2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 3.2

50 ppm of glycol present in the sample

Factory fill and filter was changed at 800 miles: Amsoil Signature 5-20 (Wix XP filter) used and sampled @ 2800 miles on the oil & 3k on the engine-second oil change at 3k miles with Amsoil 5-30 Signature and XP filter.

Please note that the second oil fill was analyzed not the factory fill which regrettably makes the presence of antifreeze a bit more concerning.

Of course I will scan and post the Jeep analysis along with two others to use as comparison as soon as I am able

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sadly it doesn't surprise me. The 3.2 is not a robust or well designed engine. It uses alot of cheap parts that do fail. One very common failure even low miles are the coolant to oil cooler located in the V of the engine. Mostly plastic with cheap seals. It very well could be leaking internally allowing the coolant and oil to mix there. The oil coolers fail so often there has been a back order multiple times at dealers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A leaking cooler would be far more preferable to me than the more likely reason (s)-porous block ? .

To put the situation in perspective the amount of coolant getting through or past something is equivalent to less than a tbl spoon in the entire filled fuel tank; for our friends way up North that would be 2.5 ml/full tank-I think.

More uoa's are needed in order to make a valid conclusion the issue is that very very very few people request a glycol check and even fewer labs have the capability to directly test for the substance most commonly markers are used to draw an educated guess.

Is this one reason for the superior performance of the 3.2 over the 2.blow-water injection, get it ????????????

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some interesting and encouraging info: 50 ppm is the minimum level of a 'positive' for glycol and is such a low level that there is a high degree of possiblity that the glycol could be entering through evaporation of a coolant leak on/near the block, due to certain lube oil formulations, a copper radiator, loose hose clamps or a combo of the preceeding NOT necessarily due to a defective block or head gasket or head gasket bolt torque issue.

FYI : the glycol came back negative for the '06 Ford Fusion- 2.5-48k and as a 'trace' for the '06 Ford E450 6.0 Powerjoke with about 150k-all had Amsoil which would seem to eliminate the oil formulation as a cause/contributor.

So all I really know now is that the uoa from a vehicle with just over 3k miles came back with the minimum detectable level of antifreeze in the engine oil, that it may be a false positive and that there is a near equal chance of the cause being attributable to something other than a very very serious engine problem.

I will delay my next oil change for another 1,000 miles-4k-and will not be much before the fall should others, especially those with much higher mileage decide to have a uoa please consider spending another couple of bucks to check glycol this is the only way which we can establish the most probable cause.

We plan to drive alot and smile even more-love the performance of both the engine and the Cherokee with AD II .

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
Sadly it doesn't surprise me. The 3.2 is not a robust or well designed engine. It uses alot of cheap parts that do fail. One very common failure even low miles are the coolant to oil cooler located in the V of the engine. Mostly plastic with cheap seals. It very well could be leaking internally allowing the coolant and oil to mix there. The oil coolers fail so often there has been a back order multiple times at dealers.
So the pentastar engine isn't robust or very well designed.......it's actually a pretty good design that's been out for over 10 years, like any engine some have problems, not all. Every pentastar i've had has been flawless and i'm not easy on my engines either

·
Registered
204 Posts
FWIW, a friend of mine is an ASE Master Tech at the CDJR dealership we purchased our Cherokee at. I had asked him about the 3.2 and the issues that are brought up on this forum. He said they seldom see an issue with either the 3.2 or 3.6 Pentastar engines. I specifically asked about the roller rocker issue and he indicated that he only recalled seeing that once since the 3.2 came out.

Dave

·
Registered
610 Posts
FWIW, a friend of mine is an ASE Master Tech at the CDJR dealership we purchased our Cherokee at. I had asked him about the 3.2 and the issues that are brought up on this forum. He said they seldom see an issue with either the 3.2 or 3.6 Pentastar engines. I specifically asked about the roller rocker issue and he indicated that he only recalled seeing that once since the 3.2 came out.

Dave
Might be a small dealership. My local atlanta dealership who did my roller rockers their lead engine tech said he sees them all the time on the 3.6 and back 2 years ago was starting to see the 3.2's as well as they get miles on them. As for the oil coolers there have been part backorder delays many times. Everyone who works on the pentastar's sees those fail. Not always from overtightened caps either. I have been through 2 oil coolers over 100k miles and always tighten to spec. Just cheap parts and bad design. Point blank there are many better engines than the pentastar's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not sure what you would call a small dealership but the dealer where my friend works typically has several 100 new CDJR vehicles sitting on the lot. Haven't counted the number of service bays but it looks to be about 20.

Dave

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,467 Posts
^^^ The Air Force Tans (1505), were my favorite duty uniform. Happy Fourth!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
second uoa done-total miles 7500 or so-glycol now at a 'trace' better than 50 ppm but any presence of antifreeze is a major concern for me.

Perhaps some other members, especially those in the hothead community, will step up/grab a glove and get in the game.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,009 Posts
second uoa done-total miles 7500 or so-glycol now at a 'trace' better than 50 ppm but any presence of antifreeze is a major concern for me.

Perhaps some other members, especially those in the hothead community, will step up/grab a glove and get in the game.
"2.Blow" ain't looking so bad now, is it??? Sure doesn't have that issue...Welcome back!!!😬😎

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
water injection baby!
Well, not since the last B-52G was retired in 1994. That was the last of the steam-powered locomotives. A good friend of mine was a crew chief at Minot AFB back in the 70's. Worst part of the job, according to him, was keeping the water from freezing. That made for long nights in the winter.

Was at Barksdale AFB this summer. They still take off in quick succession sometimes. Pretty impressive, even without the water injection!

Reactions: AtlCade69
1 - 20 of 36 Posts