2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of Power Stop Z23-1640A pads which are supposed to fit a 2016 Latitude 3.2 factory tow with dual piston caliper, but they're about an inch too short. I measure 5-9/16", whereas the pads I'm replacing are about 6-1/2". Does the factory tow package require a different "heavy duty" version, and if so, would anyone know the Power Stop part number? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
I ordered a set of Power Stop Z23-1640A pads which are supposed to fit a 2016 Latitude 3.2 factory tow with dual piston caliper, but they're about an inch too short. I measure 5-9/16", whereas the pads I'm replacing are about 6-1/2". Does the factory tow package require a different "heavy duty" version, and if so, would anyone know the Power Stop part number? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi,

Just form searching around, this is what I've got :

You have the 'BRF' code brake kit. If I get this right, it means this fits for smaller diameter rear brake discs (10.9''). The 'BRG' kits are for 12.6'' rear discs.

So... because of the tow package (with AD1) you definitely have the larger 12.6'' rear discs, so the kit you need is 'BRG' which is part# Z23-1709.

Just a guess here : perhaps the 'BRF' kit fits FWD Cherokees with dual piston front calipers ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply -- Yes, I have the larger rear rotors, however the rear brakes were serviced last November when they failed inspection, so I wasn't involved in ordering those parts.

One of the YouTube videos gives the impression that the only difference between BRF and BRG is in the rear. I suspect you're correct that I need BRG front pads, but when I checked various Power Stop ordering pages for fitment and specify Z23-1709, the answer is that it doesn't fit. Unfortunately, there's no way to specify that the vehicle has the tow group option. I tried changing the spec from Latitude to Trailhawk and the 1709 also comes up as incompatible. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Hi,

Just form searching around, this is what I've got :

You have the 'BRF' code brake kit. If I get this right, it means this fits for smaller diameter rear brake discs (10.9''). The 'BRG' kits are for 12.6'' rear discs.

So... because of the tow package (with AD1) you definitely have the larger 12.6'' rear discs, so the kit you need is 'BRG' which is part# Z23-1709.

Just a guess here : perhaps the 'BRF' kit fits FWD Cherokees with dual piston front calipers ?

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Thanks for the reply -- Yes, I have the larger rear rotors, however the rear brakes were serviced last November when they failed inspection, so I wasn't involved in ordering those parts.

One of the YouTube videos gives the impression that the only difference between BRF and BRG is in the rear. I suspect you're correct that I need BRG front pads, but when I checked various Power Stop ordering pages for fitment and specify Z23-1709, the answer is that it doesn't fit. Unfortunately, there's no way to specify that the vehicle has the tow group option. I tried changing the spec from Latitude to Trailhawk and the 1709 also comes up as incompatible. Has anyone else run into this problem?
A fun read here : Heavy duty or standard Brakes
(heads-up : member @IRSmart is/was a FCA dealrship sales manager, also very familiar with the service world).

Your situation brings up an interesting angle to this complex KL brake discussion : are BRF and BRG front pads different ? Not sure it's been brought up before on this forum.
One thing I am sure of : you need BRG (all around).

My guess is the Power Stop guides you consulted are wrong. I realize now that my mention of Z23-1709 may have been wrong as well, I've checked at many sites and one says they are for BRG, front, but 2014-15 only... go figure..

CarID lists Z23-1843 for front pads, under 'BRG' and also 'Heavy duty' configurations. The 1640As are listed as the BRF option. This tells me front pads are different, for BRG and BRF.
(click on 'Product options.)

According to IRSmart in the thread I linked to, only 2.4L FWD Cherokees get single piston rear calipers, but that's for another discussion.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,467 Posts
I think you might need the Z23-1843 fronts, the ones you ordered looks like it it for the single piston

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A fun read here : Heavy duty or standard Brakes
(heads-up : member @IRSmart is/was a FCA dealrship sales manager, also very familiar with the service world).

Your situation brings up an interesting angle to this complex KL brake discussion : are BRF and BRG front pads different ? Not sure it's been brought up before on this forum.
One thing I am sure of : you need BRG (all around).

My guess is the Power Stop guides you consulted are wrong. I realize now that my mention of Z23-1709 may have been wrong as well, I've checked at many sites and one says they are for BRG, front, but 2014-15 only... go figure..

CarID lists Z23-1843 for front pads, under 'BRG' and also 'Heavy duty' configurations. The 1640As are listed as the BRF option. This tells me front pads are different, for BRG and BRF.
(click on 'Product options.)

According to IRSmart in the thread I linked to, only 2.4L FWD Cherokees get single piston rear calipers, but that's for another discussion.
This is very helpful. I had ordered the 1640A pads from carparts.com so I requested an RMA and they promptly sent a FedEx return label. So now I've placed an order for the 1843 set; it should arrive Thursday and will let you know how it works out. Power Stop needs to revise their "fitment" search because the 1640A comes up under dual piston.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
This is very helpful. I had ordered the 1640A pads from carparts.com so I requested an RMA and they promptly sent a FedEx return label. So now I've placed an order for the 1843 set; it should arrive Thursday and will let you know how it works out. Power Stop needs to revise their "fitment" search because the 1640A comes up under dual piston.
I'll try and have a talk with our excellent service manager up here, about brakes, the differences between BRF and BRG, especially BRG with or without HD brakes, front vs rear..

But yeah, you need BRG front pads for sure, and for front pads BRG includes heavy-duty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you might need the Z23-1843 fronts, the ones you ordered looks like it it for the single piston
Yes, I installed the Z23-1843 pads last weekend and everything fit nicely. I'm trying Centric partially-coated rotors, so we'll see how they look after a couple of northern winters. Went out on a back road early Sunday morning for the bed-in procedure -- it went well and the brakes now feel very good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts