2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took My 2014 Cherokee to dealer this week, it was flashing the service 4 wheel drive light. Dealer told me it needed new PTU unit at a cost of about $3k. I then remember the recall which they said it was already performed, the software reprogramming that is. Well, that stupid reflash did absolutely nothing. I told them that I read FCA has another recall to replace the PTU unit free of cost. Dealer said they have not heard that, and is talking with local district rep to see what they will do. Below is what I found:

"There are now two recalls involving the Jeep Cherokee, and they involve the same problem. The power transfer unit (PTU), an important element of the optional all-wheel-drive system in affected vehicles may not be able to maintain a connection between the transmission and the front wheels.
If the PTU fails to engage with the transmission, the Cherokee could lose all power while being driven. Also, a failure to engage could keep the vehicle from being put into park when stationary, allowing it to roll away. Either situation could result in a crash or injuries.
According to a Jeep spokesperson, there has been at least one crash related to this problem, although there were no injuries in that crash.
This recall involves some Cherokees that had already been recalled for the issue.
According to Consumer Reports, some Jeep Cherokees have already had their PTUs replaced but are still subject to the problem. This is because the replacement parts were faulty and need to be replaced again."

"For 2014-2017 Jeep Cherokees where the PTU has not been previously replaced, the auto maker’s recall number is W47 and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)’s recall campaign number is 20V343. For those where the PTU was replaced with a faulty replacement part, the auto maker’s recall number is W48, while NHTSA’s recall campaign number is 20E037."

Sorry but I am not paying for this repair. If FCA does not repair this at their cost, there are other options I will pursuit.

FCA....step up and fix our vehicles!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
503 Posts
This is some pretty important information, thank you for sharing. Good luck and let us know what the results are.

·
Registered
323 Posts

W48 link above

W48 is almost a year old, Tyler has talked about this one cause he received it due to his PTU being replaced with a faulty part number I believe. It’s confusing to me but Maybe Tyler will give some info about his situation and how it worked or what was done.
W47 is what most people have received recalls for with the FACTORY ADII PTU still in the vehicle, and they definitely are not offering a free new PTU with that. Matter of fact some people from FCA believe W47 will prevent the splines from failing and they are wrong, programming will not fix or stop mechanical failure of the splines.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Repair
If the PTU the owner purchased has not been installed, exchange it for a new one

The above statement is from W48 recall info and to me it reads that the customer is still purchasing the new one BUT they are supposed to install the newer improved part number which they list in the recall elsewhere. (See below) But if an old part number replacement has already been installed then they will only program it just like W47 states.

Parts Information
If exchanging the part over the counter, use the following part number.
Part Number Description 68307403AG Power Transfer Unit
Recalled parts: part numbers 68090605AJ, 68090605AK, 68090605AL 68282447AA, 68282447AB, 68282447AC, 68307403AA, and 68307403AB

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am wishing you luck , as I do with anyone who has the ADII PTU failure. Maybe they will pay part of it , although I agree with you that none of us should have to pay anything for a well known mechanical weakness in FCAs crappy design or lack of proper hardening of the spline shaft.
I bought the ADII equipped Latitude cause I thought it with the offroad suspension would be the better, tougher choice with more ground clearance ,but that seems to not be the case.

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,450 Posts
Took My 2014 Cherokee to dealer this week, it was flashing the service 4 wheel drive light. Dealer told me it needed new PTU unit at a cost of about $3k. I then remember the recall which they said it was already performed, the software reprogramming that is. Well, that stupid reflash did absolutely nothing. I told them that I read FCA has another recall to replace the PTU unit free of cost. Dealer said they have not heard that, and is talking with local district rep to see what they will do. Below is what I found:

"There are now two recalls involving the Jeep Cherokee, and they involve the same problem. The power transfer unit (PTU), an important element of the optional all-wheel-drive system in affected vehicles may not be able to maintain a connection between the transmission and the front wheels.
If the PTU fails to engage with the transmission, the Cherokee could lose all power while being driven. Also, a failure to engage could keep the vehicle from being put into park when stationary, allowing it to roll away. Either situation could result in a crash or injuries.
According to a Jeep spokesperson, there has been at least one crash related to this problem, although there were no injuries in that crash.
This recall involves some Cherokees that had already been recalled for the issue.
According to Consumer Reports, some Jeep Cherokees have already had their PTUs replaced but are still subject to the problem. This is because the replacement parts were faulty and need to be replaced again."

"For 2014-2017 Jeep Cherokees where the PTU has not been previously replaced, the auto maker’s recall number is W47 and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)’s recall campaign number is 20V343. For those where the PTU was replaced with a faulty replacement part, the auto maker’s recall number is W48, while NHTSA’s recall campaign number is 20E037."

Sorry but I am not paying for this repair. If FCA does not repair this at their cost, there are other options I will pursuit.

FCA....step up and fix our vehicles!!!!!!!
Greetings LEE1224,
Can you send us a message with your VIN and dealer info? We would like to look into this for you.

Rob
Jeep Cares

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
I am wishing you luck , as I do with anyone who has the ADII PTU failure. Maybe they will pay part of it , although I agree with you that none of us should have to pay anything for a well known mechanical weakness in FCAs crappy design or lack of proper hardening of the spline shaft.
I bought the ADII equipped Latitude cause I thought it with the offroad suspension would be the better, tougher choice with more ground clearance ,but that seems to not be the case.
Trailhawks have ADII suspension so what part of it is not living up to your expectations. The suspension is not part of the recall.

As for my experience. I had the V69 recall done on my 2014 but it was an internal transmission issue and "fixed" with a TCM reflash (which was quite extensive).

I don't think my 2014 is subject to the recall, it is on it's 2nd PTU so it's not the original one but for all intents and purposes it may as well be as it was put in right after it was bought. I'm not sure why the programming of the DTCM needs to be done the AWD system is always sending power at low speed anyways, as for the park function not working well that's why i know how to use the e-brake....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Trailhawks have ADII suspension so what part of it is not living up to your expectations. The suspension is not part of the recall.

As for my experience. I had the V69 recall done on my 2014 but it was an internal transmission issue and "fixed" with a TCM reflash (which was quite extensive).

I don't think my 2014 is subject to the recall, it is on it's 2nd PTU so it's not the original one but for all intents and purposes it may as well be as it was put in right after it was bought. I'm not sure why the programming of the DTCM needs to be done the AWD system is always sending power at low speed anyways, as for the park function not working well that's why i know how to use the e-brake....
Oh I wasn’t saying the suspension is part of the recall , I was just stating why I bought the ADII figuring I would have low range and with what they call the offroad suspension all of it would be heavier duty and more reliable, but it’s not that way shocks, struts, and multiple suspension components failed before 25,000 miles with no off-roading. And people with ADII or Trailhawk have the splines failing and the ADI’s don’t have this issue .
on the other thing I thought you had posted about getting W48 recall for one of your Cherokees during the time period last year when lots of us got the W47 recall , and you could elaborate about your experience with it, maybe you only referenced W48 in the conversation. I didn’t go check old posts , sorry if I misunderstood what I remembered.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tyler-98-W68
·Premium Member
Joined Oct 2, 2013
·
3,393 Posts
#37 8 mo ago

Tyler-98-W68 said:
The transmission issues were fixed with the 2016 model year, anything past 2016+ isn't really an issue
So I got a W48 notice in the mail today, same issue BUT for my 2016 because I had my PTU replaced.......it was replaced with a defective one. States they will replace it with a newer PTU and reprogram the DTCM and Parking brake module

I went and looked and above is why I thought you would know about W48

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Tyler-98-W68
·Premium Member
Joined Oct 2, 2013
·
3,393 Posts
#37 8 mo ago

So I got a W48 notice in the mail today, same issue BUT for my 2016 because I had my PTU replaced.......it was replaced with a defective one. States they will replace it with a newer PTU and reprogram the DTCM and Parking brake module

I went and looked and above is why I thought you would know about W48
Like I said transmission wise there are few issues with the transmission 2016+

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi LEE, we responded to your DM, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Jeep Cares
Do you deal with PTU damage individually in the United States? Please recall the PTU mechanism as soon as possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts