2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The even easier and cost effective way is to disable it using AlfaOBD. The cost of the software and a compatible adapter is just a bit more than that stupid module that you plug in AND you have a useful tool for scanning codes and other fun things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
keeps the stop start in whatever the last selection was if you selected disable stays on disable or the normal op of start stop $150 and worth it to me I hate my car dying at every stop sign dose'nt mess with any electronics and can be removed in about 3 min if you need to have the dealer do something under warrenty but it is undetectable by ODB plug it shows up normal

I have a 2016 trailhawk and disconnected that feature myself the same week when I bought it new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We've known about this for a long time. Seller is a member and vendor on this forum : ESS Disable Module

Installation ? It's an OBDII dongle...

I kinda like ESS. When I'm not in the mood, I press the button. But hey it's your money.
Personally, as a guy that has rebuilt many automatic transmissions in my life, I see absolutely ZERO savings with ESS when the trans will fail (not if but when) from starting and stopping in gear. Jeep talks about saving you pennies at the pump, while they stand to rake in thousands for a trans overhaul/ replacement.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Personally, as a guy that has rebuilt many automatic transmissions in my life, I see absolutely ZERO savings with ESS when the trans will fail (not if but when) from starting and stopping in gear. Jeep talks about saving you pennies at the pump, while they stand to rake in thousands for a trans overhaul/ replacement.
What proof do you have ESS damages the transmissions, there isn't any information out there to support that theory at all. Any data or information to support that?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dunno but is there any proof that it doesn't cause transmission issues either? Like FCA would tell anyone if it did..the Ax swings both ways..
And I can guarantee that transmission oil will breakdown over time..ask any knowledgeable person. That said our tranny's are just made as throwaways period. There is no service interval, there is nothing to do or change on them. So..a tranny with no oil change ever needed, never replace the transmission oil filter, and then people wonder why these transmissions fail? I think its quite obvious. Hell even my moms Nissan Rogue calls for a Transmission flush at 60,000 miles. Ours? Nope. Never. And yes I'm going by the Mopar maintenance schedule for my 19 TH/Elite. And of course if you do anything with the transmission during warranty(as in maintenance) then they can use that against you to deny a claim. All in all sounds pretty scary to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whoever came up with that feature should . . .

A. Get an extra 2 week vacation.

B. Get a wall plaque with a gold ribbon.

C. Have their balls cut off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I want to leave it in sport mode and start out that way with the ESS shut off
So Dave, Were you ever able to make that happen ?

Did you have to pay for it ?

If so, that's just not right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So Dave, Were you ever able to make that happen ?

Did you have to pay for it ?

If so, that's just not right.
Its being shipped and I'll hook it up and test it out next week when it gets here. I'll keep everyone updated for sure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok today is the day it showed up. Installed and took about 2 minutes under the drivers seat of my TH/Elite. The plug in is directly in front so simple to reach. It works perfect and the stop/start ESS is disabled everytime it starts up. It does not however hold the driving mode like in the Grand Cherokee. I only think that is because the Grand Cherokee has a sport mode button instead of our selec-terrain dial.
Instructions for install are straightforward and anyone can do it for the 19 or newer Trailhawk or Trailhawk/Elite models.
Happy? Yes. Seems to be of good build quality and is able to be placed out of the way without interfering with the seat or wiring. Removing takes about 30 sec if that. Its marked well so you can't plug it in backwards. I'm going to keep it myself, but in my opinion it should be a $50 part.
Drove it all day shutting it off about 5 times. Never had a problem once and the ESS always stays off now with no problems.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts