2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted awhile back about taking my car to the car wash and having to leave it running because I couldn't get it into neutral Otherwise. I finally figured out how to get it in neutral so it will coast through the car wash. Keep your foot off the brake and push the start button until it goes to the run position. Then it will go into neutral. I imagine a lot of you already knew this, but in case someone didn't know, like I didn't now they do.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
.... Keep your foot off the brake and push the start button until it goes to the run position. Then it will go into neutral. I imagine a lot of you already knew this, but in case someone didn't know, like I didn't now they do.
Didn't know that. Thanks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm a little confused. Do you mean that from being in Park, you push the button until it's in the run position and then it can be put in neutral? So it requires going to Park and turning the engine off first?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I'm a little confused. Do you mean that from being in Park, you push the button until it's in the run position and then it can be put in neutral? So it requires going to Park and turning the engine off first?
Right. I think what @Suzque49 is suggesting is a way to put it in neutral without the engine running. I tried it. It works. A step was left out though. When the ignition is in the RUN mode (without the engine running) the brake pedal needs to be pressed in order to move the shifter from Park to Neutral.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Now I'm confused...does the push button have OFF, ACC and RUN? If you get in the vehicle with your FOB and push RUN with your foot on the brake it starts...no? It's to cold and I'm to lazy to go out and get the manual or try what's suggested!

This would also mean you cannot shut the TH off in neutral, kinda sounds crazy, come to think of it a lot of our new TH sound a bit crazy...Shoot, it's my wife's I'll stick to my JKU!!

Hey maybe I can sit here and look up the manual on Jeep's owners site??

Wolfdog

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
So why all the fancy footwork with that Neutral button to the right? Is the only difference that with this method, a key is required and using the Neutral override button you can do it and remove the key?
The small recessed N (Neutral) button at the SELEC-TERRAIN knob's 5 o'clock does not put the transmission in neutral. It puts the PTU and (I think also the) RDM in neutral so the Cherokee can be towed, such as behind a motorhome. When this driveline neutral feature is used, the transmission shifter is put in Park and the ignition is turned off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Now I'm confused...does the push button have OFF, ACC and RUN? If you get in the vehicle with your FOB and push RUN with your foot on the brake it starts...no? It's to cold and I'm to lazy to go out and get the manual or try what's suggested!

This would also mean you cannot shut the TH off in neutral, kinda sounds crazy, come to think of it a lot of our new TH sound a bit crazy...Shoot, it's my wife's I'll stick to my JKU!!

Hey maybe I can sit here and look up the manual on Jeep's owners site??

Wolfdog
Correct, you cannot shut it off when in neutral. I would have appreciated that feature doing any kind of prolonged brake, axle, or suspension work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I still have a question about this.. Don't people flat tow their Cherokees behind an RV and that would require the vehicle to be in neutral and off (entirely off). How are people doing this on AD1? How do you completely shut off the Cherokee (no accessory power) and keep it in neutral?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I still have a question about this.. Don't people flat tow their Cherokees behind an RV and that would require the vehicle to be in neutral and off (entirely off). How are people doing this on AD1? How do you completely shut off the Cherokee (no accessory power) and keep it in neutral?
AD1 cannot be flat towed. Only AD2 and ADL with the driveline neutral feature can be flat towed. With AD2 and ADL, the transmission is put in Park and the ignition is turned off. The 12V outlet in the console box is always live and the steering wheel does not lock, even with the ignition off.

AD1, since it is a 4X4, cannot be towed in a dolly either. Must be moved with all wheels off the ground.

FWD can be towed in a dolly with the front wheels off the ground.

Reactions: CRZY4X4

·
Registered
613 Posts
For vehicles with 4WD Low (AD2), you select "N>" next to the Select Terrain Knob and tow in "Park" If I recall Correctly, the Cherokee with AD1 can not be towed behind a motor home.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Only ADII can be flat towed, not ADI or FWD.

Good information on towing in the Owners Manual, 2014 page 589.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks guys! I asked about ADI assuming you couldn't tow an ADII with shift lever in park, interesting! I forget putting the transfer case in neutral would disconnect the transmission from front wheels also, duh. Appreciate the responses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.