2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I am in need of an oil change for my 2016 KL. I am curious if anyone has any suggestions for places in Los Angeles. I have been quoted some amazing prices because of the unique location and design of our filters.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Although I dont live on that coast, I hope this helps..I shopped around prices and surprisingly enough I found the dealer to be comparable in price as long as they dont suck you in to an up-sale. Give it a shot!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
If you bought your KL new, don't you get your first 4 oil changes for free in the first two years? I have been getting my first 4 oil changes free for a few years now on each new FCA vehicle I purchase.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you bought your KL new, don't you get your first 4 oil changes for free in the first two years? I have been getting my first 4 oil changes free for a few years now on each new FCA vehicle I purchase.
I guess it really depends on the dealer.

My first oil change was free from my dealer. After that I haven't heard from them since.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That is strange as I have been receiving the first 4 oil changes on my new vehicles for years. I also have a 2015 Jeep Patriot that I also receive the first 4 oil changes for free and I purchased it from another dealer and they are good at any FCA dealership.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Hey all!

I am in need of an oil change for my 2016 KL. I am curious if anyone has any suggestions for places in Los Angeles. I have been quoted some amazing prices because of the unique location and design of our filters.

Thanks!!!
The free oil changes are a dealer thing. I guess it depends on the competition in area. But in reality you pay for that free oil change some how.

Actually the filters are not bad. The air filter you can change or check yourself. Cabin filter is tricky but is also a do it yourself if you are handy.
I would suggest that you take it to the dealer for at least the first 2 years. That will give them a chance to run your VIN when its in for service. Actually the VIN is suppose to be run each time your vehicle goes in. That will give them the opportunity catch any required updates and/or recalls.
I find the dealers are reasonably close to the lube shops in price. Plus we are only looking at 1 or 2 changes a year now a days. That is unless you are a high mileage driver.

What I did:
1. 1st 2 years were dealer oil changes, 4 in total. All required updates and recalls got done in that time. The last oil change the Cherokee was clean of any needed updates.
I used conventional oil. The dealer never pushed synthetic.
2. Then I went back to my regular lube shop that the wife's car goes to and my previous Grand Cherokee went to. At that time I switched to synthetic oil. The difference between the dealer and them was $15 a change on the synthetic. I just had to make sure they did not use Mobil 1 as it is not approved by FCA. They also had an option for using Mopar filters instead of the house filter for an up charge.

Your lube shops should all be reasonably close in pricing for a basic oil change. I would just stay away from those rock bottom prices some put out there as there will be up charges and add ons for sure.
Good Luck

Reactions: Palms

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Hey all!

Thanks!!!
Hi,

The oil filter is *different* than conventional ones, but not hard to remove and not that costly compared to the screw-on type, so if a shop tells you otherwise... don't give them your business because they are trying to deceive you.

Two questions :
1) Which engine do you have ?
2) How much have you been quoted so far ?

Edit : you have the V6 so never mind question #1.
Oh and question #3 : do you want synthetic or regular oil ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a great question... I don't know which oil I want. Is the cost increase worth it for the synth?

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
That is a great question... I don't know which oil I want. Is the cost increase worth it for the synth?
I think it really depends on your driving and whether you have a 4 or 6 cyl.
An I4 requires synthetic oil only. Thus your cost is going to be higher, "maybe those amazing prices".
But again you can go up to 12 months/10,0000 miles as per your oil change meter.
Filter location and type have nothing to do with it. I can remember my 1964 Impala had the paper filter in a housing.
It was actually not much harder than the spin on, though you still had to be careful with the O ring install. In those days you reused. The Cherokee gives you a new one with the filter.
A little oil on the ring eliminate of lot of issues.

If a V6 you have the choice, conventional or synthetic.
The only reason I switched to synthetic is I tow and it offers better protection, though I have always used conventional in the past.
But now I change oil 2x a year instead of 3 times a year. I could actually go almost a year if I follow the meter but I think that's to long.

I have used Valvoline and Pennzoil in the past. I use Pennzoil synthetic now.
Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
To add to what Jeepster1 said ;

The type of oil you choose will effect the price of the oil change for sure. We have a lot of members here who've gotten special deals from their dealership for oil changes : some get them for free for a while, others get them for $19.95, etc... but realistic regular pricing would be around $40 for a regular oil change and somewhere near $70-$80 for a synthetic change (filter and labor included of course). Don't look at the Australian section of this forum, because they pay something like $350 for oil changes, but that's another story...

As far as synthetic vs regular oil goes (for the V6) : regular oil is plenty good. Many of us get synthetic for various reasons, including harsh winters (not a problem for you in CA), frequent towing or off-roading. Most dealerships will put in regular oil by default, so it's good to know when you get a quote because it does make a difference on the price.

Also, make sure the oil you get (regular or syn) has the Chrysler MS-6395 specification per the owner's manual, for warranty reasons. Many oils have that spec now. Dealerships carry mostly Penzoil because Fiat and Shell are partners (Penzoil is owned by Shell).

HTH.

Edit to add : for the V6 Cherokee, you need 6 qts of oil, and oil grade is 5W20 (regular or syn).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey! Thanks everyone!!!

I found a "coupon" at a dealership near my house (but not where I bought my car - I went to AZ to buy it) for $39.95. 6 quarts of Semi-synthetic oil, Mopar filter, fill washer fluid, tire pressure check/fill, multi-point inspection. Tax and waste disposal fee extra. 0W20 extra.

Thoughts? Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Hey! Thanks everyone!!!

I found a "coupon" at a dealership near my house (but not where I bought my car - I went to AZ to buy it) for $39.95. 6 quarts of Semi-synthetic oil, Mopar filter, fill washer fluid, tire pressure check/fill, multi-point inspection. Tax and waste disposal fee extra. 0W20 extra.

Decent price.

One question : which oil is it exactly ? And please remember that the V6 uses 5W20, not 0W20. They are not the same. 0W20 is the recommended oil for the 4 cylinder Cherokee and is only available in full synthetic. But you have the V6 so only put 5W20 in the crankcase. Your engine warranty depends on it ;)

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Hey! Thanks everyone!!!

Not a bad price as was mentioned.
Actually to the dealer it does not matter where you bought. They are glad to get your business both oil changes, warranty work and maintenance work/repairs.
Its important for you as you get a snap shot of how they handle you as a customer. Actually ask them to check for any required updates or recalls outstanding. Its part of your 3/36 and/or power train warranty.

·
Registered
827 Posts
help, i received a reminder note in the mail, it has this little card that says all new cars bought from them get 4 free oilchanges in 2 years and it has my vin number at the bottom. my 2015 jeep was a trade in from a different dealer, so i'm the 2nd owner and never dealt with the dealership that first sold it , do you guys think that i am still eligible for the free oilchanges? i registered to jeep with my cherokee to my address so i think that is how they sent me the mail?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey! Thanks everyone!!!

I got this same coupon in the mail a few months ago. I inquired with the dealership and they said it did not include full synthetic. Since this is Semi-synthetic, it is a blend which is obviously cheaper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That coupon is the same one I used here in Los Angeles. But when I went to pay, the cashier told me there was a better coupon that she knew about and I got it for $35.41 out the door. That's not too bad.

Reactions: Mark_
1 - 17 of 17 Posts