2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee 80th Anv 3.2 V6 AD1
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home this evening listening to some music at a moderate level when all of the front speakers stopped working? If I switch the fader to the front position their is no sound, switch to the rear and I have sound? Its a 2021 w/ 8.4 factory stereo 6 speaker, no amp or sub, anybody experience this? I switched the stock speakers out when I bought it for Kickers...cant believe that would cause an issue.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,508 Posts
I do know the uConnect has a (by Channel) shutdown logic. Did the Kickers use the factory connector or did you need to run a little adaptor? You may have a short or loose connector either at the speaker or at the head unit. You might also try doing a reset on the uConnect...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Could also be an amp overload issue as well. How many ohms were the new speakers? I believe the factory built in head unit amp can only handle 4 ohms. Any lower and it will overheat it. Some speakers are 2 ohms to pull more power from an amp but also put a higher load on it as well. Hopefully a disconnect of the battery for a few minutes will reset any protector that was tripped.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do know the uConnect has a (by Channel) shutdown logic. Did the Kickers use the factory connector or did you need to run a little adaptor? You may have a short or loose connector either at the speaker or at the head unit. You might also try doing a reset on the uConnect...
I ran adapters for all speakers, did not cut into factory wiring. Speakers are rated at 4 Ohms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So....went out this morning to do a reset on Uconnect, all the speakers are working again? I guess it reset itself?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
factory speakers are 8ohms in dash and 4 ohms in door.
Not saying this is your problem I replaced mine with 4ohms.
I would probably check the dash wiring since its extended with adapters.
Seems more likely to have an issue than the door.. which is much more open.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm running all 4Ω and an amp off of the rears for subs without issue...
But yes, the head unit will rescan all speakers when it wakes up... :cool:

Reactions: tcballinger

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Note, the front factory dash have resistors built on the speaker connections (at the plug on the speakers themselves), On mine I have cross-overs (Alpine R-series)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm running all 4Ω and an amp off of the rears for subs without issue...
But yes, the head unit will rescan all speakers when it wakes up... :cool:
I am debating on adding a small 4 channel amp, this is what I am looking at

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you dont have the 2.0T engine that should be ok. They make adapters so you dont have to cut any wiring behind the radio.
That what I have been having trouble finding, the adapter. Main reason I have not purchased it yet

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
One thing I found in amplifying the speakers, was that I always had to lower the uConnect voices every time I started the car. (they reset by design). I pulled that amp out and just did the Subs and with the R series, it is a totally different sounding system!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am debating on adding a small 4 channel amp, this is what I am looking at

I use the 4 channel kicker key and love it

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Reactions: Scorp
1 - 14 of 14 Posts