2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to ask a dumb question but I'm new to these vehicles. Just bought a used (2014) KL for my daughter and I don't see the tire inflator kit anywhere. The owner's manual is missing so I'm not sure where it's stowed. Or maybe its gone (or maybe it's not worth having anyway?)? Not sure. All I know is that I don't have a spare tire.
Anyway, please advise where these are stored.
Should I buy one, if missing? Or just buy the entire spare kit w/jack, etc.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Check your local junkyards, it should not be too hard, or expensive, to find a spare, jack and handle. Try to also get the "pin" to hold the tire in place while you start the first lug-bolt. :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sorry to ask a dumb question but I'm new to these vehicles. Just bought a used (2014) KL for my daughter and I don't see the tire inflator kit anywhere. The owner's manual is missing so I'm not sure where it's stowed. Or maybe its gone (or maybe it's not worth having anyway?)? Not sure. All I know is that I don't have a spare tire.
Anyway, please advise where these are stored.
Should I buy one, if missing? Or just buy the entire spare kit w/jack, etc.
Thanks all.

(Why not both?)

It's an old meme that was going around a couple years back, for those who don't internet all day

Both are useful, and I recommend having both. But if you had to choose one, then it has to be the spare tire and tool kit. And knowing how to use them! There aren't many times a tire inflator will get you out of a bad situation. It's very rare your tire is going to suddenly be flat, but still a good tire. Usually, if your tire is flat enough to not be able to drive on, something made it go flat, and it will go flat again.

To have no spare is to always be reliant on outside help -- that help will always be available, and cell phone reception will always be good enough to reach it, whether help be AAA/roadside assistance, or Dad. To be equipped with a spare tire and the know-how to change it, is to greatly increase her chances of getting mobile again if she gets caught in a bad tire situation.

Tire inflators are great for topping off or for off-roaders, who intentionally air their tires down for better traction on the trails. Go for the spare, even if it's just a donut.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Keep in mind that if the tire is truly flat, not just low, a tire inflator won't be able to provide enough air to reseat the bead.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Keep in mind that if the tire is truly flat, not just low, a tire inflator won't be able to provide enough air to reseat the bead.
Depends on the damage. If it is a side wall tear, then you will probably loose more air out than you are putting in. Stuff the hole with an ARB glue stick. Use a ratchet strap around the tire to compress the diameter and make the width as wide as possible. Alternatively, if one bead is still seated, then you can pull/push to the opposite side as air is used to inflate.
Been there, done that. Works great. An air compressor with a reservoir is best, but is bulky for storage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input folks!
I'm probably going to try to find a donor vehicle in the local yards, and if that fails will just order the Mopar kit with jack, etc.

·
Registered
891 Posts
An option I chose for my Miata was a "slime kit" from Amazon. It has the sealant and a small compressor that will deal with typical "picked up a nail" flat. As noted, won't help catastrophic damage, but then again....1-800-"Roadside Assistance" is how I would deal with that kind of damage without a spare tire. But...I have a TH with full spare and have been known to change a tire in a suit and tie.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
fwiw I bought an alloy wheel & full size tire of similar tread from Town Fair Tire for less than $300. used it one time when picking my daughter up from college. hit a curb & tore a front tire sidewall. glad to have the full size spare cuz I loaded up the car pretty good with the roof rack & receiver hitch cargo carrier. glad the flat happened BEFORE I loaded the car! I forget if I remembered to put the new tire in the back. I think I just swapped it, in place, in the front

1 - 9 of 9 Posts