I turn ESC Full Off by pressing and holding for ~10 seconds. If I just press the button it doesn鈥檛 do anything. Haven鈥檛 found a solution. I have a 2016 V6 AD1 with 90k miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get a similar click and it does go away when I turn ESC Full Off by pressing and holding for ~10 seconds. If I just press the button it doesn鈥檛 do anything. Haven鈥檛 found a solution. I have a 2016 V6 AD1 with 90k miles.
Just tried this a minute ago and no effect. Same clunk, click, whatever you call it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't rule out the transmission just yet. The ZF 9 speed uses dog clutches on a couple of gears. These tend to make a 'clunk' during normal operation.
Tested again a few minutes ago. Happens when rolling to stop. Transmission is not shifting, in fact the clutch is likely disengaged as the speed is less then 5mph and slowing. RPM's at idle.

Just made an appointment to bring it in to dealer service - January 3rd... lol. Love what this world has become.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a little more testing. Found it only happens when the brake pedal Is pressed. Sound isn't coming from the pedal assembly, still sounds like its from the suspension (now brakes). It also may be happening at higher speeds than just coming to a slow stop as I said before. If I coast to idle speed with no brake it doesn鈥檛 make a sound, only when brakes are applied. I may pull off the front wheels and have a quick look at the calipers. Since I have to wait till Jan to get into service.

Premium Member
Mine does it. At first they found play in the front lower arm bushings. Had them replaced and it did it again but more in reverse. Found the driveshaft was bad. Replaced and it went away for a bit. It鈥檚 come back and I think it鈥檚 coming from the front end again. I also experience a dead spot in the steering at high speed. I had wondered if something is binding in the drivetrain somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts