Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you all for your help, my audio build is done for now. Lol
Audio control- lc2i
Dash-Jbl club 322f
Front door-Fosgate r169x2
Rear door- Pioneer tsg690
Amp- Kicker Key 200.4
Sub- Fostgate p-500 12p

Normally I don't mix equipment. I just finished install, still tinkering, but im blown away with the sound level and quality. I'll update when i really get it dialed in.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thank you all for your help, my audio build is done for now. Lol
Audio control- lc2i
Dash-Jbl club 322f
Front door-Fosgate r169x2
Rear door- Pioneer tsg690
Amp- Kicker Key 200.4
Sub- Fostgate p-500 12p

Normally I don't mix equipment. I just finished install, still tinkering, but im blown away with the sound level and quality. I'll update when i really get it dialed in.
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Still gotta make small amp rack to clean up wiring
Looks like you could stand the subwoofer upright instead of on its back to free up a little space. Bass is non-directional so it won't matter as to the sound.

How does the sub sound? A ported one like that should put out plenty of bass. :)

Reactions: Scorp

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ya I could, wiring was a little tight. It's a quick disconnect so I can pull the whole unit out in seconds if need be. I grew up in the 90s when car radioes were all the rage and installed many. Ive always had big systems in all my cars.I'm pretty impressed with the sub, it doesn't rattle others windows but it hits hard . I listen to every type of music and I'm happy with it . Would recommend. Yes it will shake the whole jeep ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
As an fwiw, I emailed PAC, they confirmed that they have never tried using a SGM Bypass on the 2019+ Cherokees, this is actually good, in that it bolsters my point that the SGM is what is interfering with the headunit relearn process.
View attachment 214032
Any update on this? I was getting ready to the trigger until I saw they exclude our specific setup! 😡

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,467 Posts
Any update on this? I was getting ready to the trigger until I saw they exclude our specific setup! 😡
I actually moved on to a DSP/AMP setup (just powered up yesterday, huge improvement!). A JBL DSP4086 driving Alpine R-S 6x9s and tweeters plus an factory Alpine DVC 2ohm Sub (no Center channel).

But my buddy @JRBARNES has made significant progress:
UPDATE
You can add an OEM Amplifier ( 68310863AC or 05091155AE) to work with a 7.0 or 8.4 Radio.I do not how but the Amp and the Radio began communicating.I read system status for the Amp with the 8.4 installed it showed all 12 channels muted, as I unmuted each channel I began to hear sound.Tried to do Proxi but TCM failed.Switch to 7.0 Radio no sound, checked system status for the Amp all 12 channels unmuted, went to UCONNECT module EP reset parameters procedure, and I heard all my speakers working. It can be done.I used AlfaOBD and the blue MS-CAN blue adapter with Radio and Amp settings and anytime AlfaOBD asked for it
I will update again after the dealer finishes the TCM module

·
Registered
47 Posts
I actually moved on to a DSP/AMP setup (just powered up yesterday, huge improvement!). A JBL DSP4086 driving Alpine R-S 6x9s and tweeters plus an factory Alpine DVC 2ohm Sub (no Center channel).

But my buddy @JRBARNES has made significant progress:
how are you feeding the signal to your DSP? I wish there was a wiring harness for our systems available.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
how are you feeding the signal to your DSP? I wish there was a wiring harness for our systems available.
Since I have the Active Noise Cancellation, it was easy, using this: Factory ANC Module Bypass Harness for Select Chrysler, Jeep and RAM Vehicles - PAC
Without ANC you would need something like this:
Thanks
Look at this Add An Amp Amplifier Radio Adapter Interface for some Chrysler/Ram- No Prem/Amp | eBay Something like this will work if you do not have existing amp or
you could slice into the eight speaker wires (Pins 44 thru 52) on the 52 connector and feed them to the speaker level inputs on your Amp
And cut the 44-52 wires in the middle (the side from the radio would be your high-level in, and the other side would be your leads back out to the speakers from the DSP)
Looking at the ebay module, as they are not color coded, you would need to rely on the positions of the wires...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since I have the Active Noise Cancellation, it was easy, using this: Factory ANC Module Bypass Harness for Select Chrysler, Jeep and RAM Vehicles - PAC
Without ANC you would need something like this:

And cut the 44-52 wires in the middle (the side from the radio would be your high-level in, and the other side would be your leads back out to the speakers from the DSP)
Looking at the ebay module, as they are not color coded, you would need to rely on the positions of the wires...

So here’s the build I’m looking at:
Alpine Type R S69.2 front and rear
JL C2-350x for the dash
AC-LGD 20 load generators
JBL DSP4086 Amp and DSP.
Net Audio T harness.

Would you say this is a good setup? I’m also considering an AC LC7i and dedicated amp, but the JBL would be cheaper and looks really cool to dial in the settings.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
That looks like a great setup! Remember to run dedicated leads to your dash speakers, and you are good to go!

·
Registered
47 Posts
That looks like a great setup! Remember to run dedicated leads to your dash speakers, and you are good to go!
so I stopped by my local audio shop, and the guy heavily leaned towards installing these Focal components and doing nothing with the dash speakers except mounting the tweeter there. He made it seem like the 3.5” were pretty pointless.

he also suggested an LC7i and Amp (i forget which one).

I’m not sure if they’ll mount or not as they are almost 3.5” deep. I don’t know anything about Focal so I can’t attest to their performance. What are your thoughts on this setup? I honestly was a bit disappointed in his recommendations versus mine, but I’m definitely not an expert.

·
Registered
648 Posts
so I stopped by my local audio shop, and the guy heavily leaned towards installing these Focal components and doing nothing with the dash speakers except mounting the tweeter there. He made it seem like the 3.5” were pretty pointless.

he also suggested an LC7i and Amp (i forget which one).

I’m not sure if they’ll mount or not as they are almost 3.5” deep. I don’t know anything about Focal so I can’t attest to their performance. What are your thoughts on this setup? I honestly was a bit disappointed in his recommendations versus mine, but I’m definitely not an expert.
Focal are very high quality.
These will require some modification (cutting out the basket) in the door to get these to fit.
As far as putting the tweeter in the dash. It will work but honestly you want the tweeter as close to the main driver (woofer) as possible.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I can't say anything about the Focal, but I was blown away by the Alpine (even without an amp), then after adding the JBL DSP4086 (just this Saturday), I was blown away again! And I haven't even tuned the DSP yet, (just using the defaults, but setting the individual gains on the channels to ear) and the uConnect set flat in its equalizer...

I just used the Crutchfield sound compare, the Focal sounds pretty close to the Alpine in the mids, but the lows and highs were ok but not quite as crisp (this was actually a bit surprising, since the Focal is a component system), and its mounting depth is about a half inch deeper which may give issues, especially in the front doors.

I have a broad range of music that I listen to, from Classical, Jazz, and Blues to Euro-Pop, Techno, and Hard/Acid Rock (and still do the vinyl thing at home.) And the Alpines impressed across the range (again to my ear), I will add that I am a Pianist and tune/temper my 2 pianos myself, so my ear has a different discernment, and can be more critical to certain harmonics than others may be.

All the same they look like a solid choice, but your ears need to make the final decision, not anyone else (including an audio shop)!

I just read @toofastgtp 's message and agree, while I do have the Alpine tweeters in the dash, and 3.5s in the d pillars, I like them toned down (just for fill/ambience, to sound more like a hall/studio setup) and like the full dynamic range of the Type R in the doors. With a component setup, I prefer the tweeters at above and to the front of the woofers and within 9" - 12" of the woofers (in the doors, not up firing from the dash). This is where the huge benefit of a full DSP comes into play the most (over gain/x-over setups)...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Focal are very high quality.
These will require some modification (cutting out the basket) in the door to get these to fit.
As far as putting the tweeter in the dash. It will work but honestly you want the tweeter as close to the main driver (woofer) as possible.
The Alpines are more expensive than the focal in both the coax and component sets. So it makes me wonder how they could be better than alpine. However the alpine components are out of my budget at $450. I guess price wise it would be between the alpine coax or the focal component. On the other hand. I don’t want to have any nonreversable changes done especially since I’m under warranty should I have a problem.

I can't say anything about the Focal, but I was blown away by the Alpine (even without an amp), then after adding the JBL DSP4086 (just this Saturday), I was blown away again! And I haven't even tuned the DSP yet, (just using the defaults, but setting the individual gains on the channels to ear) and the uConnect set flat in its equalizer...

I just used the Crutchfield sound compare, the Focal sounds pretty close to the Alpine in the mids, but the lows and highs were ok but not quite as crisp (this was actually a bit surprising, since the Focal is a component system), and its mounting depth is about a half inch deeper which may give issues, especially in the front doors.

I have a broad range of music that I listen to, from Classical, Jazz, and Blues to Euro-Pop, Techno, and Hard/Acid Rock (and still do the vinyl thing at home.) And the Alpines impressed across the range (again to my ear), I will add that I am a Pianist and tune/temper my 2 pianos myself, so my ear has a different discernment, and can be more critical to certain harmonics than others may be.

All the same they look like a solid choice, but your ears need to make the final decision, not anyone else (including an audio shop)!

I just read @toofastgtp 's message and agree, while I do have the Alpine tweeters in the dash, and 3.5s in the d pillars, I like them toned down (just for fill/ambience, to sound more like a hall/studio setup) and like the full dynamic range of the Type R in the doors. With a component setup, I prefer the tweeters at above and to the front of the woofers and within 9" - 12" of the woofers (in the doors, not up firing from the dash). This is where the huge benefit of a full DSP comes into play the most (over gain/x-over setups)...
Your experience has been a big driving force for me to look into these items. The more I think about it the more I’m thinking my original plan was a better way to go. It’s also cheaper since I don’t need the LC7i. how big is that JBL amp? Where did you mount it. I want this to be a completely clean look just like my sub. Totally hidden away.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
how big is that JBL amp? Where did you mount it. I want this to be a completely clean look just like my sub. Totally hidden away.
That is the great thing, the JBL has all of its inputs/outputs on one side. I was able to tuck it up under the dash behind the left/back side of the glove box. This also made wiring a snap!
Since you don't have an Amp or ANC to worry about, you should be able to mount it above the glove box (this is where the factory Amp/ANC are mounted).

Reactions: Cherokee4Me

·
Registered
648 Posts
The Alpines are more expensive than the focal in both the coax and component sets. So it makes me wonder how they could be better than alpine. However the alpine components are out of my budget at $450. I guess price wise it would be between the alpine coax or the focal component. On the other hand. I don’t want to have any nonreversable changes done especially since I’m under warranty should I have a problem.

Your experience has been a big driving force for me to look into these items. The more I think about it the more I’m thinking my original plan was a better way to go. It’s also cheaper since I don’t need the LC7i. how big is that JBL amp? Where did you mount it. I want this to be a completely clean look just like my sub. Totally hidden away.
Focal as a brand is very high quality. HAve to look at it this way. Focal has several different speaker lines they have their entry level and they step up from there. When I built my last stereo YEARS ago i was looking at Focal compoents that cost $1000 a set before I ended up getting Morels. Another way to look at it this way, You jsut upgraded from a Toyota to a Lexus The ES line is the base model entry level into luxury, then you have the all out LS line which is their ultimate in luxury.

Dont get me wrong Alpine Type R are great for a mid level system. In fact i am getting excited for the re release of their F1 status line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So it seems like I’m comparing the entry Level Focal components to mid level Alpine Coaxes.

If I go with the Alpines I’ll have some extra cash for the 3.5s and have (what I believe) to havea bettersoundstage than just two sets of components while also saving a couple hundred bucks over what the shop recommended. I’m sure both will be night and day over stock. No doubt about that.

I want this to be an easier install and relatively affordable so I think I’m going togo the Alpine route.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts